1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 02-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Colt SF-VI... what is this? Anyone have pics?

Someone on another forum mentioned a Colt SF-VI... what gun is this and does anyone have a pic of it? (No reply on the other forum where it was mentioned) Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 12:40 PM

A quick search on Yahoo brought up many hits. Here is the first one.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Tr...0/coltsfvi.htm

"Introduced in 1996, this small-frame 6-shot revolver features a new internal mechanism designed for better "shootablility." The transfer bar safety mechanism prevents hammer energy from reaching the firing pin until the trigger is squeezed and held back. This 2" barrel revolver comes in matte stainless steel with black composition stocks"

it's .38 special.....a 2" barrel is shown on that linked page.
it's also ID'd as a Detective Special SFVI Frame.

Mike

Last edited by mvician; 02-16-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

Mike... thank you for that info! Looks basically like a stainless Dick Spl., possibly with some engineering changes.

A search of this site brought this info from Str8shot:

"If the revolver you found is truely stainless then it is a Detective Special II, and as noted above it is not the leaf spring action that the earlier models were. I think there was another version called the SF-VI, which was the same thing with different barrel markings. The DSII is a coil spring action, similar to the King Cobra and Anaconda. A friend of mine had one and the action was pretty good for a coil spring, but it had a problem with the cylinder release. The release would rotate under recoil, and if you were attempting rapid fire the lower edge of the release would move enough to interfere with the rotation of the cylinder. So I do not recommend buying one of these revolvers sight unseen, so you can check the cylinder release to see if it is loose in the frame.

Colt also made a .357mag D-Frame revolver in stainless for a very short time. This revolver was called the Magnum Carry. If I remember correctly this revolver was better received than either the DSII or the SF-VI."

dfariswheel added this:

"Here's some info on the Post-Detective Special Colt's.

When Colt discontinued for the last time the "D" frame Detective Special revolvers, they replaced it with a totally new gun, built on a "SF" or Small Frame action.

This is a totally new, transfer-bar ignition gun, which was a modified version of the Trooper Mark III/King Cobra/Anaconda guns.

Oddly, Colt used the SAME "Vee" spring to power the hammer as they used in the "D" frame Detective Special, NOT a coil spring.
In the "SF" frame, the upper leg of the Vee spring powers the hammer, but the lower leg does nothing but act to tension the upper leg.

The first gun in this new "SF" series was the SF-VI, or Small Frame-Six Shot.
People wondered about Colt giving the new revolver this really catchy name, but the reason was, to eliminate any confusion with the discontinued Detective Special which was still in the wholesalers pipeline.

As soon as the last of the Detective Specials were off the wholesalers shelves, Colt simply renamed the SF-VI as the DS-II, or Detective Special Two.

In the late 1990's Colt chambered the "SF" frame in .357 Magnum, and named it the Magnum Carry.

All three of the the "SF" series guns were identical except for markings and caliber.

In the early 2000's, Colt had to eliminate many models to survive financially, and most of the revolvers, including the "SF" guns were discontinued."

Guess I should have searched here first!!!

Last edited by DHart; 02-16-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

were a gun co. but lets not manufacture what made us colt.

The revolver!makes no sence to me why colt cant make a few revolvers besides the python and anaconda.i mmean thats what they do right?build guns?other stuff you say?like what?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Speaking of 2 inch Colt .357s this is one of may favorite "let's go for a walk in the woods" guns. The Colt Lawman MKIII in its last variation with the shrouded ejector rod. Sure wish they would make these again.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

Cigar... beautiful gun... nice photo.

I picked up my NIB 3rd edition Dick Special last night and I love this little gun. I was amazed at how small it is (size of a S&W J-frame) but with a 6 shot cylinder.... really a very cool little revo. I lucked out finding it NIB (truly was NIB with cosmoline and all) for $375 on GunsAmerica.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

WOW,I didnt think 375 would get you anything on GA!GOOD DEAL .
Old 02-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Sf-vi

I bought one of these a couple of years ago from my local dealer who said it had been test fired but was basically mint in the box. It's quite unusual because it has a bobbed hammer (which I believe only the "Special Lady"-another variation-had) which is obviously factory. It's double action rivals that of my Pythons and it's very accurate, placing 158 gr. semi's to point of aim at 15 yards. I like it a lot. -Asa
Old 02-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Banned

scuuup... yes, I happened upon a great deal... only trouble is the gun is so perfect that I don't even want to carry it... well perhaps I'll get over that in time and in the meantime, I have plenty of other "stand-ins" for the job! In some ways I guess it's better to buy a lightly used gun vs. a factory fresh one!