1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Safe Dehumidifiers??

I'm looking for some advice and opinions from those of you who have dehumidifiers in your gun safe. I've had a good quality gun safe for about four years, and up until I moved recently it was kept in an air-conditioned bedroom. After moving into a new house, the safe is in my gun room in the basement. The basement is air-conditioned. I never had "rust" problems before the move and didn't expect any in the new house. However, my silica packs that I use in the safe for humidity control lasted about a year betweeen rechargings in the previous location and only last about a month in my present location. So, I'm wondering if I need a Golden Rod type dehumidifier.

First, do they actually work? And second, do they work by condensing water out of the air (like a typical air-conditioner)? And, if so, how do you "drain" the condensate?

Midway has the Golden Rod dehumidifiers on sale right now, so I'm thinking of getting one if it actually works. What has your experience been?

Any info or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks & good shooting......Rod.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:38 PM

I have a Golden Rod in a med. size safe here in my shop. It works by warming and cirulating the air in your safe while closed. There is no draining req. It warms and pushes the air out around the seal of the door. Mine works very well. It(the Golden Rod) is in the bottom of my safe and it heats warm enough that it is almost too warm to touch. Leave it plugged up all the time.