1911Forum banner

XS Big Dot Sights on HP/FM?

2K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  KLW1911 
#1 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Don,

It depends on what version of FN Hi Power you're working on. That statement is true for the more common FM 90 Hi Powers.

The less numerous FM 95's, both full size and Detective, have FN MK III dovetails front and back.
I put the Trijicon BRO 2 sights on my Detective 95. They went in very easily.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
That's understandable, Don. I don't think that there were that many 95s imported.
From what I understand, the monetary exchange rate got backwards and It wasn't economical to import the FMs anymore.

An interesting trivia footnote: I guess we've all noticed how a lot of FN MK III front sights have the little bap between the bottom of the sight and the slide. Well, that little gap fits right over the Argentinian HP's rib for a flush fit.

#8 ·
Thanks Burgs. It is an FM95 & I should have mentioned that. Sights are dovetailed front and back. It looks like XS offers a version that fit the MKIII. Good news as I've really grown to enjoy the Big Dot sight picture.

Again, this Forum and its membrs rocks!!!!!!

Porter

#10 · (Edited)
KLW1911,

Do the photos show your Detective with a FN style ambidextrous safety? That's another identifying characteristic of the FM95 Hi Powers. That's not to say that the Detective wasn't converted, but the FM95s left the fabrica with an ambi.

#11 ·
Burgs,picked it up this afternoon must be a 90 no dovetail front site no ambi.It appears to be unfired and looks and feels good.First time to handle Hi Power with short slide.Trigger is stiff so is safety but it just needs rounds down range.Also like the ribbed slide.Maybe pics tomorrow.

#12 ·
KLW1911,

Yep, it's an FM90. I'm looking forward to your pics! :rock:
I really like the ribbed slide myself. I've seen FN/Brownings modified with similar ribs and it probably cost a good bit of money to have them done.

#14 ·
Looks nice! Is that a painted finish? On my screen it looks more like matte blue.

Mine came with curved plastic grips. I wonder if yours has been upgraded. :-]

#16 · (Edited)
I don't know how to date the via serial number (there's not a lot of serial# info out concerning Argentinian Hi Power) but they were made from 1990 to about 1994, when the FM95 took over.

Supposedly, they were supposed to come from FM with painted finishes. If it's painted you should be able to tell because it'll look it.
However, if you peruse the Hi Power Photo Gallery you'll see some that look matte blued or parked like yours, and somewhere there's a photo of a bright blued one with wood grips. Neither the owners nor FM is talkin', so..

Mine was painted but I had it matte blued. It looks almost exactly to the matte finish on my MK II Hi Power and I'm really happy with it.

#17 ·
When the FM 90's first hit the surplus market several years ago there was a lot of talk about their finish being polymer over park. So a gunsmith friend scrubbed off the polymer finish and had a nice looking parked pistol. I suspect that's where the photos of parked FM 90's are coming from. FWIW

#19 ·
I bought a new FM 90 that came with a hammer that had only been partially surface hardened. The firing pin beat a deep divot in the face of the hammer within a couple of hundred rounds and I replaced the hammer and sear with BHP parts from Browning, which cured the problem instantly. Since then I've been careful to look out for soft metal on the FM 90's. FWIW.

#21 ·
Project Update

The FM95 project continues:

Add'l Mecgar mag enroute. XS Big Dot Sights Arrived. Back-up Recoil springs - Wolff CZ75 compact 20lbs arrived. Hogue Coco bolo wood grips have shipped. Hogue hex head grip screws arrived. Feed ramp hand polished w\ Fitz.

To do:

Test HP carry loads. Have the mag safety removed. I tried to the point of chipping up the finish. It wouldn't budge. Have Dave at Demon Tactical Cerakote in Sniper Grey w/ small parts in H&K Black.

I'll post pics when its done.

Porter

#22 ·
Porter,

All that sounds totally excellent! You're gonna have a real jewel when you get it all done. Somebody here just posted a photo of a Hi Power done in Sniper Grey and it looked really, really good.

We all look forward to seeing the photos of your Detective when it's done. :rock::rock:

#26 ·
Yes, failed to mention the SFS conversion. The gentleman from whom I purchased the Detective bought it new and had the SFS installed by a gunsmith. I have all the orig parts. But I like the SFS and think I'll keep it in this config for carry. I've no grief with cocked & locked carry, but this profile has the hammer down which will make carry more comfortable.

KLW - somewhere on this forum I read that the Wolff replacement recoil spring for a CZ compact (20lbs) works fine in the Detective. The Wolff is not a double spring. The stock spring I have works fine, but I believe "one is none and two is one" when it comes to stuff, so I like having a back up. Stock # from Wolff is 53920. I have not tried it yet.

#27 ·
Yes, failed to mention the SFS conversion. The gentleman from whom I purchased the Detective bought it new and had the SFS installed by a gunsmith. I have all the orig parts. But I like the SFS and think I'll keep it in this config for carry. I've no grief with cocked & locked carry, but this profile has the hammer down which will make carry more comfortable.

I think you'll also find that the SFS system totally eliminates any possibility of hammer bite/chew.

Starting in 2002 FM even offered Detective and full sized Hi Powers with factory installed SFS and designated them the FM02AR.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.