1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 08-08-2003, 05:07 AM

Novak build Question

Greetings,
I am about to have Novak build a Hi-Power for me and need some input. My original plan was to have them do a dual caliber gun (.40 S&W and .357 SIG), but after further though I came to the conclusion that I would probably shoot the .357SIG round more often (due to superior terminal ballistics, etc.) so why not just building the gun just for that round. It will certainly be easier for them to tune the gun for reliability in one caliber versus two.

So the questions I have are, How do these Novak guns function is .357 SIG? And, Is a steady diet of this round going to cause damage to the gun?

Until I know the answer to these questions, I can not go forward with the build in .357 SIG. I "assume" a steady diet of .40 S&W would not be problematic, as Browning sells the gun set up for this caliber. But unless you folks can convince me of the .357 SIG's ability to reliably function and not beat the gun up, I will have to go with having it built in .40 S&W.

Can you help?

ktmhk53

The attached pic is what I plan for the gun to look like.
Attached Thumbnails
nvksm.jpg  
Old 08-08-2003, 01:16 PM

ktmhk53, I've built several of these conversions, and have had no problems. It's a pretty straightforward conversion. Personally, I think the 357 will be a bit easier on the gun, as the 40 has a terrific and sudden pressure spike compared to most calibers. You'll also find the 357 round is a real tackdriver.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:44 AM

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2003, 11:11 AM

What's a beast like than...

...go for, Don? Sure looks purdy - think I'd like it with an extended ambi-safety, personally...
Old 08-10-2003, 12:46 PM

Greetings,
I don't know what Don's prices are, but the gun in the pic, in both calibers, goes for about $3200.

ktmhk53
Old 08-19-2003, 03:24 PM

Location: Columbia, Missouri - Birthplace of IPSC, IDPA, and Bianchi Cup
Looks good. A modest beavertail on the Hi-Power would make it more user-friendly to the average shooter, I believe. (Though some would say it's just bad handling.) Just as the 1911 became the 1911A1, I've no problems with continuing with the natural evolution of the Hi-Power. It sounds like it will be a great shooter for you.

Andy
Old 08-19-2003, 06:48 PM

Well, That pic is of a Novak gun, but I'm just finishing one up with the 357 conversion, so I have a price handy. It's a bit different as to finish, and has no beavertail, but the cost on the cust's gun is about $1400.00, and he's keeping the stock barrel in 40. It's going out for refinishing in a couple of days.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:29 PM

Why Why? Why the front slide sererations on the HP?
For the love of pete it ruins the graceful lines of a classic.
Other than that its a very nice looking piece.
Love those grips
Old 08-21-2003, 06:00 AM

Pete Love, the unspeakable passion...
Old 08-21-2003, 11:45 AM

Touche
Old 08-23-2003, 03:43 PM

Hi all... the BHP in the pic belongs to me. The great Kevin Stump at Novak's built it for me about 2 or 3 years ago, and from what I remember it was Kevin's wife who took the pic for Novak's website. (I think she did a great job, BTW! Too bad it's not there anymore.)
I tend to agree w/MattK... the front serrations do upset the lines of the pistol. When I originally discussed BHP goodies w/Kevin, I requested front serrations since I planned on shooting it quite a bit in IPSC matches. I like to clear my pistol by grasping the front of the slide from underneath, so I thought it would be a nice touch. My next BHP won't have them. The beavertail might also upset the lines for some people, but Kevin's beavertail is extremely tasteful and adds beauty to this pistol. Right after receiving it from Kevin I changed the grips to some nice thin black micarta combat checkered, which feels better to my smaller hands.
Going to give tactical 3-gun (rifle, shotgun, pistol) competition a good try soon, and this BHP is going w/me! I love it!!!

Gordo

(BTW, IMHO the BHP is the most beautiful pistol aesthetically ever produced in the world, bar none)
Old 08-23-2003, 05:50 PM

Greetings Gordo,
You really designed a fine custom HP. Your gun is the reason I am having one done much along the same lines.

I'm sure you'll do great shooting it.

ktmhk53
Old 08-27-2003, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

I have sold about four of the guns with the two barrel conversions and the owners were impressed and very pleased. Most favored the .357 cartridge over the .40 for flat shooting and accuracy. This is the buyers comments, not mine. I personally have not shot either enough to draw a conclusion other than the .357 is flat shooting and really felt good.

I had heard that there is a change to the follower of the 40 caliber mag or the follower need to be changed to a different type but this was about 3 years ago. I had not heard anything further. I have ZERO technical knowledge and do NOT want to start some unsubstantiated rumor.

The guns I got in with the conversion had an orange follower (worked for both guns) and the guns with the 40 only had a black follower. If one of the smiths who sometimes read these posts could comment please.

Terry Peters @ptpartner_tx www.pt-partners.com

Do your research you get what you pay for front end or back end.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:35 PM

Greetings,
Well the dual caliber Hi-Power has been on the back burner for a while, but is now almost ready to be built. I happened to talk to Irv from Bar-Sto barrels at the SHOT Show recently, and he said to forget getting a .357 SIG barrel from him, as that caliber was too problematic to deal with in a Hi-Power, and that I'd be much happier with one of his .40 barrels.
Seeing as he's THE man for barrels, I think I'll take his advice and just have the gun done up in .40 cal.

Thanks to all who responded to my initial question.

ktmhk53
Old 03-07-2004, 01:36 AM

Gordo--What black micarta panels are you using on your HP? Any pictures? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 09:27 AM

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Sto...P+COMBAT+GRIPS

Old 03-10-2004, 09:01 PM

ktmhk53, The reason Irv doesn't want to sell the barrels in 357 SIG is because some barrels that he sold got complaints because of feeding problems due to a lack of mag adjusting. It seems that some owners blamed Bar-Sto because the barrels weren't dependable feeders. Rather than fight with these folks, he found it easier to just stop offering the barrels, as he perhaps didn't sell that many anyway. The problem may be compounded by the fact that Bar-Sto supplies all of it's barrels (9MM, 40 and 357 SIG) with the old style "bump" feedramp. Why this is the case, particularly with the 40 barrel, is a question I can't answer, as the 40 NEVER came with a "bump" feedramp. I routinely reprofile all the feedramps on the Bar-Sto's I install.