1911Forum banner

Best reloading setup on a budget

15K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  Nick A 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been sorta looking around for a nice new reloading setup and this time i have to do it on a budget. I dont plan on loading up 20k rounds a year or anything, just enough to shoot all summer probably the 5-6 k range and load up some hunting rounds as well. I've looked at all the different makers of equipment out there and im pretty confused on what to invest in. Im sorta leaning towards the Dillian line of products or going back to RCBS. If you guys had to piece together a decent setup on a budget what would it be?

#2 ·
On a tight budget? Lee.

But then you mention Dillon so you're not on a really tight budget, are you?

Not on a budget, you want it to work forever, and work flawlessly, you have many choices. Dillon, Redding, Forster, and even RCBS. Hornady & Lyman ain't bad either.

But if you're really on a tight budget, explore the Lee anniversary packages. Turret or single stage.

#5 ·
Rockchucker, a set of dies for your caliber, a beam scale, an RCBS powder measure, a Lee auto prime tool, and some kind of case tumbler...

Maybe a case trimmer, depending on what you are loading. (Ive got one but I don't use it much. Just .223 and 44/357 magnum)

Pretty much the setup I've been working with for 20 years or so now...

#11 · (Edited)
My dad picked up a whole RCBS Rock Crusher kit with 505 scale,powder dispenser, and hand primer tool think it came with a book too
He is very happy with it but no longer has use for it as My son and I do all his ammo so he can just shoot
When ya get to 70 years old drop off of brass and pick up of loaded rounds makes more sense.
He used it for less than 500 rounds and will end up being my sons :biglaugh:
But he likes to tinker with it:) and has every thing he needs out of one box
Edit It is like the one above
They had 2 sets like that at the Cabela's Bargain Cave in Gonzales, Louisiana cheaper than the add above states they may be gone now

#22 · (Edited)
I've got more or less the same thing myself and it works fine, not a Dillon but your not paying for one either. You Will need a good scale, would not get a Lee but an RCBS 5-0-5 instead.

I got my Dillon off Craigslist, 10 or so years old but new and never set up saved at least $100 over new.

#12 ·
Buy what I've got. It's the best.

Truth:
You can learn reloading on any press on the market today.
You decide what your budget is, you choose the equipment to match your budget.
Starter kits are available from all the major manufacturers except Forster.
Otherwise, this thread will be the newest of over 10 thousand "Buy this one, it's what I've got and it's better" threads on this Forum.

#13 ·
The best set up for a budget is exactly what I`m working on. A borrowed set up!! Borrowed from my best friend who hasn`t had a place to set this equipment up. As soon as I`ve got it all set up I`ll post a couple pics. It`s a 4'x12' bench I`ve just finished, that will have 2 RCBS Rockchuckers and a Lyman S/T Turret press. There is another RCBS single stage, not sure if or when I might use that one. We`ve just decided today to use one side as a case prep center with the tumbler, case trimmer (if needed) etc. The other side will have the presses, scales, powder measure etc. I`ve got the room, so we decided why not utilize the space.

This equipment had not seen daylight in nearly 20 years. There are dies for about 15 rifle calibers or so, and several handgun calibers. I had started collecting the semi auto dies I would need a couple of years ago, 45acp, 38S, and 9mm luger.

With any luck and TIME, I might actually begin to load in a couple of weeks.

#16 ·
If you plan to do 5 or 6 K of any caliber, I would suggest something other than a single stange set up. If you also plan to do multiple calibers, I would not choose a Dillon Square Deal.

I would suggest a Lee turret press or a Dillon 550. The Lee is inexpensive, even brand new. The Dillon 550 can be purchased used (from places like Ebay), for a good price.

#39 ·
Lee PRO-1000 and Lee Die Set.

Not hard to maintain, you can load a lot on on it progressive or 3 pulls = one cartridge, like single stage.

Perry

NICK A

Hello Nick I use Dillon but my friend "DIRTY HARRY" has loaded truck loads of .45s on a Lee PRO-1000.

+1.

I've got over 130K loaded on mine. :rock:

See the bottom of my sig line.

#20 ·
You know I'm kinda new to reloading so my opinion may not carry much weight but I think, when you're on a budget, the brand counts less and the shopping for a good deal counts more. I don't know all the ins and outs of the various brands but it seems that if you shop around ebay, craigslist, gun shows etc, the equipment can be had pretty cheap. My Lyman press is something my dad picked up many years ago for his set up and he obviously bought it used somewhere. There is still a price tag on it that says 15.00. It's probably close to a thousand years old but its built like a brick *house and works like a charm. I would probably be inclined to buy new die sets but Lee seems to be about as good as any and they really don't cost much.

#21 ·
Perry, yes I like the P1000 too. Bolted down next to the Dillon, I keep a P1000 set up for 9mm & 40S&W. Same shellplate and primers, so to swap between the two I only change the turret and adjust the ProAutoDisk using the adjustable charge bar. I do the whole process on that press - decap, resize, prime, charge, seat and crimp. Just like it was made to do. I even keep the case feeder set for 40S&W and use it for 9mm. No other adjustments necessary.

#23 ·
You guys forgot to say "Start off by buying a good reloading book. Like the ABCs Of Reloading". That is how most of the other post start out. I finished the book a week ago, good read. And purchased a Lee Turret press the day after. Going to tru and build my bench this week.

#24 ·
Thanks to Trail Finder he came up with "ABCs Of Reloading" which is a must & no harm to purchase a reloading book on simply the suggested loads for that caliber & such.

I have had them since '74 & every once in a while someone will come up with a buy on a strange rifle load or powder & when we search back we will find it. THEN it is up to him if he wants to load as suggested.

#25 ·
I just invested in the essential equipment to get started reloading. Luckily my dad gave me his press, powder thrower, primer tool and scale, so I only had to get dies and some assorted equipment, but if I was starting off cold I'd probably invested in a kit. Now I've got everything I need to get started... except the BENCH. If I can't find a used one soon, I'll probably just get some lumber and build one. I'd really like to avoid spending $$$ on a purpose-built reloading bench if possible.

#29 ·
In my opinion, you get far more for you money with a Hornady LNL AP than any other progressive press. All the quality and features (and then some) of the 650, at the price of a 550. Hornady also offers an optional, factory supported bullet feeder and micrometer adjustable PM, which Dillon does not. Hornady customer support is excellent, but not absurd(ly expensive). Unlike the 650, the LNL AP can easily be used as a single stage or turret press too.

However, I'm not sure the OP intended the definition of "best setup on a budget" to include "best long term investment". If not, I would suggest a single stage kit from RCBS, or Hornady, or the Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf's or Cabellas, rather than a progressive.

Andy

#31 ·
Getting a single stage is good since later on you can use it for rifle or just plain old brass prep de-prime before cleaning and or de-prime and size to be picked up for later use:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.