1911Forum banner

Roll-Mark Restoration

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  crc 
#1 ·
I have a stainless Colt slide that the roll-marks are "faint" in certain areas and would like to have them restored. Since the passing of Bill Adair, can someone tell me where I can get this done? I appreciate the help. Thanks

#2 ·
I doubt anyone can help, but I would not really worry about it. Here's why:

1) Stainless Colts have only been around since 1984 in any number. They are too new to really be "collectible" and find people to "restore" them.

2) From the mid '80s to about 2000, faint roll marks were pretty common on Colts. It's not a big deal or unusual problem.

3) fixing it will add much more cost to the gun than it will add value to it.

4) No one who in the future who wants to buy the gun will really mark it down because of that; it was just not that uncommon and characteristic of the gun.

Re-striking the marks requires removing the existing ones and then re-imprinting the whole series from scratch. It's not something practical to do. Or, in this case, really needed to preserve value.

Cheer up, shoot it, enjoy it. I have a few lightly/unevenly marked Colts. It annoys me when I look at them when polished and in the light. But they shoot well and reliably. The barrels don't separate or rust like other common makers; shoot it and enjoy it.

#4 ·
Some firearms engravers are doing the restoration and/or enhancement of rollmarks.

You will need to call around and see who will do your work.

maybe check here first:

http://jrfrenchgunengraver.com/index.html

I have noticed some forum posters calling markings that have been etched as rollmarks,which of course they are not even similar.

Also, a rollmark is rolled into the metal under pressure, a stamp uses the pressure of a hammer blow to displace the metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.