1911Forum banner

Just picked up a Kimber Solo

7K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Stoneman 
#1 ·
So.........I was in the local gun shop yesterday looking for a small carry pistol. I was looking at the usual suspects - LCP, P3AT, S&W Bodyguard 380, Diamondback, Sig P238 and a few others when the sales guy that I usually talk to says "Have you seen the Kimber Solo? We just got 3 in and they are ready to come to the display case." Of course I hadn't seen one so I said "I'll look at it". I usually research a gun for weeks before I buy it but when he brought it to me it just felt too good in the hand for me to leave it with them.

I know, I know...........it was double or nearly double the price of all of those that I was looking at with the exception of the P238 but this little Solo looks to be made well and I'm a lefty so it fits me well. I see a lot of good comments about the Solo but there are some bad ones out there too. I guess I'll see how this little guy pans out for me, maybe I'll get lucky. I once had a Colt All American 2000, from what I've read about the gun, it had a lot to do with Colt's decline in the industry but mine was GREAT. I liked it better than the Glocks that I had at the time.........probably shoulda kept that one too.

#2 ·
Glad to hear your LGS had them, and that you were able to get one for yourself. Hope yours functions great, it should since it is probably a later production model.

Mine had a problem, but Kimber made it right and that's what counts.

Read up and pay close attention to the spring that the slide stop has to engage when re-assembling. Some folks miss that and up causing their own FTF problems.

#5 ·
Lucky you! I got mine early on, and it went back twice for fixes, now it's finally running great. New mag catch, new slide, new barrel, new recoil spring assy.
A friend is still waiting for his, it's been over a year since he ordered it!

I fell for the same thing you did...I made the mistake of actually holding the gun. That was it. It felt like it was made for my hand, and the trigger...like buttah!

Ditto on watching that spring during re-assembly. Not hard to do, but you have to be looking for it.

Jeff

#8 ·
Well, I ran about 150 rounds of +P ammo through the little Solo with no problems. After the first 50, the gun started getting easier to handle. Loading the magazine and chambering the first round got real smooth. I wanted to shoot more but the ammo is a little expensive to just be punching holes in paper. I'm sure that I'll try some "12 bucks a box Federal FMJ" next time out just to see what happens but I won't gripe if the gun don't like it.

This is my first Kimber and the first time I "broke in" a gun with +P ammunition but I have to say that the gun did in fact change after the first 25 rounds and I think it got a little better after the second 25.

Got it home, cleaned it, oiled it per Kimbers instructions, put it back together, stuffed the mag with 147gr Hydra Shoks and put it in the ankle holster. Looks like I have a new partner, I'm glad the sales guy showed me the Kimber Solo.

#13 ·
For me the Solo was easy to hold on to without the checkering. No one's hand is the same size but in my case, I was able to curl my pinky under the magazine and grip the frame with the ring and middle fingers. In way, my little finger seemed to provide some stability that made the gun easy to hold on to when fired.

#14 ·
Actually, when holding a pistol, most of the hand's grip pressure is on the front and back straps; not on the sides. And the weak hand, which is on the outside of the strong hand; should be applying about twice the force of the strong hand.

I have several sets of smooth exotic wood grips, and have no problems using them in IDPA matches down here in the heat of the summer.

I don't find that smooth grips present any problems at all for carry use; and they sure are comfortable.

Take care,

Rick

#19 ·
Box of 124gr NATO fmj. Had trouble getting started do to my meathook hands but, used extended mag and finished off the last 47 rds flawlessly. Prolly pick up some heavier NATO at Sportsman's today. I shoot 1911's and Sig's so the weight will take some getting use to.

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

#22 ·
It's not the money, it's that the people selling them are blatantly price gouging. From my understanding most honest gun shops make about 50-100 dollars on a new gun if that, making most of their sales in accessories and ammo. To be getting probably 250-300 on one gun that won't even sit in their inventory is as bad as gas prices going up due to "speculation"

#24 ·
I ran a second box of 124 gr, NATO fmj thru Solo and it worked just fine. I think I'll keep it @ loaded with JHP carry for morning walk's and travel gun in cargo pants. So far I feel the little gun will be fine for my application.

THX everyone for your input

Stoneman. deNAM. 67/68

#29 ·
My Solo Rocks.

Got mine back in Sept. 2011 after placing order in May...Payed $625.00 from Dick's Gun Room in Stow Ohio....
Had my doubts about this gun from the get go...So many rumors, mostly true.
Picked it up and checked with Kimber to see when it was made..It was made one week before I had it in my hand.Took it to the range and fired it EXACTLY the way Kimber recommended...Then I put some WWB 115 threw it......
Man was I happy, not one issue at all....About 400 rounds threw it and no issues.....I feel very lucky.......

I mostly pocket carry it in a Nemisis holster.......Did I mention I had no ISSUES with it ?:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.