1911Forum banner

Firing pin length?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Emerson 
#1 ·
What is the correct length for the firing pin in a CQB chambered for .38 Super?

#3 ·
Occasionally I'm getting failures to ignite the primer and upon measuring the firing pin length it is over .020 shorter than my other .38 Super firing pin.

#4 ·
The pin should be around 2.300" in length. Some .38 Super ammo is loaded with rifle primers to prevent primer flow. In that case I would recommend at least a 21# hammer spring. Many .38 super guns have had a 19# installed in them, but our standard 5" spring weight is currently 21#.

Also make sure your fpin channel is clean, which can be another issue with .38 Super. Some reloads will cause primer flow which can leave primer shavings that obstruct your firing pin hole and cause a failure to detonate like you describe. That is best fixed by using a fpin that closely fits your firing pin channel. Max spec there is .0685" or so at the tip. Luckily, firing pins are cheap and easy to rectify if that is your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.