1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 02-24-2004, 03:28 PM

New Kimber Ultra Carry II

I bought my new Ultra carry on 2-9-04 and after fieldstripping,cleaning and lubeing the gun I put 150 rounds of PMC 230 Grain Hard Ball through it. It had many failures to feed and was zinging brass back at my fore-head. I took it home and cleaned it and the ejecter was broken. I called Kimber and they arranged a pick-up by UPS at the Gun Store where I bought the gun. This made me happy because I had just paid $629.00 for a defective weapon. When UPS was a day late picking up the gun I called Kimber back to make sure everything was in order. I unknowingly got the sales department and spoke to a guy named Devin who was extreemly rude to me. I asked to speak to Devin's supervisor and he wouldn't let me. I asked the owner of the gunstore if he would call Kimber and see if he could talk to someone and find out what was going on and he said ,"No, because the people at Kimber were so rude that I will not speak or deal with them." He also told me that they were going to quit selling Kimbers because of the bad service from their sales department. So after I calmed down I found out that I was talking to the wrong department at Kimber and I got in touch with Dennis in the Custome Shop. He was very professional and to the point and four days later my gun was in the Custom Shop. In the mean time I had put un a call to Devin's supervisor, a guy named Ryan, and left him a voice message about how rude Devin was to me and I never got a call back.

A few days later I called The Custom Shop to check on the progress of my gun and spoke to a gunsmith named John. They had replaced the ejecter and tuned the extracter. They test fired it and shipped it back to me. I got it yesterday and it shot great!! I put 50 rounds of PMC 230 gr. Ball through it. Then 100 rounds of 230 gr. Speer lawman Ball. Then I cleaned, lubed and inspected it. It looked good so I put another 50 rounds of Speer Lawman 230 gr. Ball through it and then 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 gr. HP ( which is my carry round.) The gun functioned flawlessly and printed nice tight groups. At 25 feet I was shooting 2" groups. At 35 feet I didn't do as well but I shot this 3" gun just as well as my 5" Springfield 1911 A1. I see this gun fast becomeing my full time carry weapon ( as I had hoped). If you have a problem with your Kimber don't make the mistake I did and call the sales department thinking you are talking to customer service. They were rude uncareing people that only offer customer disservice. Call the Custom Shop. They are normal people that like guns and understand how upsetting a broken gun can be. So the story has a happy ending with me takeing my New Kimber Ultra Carry II back to the range to test fire some more carry ammo and feel very comforted with 7+1 rounds of 230 grain firepower with 1911 accuracy in my pocket.

Good Shooting, Doug