1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Training Talk & Events

Old 02-11-2001, 06:02 PM

Anyone Train With John Farnham?

If so, what can you tell me about his handgun classes? Thanks.

Regards,
Frank
Old 02-11-2001, 09:01 PM

I've had the honor and pleasure of taking John Farnham's Advanced Defensive Handgun course.

A lot of shooting. Moving and shooting we did one night of low light shooting. I also remember some barricade shooting. Some contact distance draws. Immediate malfunction clearance drills. He also won't let rain or mud stop the shooting fun. That was cool to see if your sidearm was up to getting wet and muddy

He had some inresting drills where you get to handle other students weapons to see if your skill will diminish because you've limited yourself to training with your favorite.

He want's you to shoot Weaver style and will get on you for shooting isoso. He doesn't like it if you shoot with your thumbs down either.

He likes to quote a lot of plays and sonnets.

He also drives home to expect more of your skill and rely less on the tool.

He has testing at the end of class which i heard he has changed since i last took it so it will be different from what i tested. He grades strictly. Very strictly, if you're hand isn't on your torso during the draw at the beginning of the test and you shoot superbly and under the designated time....... it don't matter! You messed up the free hand part......DO OVER.

If i have the opportunity to train with him again i would. You would be doing yourself a lot of good to get some quality training from him. It won't be money wasted.

I'm sure im missing more from the class i just can't remember them at this time if i come up with anymore i'll let you know.

Where is the class and what level are you looking at taking from him?

Ross T.

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 02-11-2001).]
Old 02-11-2001, 09:06 PM

Hi Ross. Thanks for the informative reply. He will be in Eaton Rapids MI 4-28/29 and Colon (no joke) MI on 5-5/6. I am looking to take his intermediate course. Thanks.

Regards,
Frank
Old 02-11-2001, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by faiello5:
Colon (no joke) MI on 5-5/6.

Regards,
Frank
No Frank that IS a joke..........Dang can you imagine having to say, "I was born and raised in Colon"

You'll have a great time and you'll have to give us a report on the class and it will help me refresh.......or heck REMEMBER what i learned from him.

Ross T.

Old 02-11-2001, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by faiello5:
If so, what can you tell me about his handgun classes? Thanks.

Regards,
Frank
John knows what he is doing. If you have an opportunity to train under him, don't miss out!

Press on,
Jim Higginbotham
"The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare"
Old 02-12-2001, 10:46 AM

I took the intermediate class last November. John's wit and knowledge are worth the class. Be prepared to take notes; especially "Interacting with the criminal Justice System" lecture. Excellent stuff.
His target system was a bit tough for me, and the test at the end played with my mind a bit. I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but he will stick with you and let you take the test over.
As was mentioned, he is a stickler for the Weaver and high thumbs grip, as well as a few other things. He will explain it all, so there is no question.
Best of all, John is a true gentleman, and will make you feel welcome.
Enjoy the class.

Bill Lance
Old 02-12-2001, 11:04 AM

Bill and Ross, I am an isoceles, thumb on top of thumb shooter and have been for many years. I am not interested in changing these aspects of my shooting. Will this be a problem with Farnham?

Regards,
Frank
Old 02-12-2001, 12:23 PM

If you're hitting your mark it might not be too big a problem. But if you miss He'll be all over that iso and those thumbs.

You might get a little ribbing but you should try it his way too. You might find it'll work for ya. Give it a try.

Ross T.
Old 02-12-2001, 02:48 PM

Ditto what Ross said. I try to look at it in this light: John Farnam has been doing this a long time and is exposed to thousands of shooters worldwide each year. He teaches what works best, in his opinion. My goal is to train with other good instructors, and eventually use some from each--i.e. what works best for me. As long as it is safe and fundamentally sound, I believe this is what we should strive for.
I have a long way to go, but have a real interest in getting better.

Don't hesitate to take a class from John and Vicki--you will not regret it.

Bill
Old 02-12-2001, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

I have taken two of John's classes. He is a wise and patient instructor. When I took his class I predominately shot a modified weaver stance and John worked hard on me to shoot a weaver stance. When we got to the lowlight/no light shooting my hit ratio was dwon shooting the new stance. He had me shoot my stance and I hit much much beter..He said "go back to your stance." He has an open mind, but is wealth of knowledge. Have fun and learn lots.