1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 04-27-2004, 11:51 AM

Just got my Marvel unit 1 conversion

I shot the following ammo thru it. CCI: Mini Mags, Winchester: wildcat & super x, Federal: Classic, Lightning, American Eagle & 550 rnd value pack, Remmington: (green and yellow box) high velocity & Thunderbolt. I had three fail to fire with the rem high velocity and they didn't want to feed for me. They're out. Everything else cycled and fired without a hitch. I need to try some standard velocity and match ammo next.

I didn't get to do any bench accuracy shooting so I really don't know which is going to be the best for it yet. Shooting offhand at 12yds would hit a .75" bull if I held it steady during the trigger pull. The test target that came with the conversion showed .938" group from a ransom rest at 50yds for 5 shots. This thing runs sooooo smooth. I hope to get some accuracy results in the next month if our club gets the pistol range done. Right now, I'm VERY happy with it's performance. It cycles great with a very smooth action and there is very little recoil with the .22. I'll keep every one posted on the reliability of the unit as time goes on. It has about 500 rnds through it right now.

I got it to help me practice my draw and target acquisition with the first shot in IPSC. I think it's going to prove to be an excellent aid to learning greater trigger control as well. When I dry fire at home I never miss the light switch on the wall, but now that I use the .22 I find that I'm not holding quite as steady as I thought. I never know if it's my reloads that cause me to shoot low or left when I shoot the .45 so now I don't have an excuse.

Keith

It's alot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 PM

Just to let you know, it's setting on top of a Springfield black stainless frame. I know that Springfield recommends against putting conversions on their frames for some safety reason, but so far I've had no problems with safety.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:47 PM

for reliable all day shooting ....

I would recommend CCI blazer .22s. Bought in bulk they will run the gun reliably and have the same bullet shape that they test and recommend the gun with (CCI standards). How do I know this, I have been fighting the gun for a year and a half with the other ammo you listed!
I am half way through a case (5000) of the blazers and have had no FTFs and only three dud rounds. Pretty remarkable for the price. Hope this helps. DougC
Old 04-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't see any blazers around here but now I'll specifically look for them and give them a try. The rimfire selection in the pittsburgh area is terrible!

Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 11:31 AM

Last time I bought a couple big boxes of Blazer, the rounds were all sticky with lube all over. I wound up shooting them, but would never try the bulk boxes again. They crudded up my Ruger pretty bad, and were not very accurate. (I shoot Bullseye.) Maybe if they're packed in boxes of 50, they wouldn't be so sticky, but I bet they would still be inaccurate.

Suggestion is to try several brands. My favorite right now is CCI Standard Velocity. But I still guage them and weed out 25% and use the good 75% for matches, the bad for practice.

These CCI standard are pretty accurate for me, just two days ago, I shot a 1.25" group of 5 shots at 50 yards off a plastic rest (testing my sight settings.) Four shots were touching and one was just away from them.

This was the first time I tested my sights at 50 yards with my Marvel conversion. The test target I got was also well under an inch, but I couldn't match it myself. Pretty impressive for a $300 conversion unit. My Kimber conversion unit can't do this! And it cost the same. My Rugers won't do this either, for that matter. They group more like 3 inches at 50 yards from a rest.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM

Thanks Ranger for the positive feedback on the conversion. CCI standard velocity shoot well out of my target rifle but I can't find them around here any more. How does match ammo perform out of your marvel? CCI green tag does extremly well out of the same rifle. I actually found it works better for me than Eley. I would like to get into bullseye eventually but I can't find a club around here that shoots it. Oh well, I can hardly find time to shoot IPSC and skeet as it is.

Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Unit 1 VS Unit 2

Thanks for starting this post. I ordered a Unit 2 conversion last week, and can hardly wait for it to get here. The comparison of ammo has been great. I have started stocking up on CCI mini mags, but now will look for Standards. The primary purpose for ordering a conversion is the need to work on my target acquisition and draw stroke. What made you buy the Unit 1 as opposed to the Unit 2?
Thanks......RhoneRanger
Old 04-28-2004, 12:26 PM

They didn't have the Unit 2, when I got my Unit 1.

The 1 is guaranteed accuracy, but the 2 is not. On the other hand, it 'probably' will be just about as accurate, and the 2 looks a lot better, i.e. more like a stock 1911.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoneRanger
What made you buy the Unit 1 as opposed to the Unit 2?
Thanks......RhoneRanger
Accuracy, or guarantee of accuracy was my main reason. Unfortunatly, I'm the type of guy that want's "the best" and if Marvel says it's more accurate, I'm buying it. The other difference is that unit 1 has an extention of the barrel that allows you to add the compensator. I bought the comp but haven't shot it without it to see if it actually works or not. I have a feeling that it works better as a front end barrel weight than a comp. It does look cool having the gasses go up like a choo choo train though. Let me know how big the group is on your test target when you get it. I was really hoping for something under .75" but you get what you get.

Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 01:13 PM

The MARVEL'S are the s#^*!

I shoot steel challenge matches, man on man steel matches, and the side shoots with .22s at the Bowling Pin matches. I burn through a lot of ammo and needed something cost effective that would be reliable in the gun at the same time. I tried last year to run the Federal 550 pks from Walmart in my gun, was mostly reliable, but I shot CCI minimags and standards at matches. With the Blazer .22s I get the same CCI priming, reliable bullet shape, and reliability that I get with the standards and minimags, but at a substantial price reduction. I am not spending much more to buy the .22 Blazer by the case than I was buying the Walmart ammo for, and it is reliable in my gun. I clean the gun every 2-300 rounds and run a bore snake through the bore every 100 rounds and scrape the face of the chamber off, it will run all day long with a clean chamber and no crud on the breech face or chamber. Also check Gil Hebard for Ace mags, great price!, and Yes, in our experience the steel comp works OK, but the weight helps more than the comp. A buddy had a Titanium comp made for his unit, but there is just not enough gas to work the comp effectively. Hope some of this helps somebody out there, cause I was frustrated with the unit and my being cheap on ammo for a long time DougC
Old 04-28-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingun.45
Also check Gil Hebard for Ace mags, great price!, DougC
Doug,

I was wondering where I could get the mags cheaper. How do I get ahold of Gil Hebard?

Thanks

Keith

Old 04-28-2004, 02:08 PM

Happy with my choice

Thanks for all the replies. Being that this conversion is mainly for holster work, I am glad that I chose the Unit 2. Sounds like the Unit 1, even with the compensator removed would not likely fit well in my leather.
Can't wait for the conversion to arrive, will let everyone know how it works and the accuracy when I get it. Also, I appreciate all the insight on the Ammo.
Thanks again......RhoneRanger
Old 04-30-2004, 01:19 PM

Groups

I went out last night to group so new reloads with the .45 and had the rest and .22 conversion with me . The only ammo I had was the Federal value pack and some Win. wildcats. I switched the slides and shot some 10 shot groups with it. The Federals shot a 0.83, 0.88 and a 1.18" at 10 yards for a avg of 0.96'. The wildcats shot 0.55, 0.82, 0.88 and a 0.95" at the same distance for an average of 0.80".

I only shoot at 10 yards because thats about as far away as I feel I have decent control over the wide front blade on the open sights. If I had a red dot or a scope, I'm absolutly sure the thing would shoot some ragged one hole groups under 0.50" at that distance. I still have not located any std velocity or the blazers, but once I do, I'll get back out there and shoot some more groups. I will probably shoot 5 shot groups next time since that's how I evaluate all of my other guns. Not a single hiccup with ~300 round thru it yesterday. I did clean it before hand though.

Keith

Old 05-07-2004, 06:59 AM

Winchester wildcats are now out. I went out last night and put 350 round thru the conversion. I was having alot of FTF and this was on a freshly cleaned action. Towards the end of the evening, I started to shoot some double taps. At some time during this I noticed my accuracy went way down. I tried to get my bore snake through the barrel to clean it but, it wouldn't fit. I went home and took a look and there was a large mass just forward of the chamber.

I tried my brass brush on my aluminum cleaning rod and got it STUCK! After I got the rod out, I noticed that the mass was still in there. I put the rod on the electric drill and figured it would make short work of the obstruction. One hour later it's still in there. I have one land that is visible thru the mess and the rest are still covered. I used #9 solvent with patches and the brushes and still can't seem to get it out. I have no idea what happened. If I can't get it out, I'll probably have to give Marvel a call and see what they have to say.

Keith

Old 05-07-2004, 02:52 PM

After posting the question about using mercury to remove the lead, I brought it in to work and did just that. The mercury made quick work of the lead problem. Now I need to see what I can reliably run through it. And here I thought this was going to be easy.

Keith

Old 05-10-2004, 12:19 PM

I ran 100 rounds of Rem Thunderbolts on mine when I got my unit 1 last week and they were fine. No problems with feeding nor extraction. I had 1 failure-to-fire, which fired on a second strike.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tactical
I ran 100 rounds of Rem Thunderbolts on mine when I got my unit 1 last week and they were fine. No problems with feeding nor extraction. I had 1 failure-to-fire, which fired on a second strike.

Out of curiosity, how big was the group on the test target they sent with your unit 1?

Keith

Old 05-12-2004, 04:59 PM

The size of a quarter. And this was claimed to be from 50 yards.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:28 PM

Mine is the size of a nickel...

Keep the change!