1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 01-16-2004, 06:01 PM

Several Hi-power questions????

I'm new to the sight so I know this stuff has been covered before but here it goes.
I just bought a Hi-Power today. I plan to carry cocked and locked most of the time. However, what other ways are there? Can't I carry half-cocked? Is it not designed to be carried hammer down?
Also, I'm in the market for a holseter. Opinions on IWB to be carried by my kidney. Also need a deeper concealment option because I wear slacks, button-up shirts and ties.
Also - where to get Hi cap magazines?
Anybody recommend a good 22lr conversion kit?
Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 PM

I recently received two 13 round mags from Numrich, www.gunpartscorp.com, inexpensive ($16.99 each), work perfectly, can be easily hand loaded and actually hold 14 rounds each. These have a metal base plate that fit flush, if you like that look. I aslo have a 15-round KRD mag from www.cdnninvestments.com, @$20, that works well, also. Had the pleasure of using them today in my BHP (which I just got back from Williamson Precision in Hurst, TX with a very nice 4 3/4# trigger).
Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 PM

MOst poeple will carry the pistol cocked and locked. I have enver carried it with hammer down on a live chamber, or in half cock mode. the gun is desinged to be carried on safe, with the hammer back. I carried my FEG cocked and locked, but I would get nervous because it had a 'soft' safety, so I went out and bought an Inglis with the orginal safety, and now I am more comfortable.

Make sure you are safe and good luck.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:26 AM

After getting frustrated in the Springfield Armory Forum, I decided to check out what you all have to say about one of my "favorite babies".

Ok, for a start, if you have a genuine FN (Not FM) made Hi-Power (FN or Browning branded), the safety should be stiff enough to be carried safely with a round in the chamber, hammer back, safety ON (cocked & locked). Browning's manual quite clearly warns against carrying the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Elsewhere I saw that the Hi-Power's firing pin is generally safe against accidental discharge if dropped. Their words, not mine. I paid over $600 for my Browning Hi-Power "Practical", so I never have been inclined to drop it as a test.

Most important to consider is the condition, make and date of your Hi-Power. Mine is one of the MM (2000) make, so it has the recent style ambi safety, and I bought it NIB. I had an FEG prior to this which had the original GP 35 right-hand style safety, it too was NIB. I practiced my marsmanship with that FEG, but never carried it so I didn't notice if the safety was "unpradictable" in that role. Each pistol seems to vary slightly in fit in finish, so it's difficult to say how yours is without more info on it. Hope this helps. Post more and I'll help you all I can. I love my HP.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:36 AM

Oh, and I'm not sure why you'd want to bother with a .22 kit. My experience with .22 is that it's dirty and ammunition quality is very inconsistant which leads to hangs, jams and a lot of frustration at the range. Barely worth the low price. And good, low mess, reliably consistant .22 ammo sells in most places for almost the same price as a box of 9mm.

If you have a Wal_mart that sells ammo, they have 100 round boxes of very good Winchester for about $10.97 last I looked. It sells well for obvious reasons, so if they don't have it handy, just wait til they get more in. It's a regular item there.

These Winchester rounds are distinguished by a yellow, brass-like jacket instead of the usual copper. I had no cleaning problems and I found them to be very accurate - I shot a 250/250 on a qualification target with these rounds. while a bit on the light side for defence (115gr.), they're excellent for basic practice. Naturally the point of aim is a tad different with 124/125gr. ammo, but not by much if you get good at it.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Opinions on IWB to be carried by my kidney.
Opinion!!!!

Don't do it.

There are several reasons IMHO to avoid SOB carry.

First, your risk of falling on your back is far, far higher than of ever needing a handgun for self defense. And falling with a hard object right under your kidneys or spine is a much bigger risk than getting shot.

Second, with your gun holstered behind you, it is in the least secure position. Just as pick pockets love wallets in hip pockets, a gun behind you and in your blind spot is an invitation.

Third, it's impossible to draw from behind your back without sweeping.

JMHO & YMMV
Old 01-20-2004, 09:18 AM

Carry behind hip

When I said by my kidney....I really mean just behind my right hip. That is the typical strong side carry position. The gun does not ride well right on the bone of the hip.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:45 PM

I guess I am the only person that carries my Hi-Power with an empty chamber and the hammer down?

Sorry, dad, a retired USMC Gunnery Sgt MP, who carried the 1911A1 for years, taught us at an early age how to draw and rack the slide on the way up. Believe me..its safe and faster than you'd think.

The disadvantage is that it takes two hands, but the safety of knowing the thing WILL NOT go off is worth it to me. I have nothing against those that carry cocked and locked...this is just how I feel comfortable with it and how I carry the 1911 and Hi-Power pistols.

- Bimmercat
Old 01-30-2004, 04:21 PM

A two handed weapon is a real liability....the army is mucho different than the street....close in, your left hand may be busy grabbing at his weapon or defending from a blow.....if you are uncomfortable with chamber carry...get a double action auto or revolver.....
Old 01-30-2004, 05:15 PM

Yes, I used to carry condition 3, but when you are approched pumping gas and asked a question, that empty chamber seems REAL HARD to load.

Now its 13 in the mag and one in the pipe, unless the Makarov is with me, then its hammer down on on and eight in the mag

Be safe.