1911Forum banner

Quick question: Is the Colt New Agent a reliable good...

5K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  KragCarbine 
#1 ·
dependable little gun? Trying to find the perfect pocket carry gun. THANK YOU.

#3 ·
Yes mine runs like a scared rabbit. Very accurate within its intended range and is a great carry piece. It's my everyday carry in a desantis C&L thumb break scabbard. I have the version with the CT laser grips. Really a nice shooter. Only issue is the slide serrations are like a razor. Highly recommend this pistol!

#4 · (Edited)
I love mine. Under 500 rounds through it but not one issue yet.

I thought the XDS may be a better option for carry but it only weighs and ounce less, holds less rounds, and I think the trigger is odd coming from 1911s and other single action guns. I can't shoot the xds near as well as the new agent. Without sights I'm much more accurate and comfortable with the New Agent.

#6 ·
It's not a Colt, but I have a Sig P938 that I sometimes carry in a pocket. It's much thinner and slightly smaller than a Defender/New Agent/etc. IMHO, if your goal is pocket carry, and you want to stay with a 1911 style pistol, the P938 is the only way to go.

#9 · (Edited)
Don't know if it's the "perfect pocket carry gun," but my NA has been flawless on the reliability issue. A tad under 500-rds now and not one bobble.

You do have to get used to how the trench sight was intended for use at close-combat distances. Once you've practiced with it enough, you'll get faster at acquiring the trench "sight picture," which is more like a flash sight pic, and still be able to make accurate COM hits.

The Defender would be the default choice if you have doubts whether you can master the trench sight (or even want to spend the range time & ammo finding out.)

The two small circular "shoot-n-see" targets were shot from 15-feet or so, firing as fast as I could re-acquire them with the trench sight.
The larger COM (dirty bird) target below them was shot from about 45ft, slow-fire.

#14 ·
I've shot everything from cheap WWB and UMC bulk to premium SD ammo through 3 different brand mags - not ONE failure on the New Agent. My 5" govt can't say that. Anyone that hates on a 3" 1911 has never shot a New Agent. It's by far the best compromise of firepower vs concealability.

at the end of the day it's a DEFENSE gun, not a target shooter... so I preferred the trench site to the Defender. Plus the black color vs silver makes it a better concealer. It's win-win-win.

#16 ·
I bought an Agent when they first came out. Never any issues in function. I have to admit, I couldn't get used to not having sights (and too old to try to get used to it). I ended up trading it for another Colt 1911.

#20 ·
I'm the owner of a Colt "New Agent" and think it is a nearly flawless defensive hand gun. This is not the firearm that your going to take to a competition an and expect to win, however, if this is your carry weapon and you are confronted with a threat to life and limb then I whole heartedly suggest this hand gun as your you're firearm.

Please note that this weapon has "Trench Sites" which take some practice to perfect. The plus side of there is nothing to snag clothing or holster when drawing or presenting the weapon. So practice, practice and do some more practice.

As I said above this is a defensive handgun for close-in confrontations. Don't expect to 10 ring a target every time much beyond 15 yards.

One of my problems is the "Limp Wrist" syndrome. This is a 1911 handgun and requires a firm grip to insure that the "action" cycles properly. If you don't maintain a firm grip on every shot you will have FTF, FTC, Stove Pipes, and any number of malfunctions. So grip the firearm firmly. Since I learned this I have not had a malfunction with any ammunition that I have put though it.

To me this is not a "Pocket Pistol" if you want one those look at getting a 1903 Colt .32 cal. and can I say it "Pocket pistol". Al Capone loved his.

As a former (retired law enforcement Officer) If your carrying concealed you need to know the laws of your location. And you need to obey those laws.

Now after all my preaching, if you purchase a "New Agent" I don't think you will be disappointed. Just remember this is not a gun you just go buy, and put in your dresser drawer and forget, you have to go to the range and get proficient with it.

Sharkey 377

#21 · (Edited)
I have owned a Kimber Ultra II, ATI Fatboy FX, and a Colt New Agent. As soon as I got the New Agent I sold the Kimber and haven't looked back. I love the size it offers for concealability and I have had zero reliability issues after about 1300 rounds through her(the first 500 were dry). Every time I carry the gun after carrying one of my full size 1911's I nearly forget the thing is there. As others have stated this weapon is strictly a self defense weapon and appears would do so with great affect. However I have tried to pocket carry this gun and it is just a little too big to do that. I am using a CrossBreed IWB, belt, and spare mag carrier for this gun and could not be more pleased with the package.

The only upgrade I made was to put a brass shotgun mid bead at the front of the trench as I feel it helps me line up the shot a little better.

#22 ·
I agree completely with the comments supporting this excellent little gun and also it's description as a daily carry, non-pocket carry and a flash-sight defensive weapon. It is just a great little carry weapon.

What it is not, just to drive the point home, is a pocket gun. It's just too heavy for that application for all but the largest of us. Since most of us are normal sized people, this is definitely a holster gun.

I had no trouble becoming accustomed to the trench sights because I cut my teeth on a Detective Special back when dirt was first being made.

My accommodation to frequent carry of this great little gun was to send it along to John Harrison for some reliability work and Ion Bond from his supplier. The result is just a dandy daily carry with absolutely no reliability issues. I use 185 grain WC rounds. The gun has a fair amount of snap to it when fired so I wouldn't call it a range shooter by any means.

The only issue I had problems with due to neuropathy and arthritis was the take down. So I got this dandy little tool to assist in cleaning. Now if I could just remember where I put that little booger......

#23 ·
FYI, there were some New Agents built with Novak sights- the Talo editions. There were two series of 1000 pistols each, half in 45 and half in 9mm. I found one in 45 at a LGS, have seen others for sale online. So you could probably find one of those if you want sights on one. Mine has a tritium front sight only.

I think that Talo Editions have a custom shop trigger job also- mine is pretty light and crisp.

Nice pistol, I just wish it had a longer thumb safety and a palm swell on the grip safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.