1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-13-2005, 03:17 AM

LAR Grizzly .45 Win. Mag./1911 Parts???

I was at my local gun shop and saw a used LAR Grizzly pistol in .45 Win Mag for sale. I had to have it (I didn't "need" it),.........so I put it on the layaway plan since I already spent most of my money on alot of other guns for my own Christmas presents to myself (isn't that the best?).

Anyway, I was wondering if any 1911 parts will fit in the LAR Grizzly pistol, like extractors, firing pins, springs, pins, firing pin stops, etc.??? Does anyone out there know the answer to this?
THANKS,
Vic
Old 01-13-2005, 09:01 AM

I used to have one.
Fun pistol!
Most of the parts should be 1911.
I do know that the extractor is different, it is longer than a regular 1911.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Thanks BWHITED for your info! I just wanted to see what parts were common to the 1911 and get a few spare parts of the ones that are not common to the 1911/LAR Grizzly.

Yeah, it looks like a fun pistol to shoot! Definitely a "boomer" in an indoor range. Years ago I saw a guy shooting one of these (it was a rental gun, believe it or not) at an indoor range down in the Los angeles area and I was very impressed. It was shooting out a huge flame and making the window shudder everytime the guy fired it! That's when I made up my mind that I had to have one of those pistols someday.
Vic
Old 01-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Wow nice piece... Please post some pics when you get the chance

Have fun at the range!
The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. If that cup is passed to me to do what must be done. When they lay me down remind them, I was just my fathers son.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hbvic
Thanks BWHITED for your info! I just wanted to see what parts were common to the 1911 and get a few spare parts of the ones that are not common to the 1911/LAR Grizzly.

Yeah, it looks like a fun pistol to shoot! Definitely a "boomer" in an indoor range. Years ago I saw a guy shooting one of these (it was a rental gun, believe it or not) at an indoor range down in the Los angeles area and I was very impressed. It was shooting out a huge flame and making the window shudder everytime the guy fired it! That's when I made up my mind that I had to have one of those pistols someday.
Vic
Where was this?
I use to have fun at an indoor range in Orange County with it.
It is amazing what 26 grains of 296 looks like.
Old 01-14-2005, 02:50 AM

OK, as soon as I pick it up I'll try and post some pics of it.

BWHITED, the indoor range that rented out the LAR Grizzly was Target Range and Gun World in Van Nuys, CA. They don't have that pistol for rent anymore, probably because it's not in production anymore, and because of the stupid, idiotic, and moronic gun laws in Commiefornia that now require handgun models to be sold in CA to pass some BS safety/drop test before they can be added to the list of approved handguns!
Vic
Old 01-14-2005, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hbvic
OK, as soon as I pick it up I'll try and post some pics of it.

BWHITED, the indoor range that rented out the LAR Grizzly was Target Range and Gun World in Van Nuys, CA. They don't have that pistol for rent anymore, probably because it's not in production anymore, and because of the stupid, idiotic, and moronic gun laws in Commiefornia that now require handgun models to be sold in CA to pass some BS safety/drop test before they can be added to the list of approved handguns!
Vic
Have not been to that range.
It is fun to shoot the Grizzly at indoor ranged.
When fired, everyone stops and has to look to see what it is.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:17 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to own a couple of the older .44 Auto Mag pistols years ago, and when I took them to that same indoor range, I got the same reaction when I started shooting! They were boomers too! Everyone down the firing line would stop shooting and guys would walk down to where I was and stare at my pistol and ask me what kind it was. When I told them that it was a .44 Auto Mag pistol they still had that "what's that?" look on their faces.

I can't wait to take that LAR Grizzly pistol to that range! I'll have to find out what time of the day on the weekend that they are the most busiest and go there and "make some BIG noise"! That'll get their attention!!!

BTW BWHITED, was that 26 grains of 296 a good load??? Was that in the 1300-1400 FPS velocity? 230 or 260 grain bullet?
Vic

Last edited by m2hbvic; 01-15-2005 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:40 AM

I never chronoed that load.
It was a good shooting load and put out a 5 foot fireball. Cool pyrotechnics.
It was with a 240 grain bullet.

Standard reloading disclaimer.
This is a max load. Work up slowly to it.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:29 PM

Thanks BWHITED, I'll try that load out. All the factory ammo that I checked on seems to be in the 1200 FPS velocity, so I guess I'll have to do my own loads to get any closer to max power. I had the same problem when I had the .44 Auto Mags and tried out a box of the original old CDM .44 ammo (now it's collectible ammo!). The factory stuff wasn't that powerful compared to my own load of H110 with a 230 grain bullet.
Vic