1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 01-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Novak Question...

Anyone ever had any work done on their Hi-Power by Novak's? I'm considering one of their packages but would love to get some feedback beforehand...positive or negative.

http://www.novaksights.com
Old 01-08-2004, 09:59 PM

You can't go wrong with Novak's. You can send your gun to them with complete confidence.

There ARE, however, other gunsmiths out there who are just as good and whose work has it's own appeal for a variety of reasons. Some of them are, in no particular order:

Don Williams (great guy with whom to do business, good reputation, good prices, relatively quick turnaround)
Ted Yost (formerly at Gunsite, very good reputation with hi-powers)
Dave Berryhill (now in partnership with Ted Yost, if things turned out the way that I heard they were)
Jim Garthwaite (very good, very reasonable, relatively short turnaround)
Kurt Wickmann (do your research)
Pete Carber (sorta expensive)
Richard Heinie (seven year wait, though)
Kim Ahrends (longer wait even than Heinie!)
George Smith (at EGW)

That's just a few.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:00 AM

I belive Dave Berryhill is setting up his own shop in Phoenix now.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Novaks recently completed a .40 HiPower for me and I was very pleased.

They stippled the frame/backstrap and under the trigger. Fitted a BarSto .357 Sig barrel. Fitted their extended safety and several other items as you can see and then hard chromed the frame.

I just wish I had a 9mm now.
Attached Thumbnails
bhp-2.jpg  
Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 PM

Be prepared for a long wait with any of the name smithy's. Mind you, they'll still be there in a year. A not so well known guy may not be.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:51 PM

Arizona Smiths

How does Robar stack up? I'm referring to the smithing, not necessarily the refinishing.

Ed
Old 01-09-2004, 06:57 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback...

Great feedback and info!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:51 PM

Years ago I was going to send my BHP to Novak for sights. At the time he had a long wait. I had Scott at SDM put them on. He did an outstanding job they shoot and look great . Scott was also cheaper and faster. I have no idea about eithers turn around time now. I have looked at guns that Novack has done and Scotts work is just as good. I dont want to insult anyone buy the way
Old 01-14-2004, 10:39 PM

BB 4XL, who is Scott at SDM? Do you have a website to go to?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

That would be Scott Mulkerin. His site is www.sdmfabricating.com

Scott is a superb pistolsmith.

Rosco
Old 01-15-2004, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BB 4XL
Years ago I was going to send my BHP to Novak for sights. At the time he had a long wait. I had Scott at SDM put them on. He did an outstanding job they shoot and look great . Scott was also cheaper and faster.
I don't know why it is, but Ernest Langdon will put Novak sights on a SIG or Beretta for about 2/3's the price that Novaks charges. So if sights are all you are looking for, go elsewhere.

Novaks did a really nice job on my MK III, btw. Craftsmanship was excellent. I can't speak to turn-around time, because while the guy was working on my gun, tragically his father died, so understandably he took some time off. I'm thinking about sending them other guns to have work done, so, I suppose that's the highest praise I can give them.

Anybody know if they do their own hard chroming, and if not, where they send it?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Take a look at Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Great looking custom Hi Power they show as an example of what they do.

http://www.apwcogan.com/
Old 01-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by criley
Take a look at Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Great looking custom Hi Power they show as an example of what they do.

http://www.apwcogan.com/
I'm checking them out, looks interesting. Have you had any work done by them, or know anyone who has?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:52 PM

I had one of my Belgian HPs done by Kurt Wickman when he worked for Novaks.We used the Pachmayr extended slide-release and a Hogue(?) extended safety.He built a beavertail for it and bobbed the hammer spur.He 'textured' the front and rear of the mag housing,and the front of the triggerguard.He did a triggerjob and 'carry-bevel' package.It was finished by with Birdsong's Black-T finish and Spegel's coco bolo stocks...Sorry,I don't have picture abilities.