1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 03-07-2001, 01:58 PM

KZ-45 that's for sale

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...507#post508507
Old 03-07-2001, 08:16 PM

What made you decide to sell your KZ? Just got mine a few weeks ago and like it.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:31 PM

I guess the polymer just never turned me on. Metal and wood just feels so much better in my hand. The KZ is a great idea and gun. Mine's a sweet shooter but it'll end up being another dust gun in the safe. Instead, I'd rather it go to somebody that shoots it more.

BTW
It's sold
Old 03-07-2001, 11:42 PM

Somebody got an excellent deal. If I hadn't just spend $$$ on an HK, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy it.
Old 03-08-2001, 08:11 AM

Son, your right about the feel. There is nothing like a standard single stack (steel) with wood grips. The polymer feels better than I thought it would, but not the same as my other 1911's. Feels better than some of my other polymer guns, though. i.e. HK USP or Glock. It fits somewhere in the middle....It will probably become my bedside gun.
Old 03-08-2001, 10:37 AM

I honestly tried my hardest to like it. I carried it everyday for over a month. I shot it fairly often and handled it every chance I had. Yet, it just never grew on me.
Old 03-08-2001, 12:11 PM

Son,

The KZ-45 is the perfect example of a great pistol crossing the line over to being a "fine tool" vs being a fuctional work of art. While I too really enjoy shooting my KZ and appreciate all of it's very fine attributes, I am not attached to it the same way I am to any of my metal framed pistols.

Much in the same way the plastic/kevlar acts to insulate the shooter from recoil, it also acts to insulate us against the development of that extra level of attachment we gain with our metal firearms. Maybe we just subconsiously know that the plastic was stamped out of a machine while the metal, at least in the final stages of production, was hand worked/sculpted by man. Subtle as this distiction may be, maybe it's enough to seperate us from the deeper personalization we immediately feel with the natural materials vs the man made materials we all encounter to much of in our daily lives.

Good shooting,

Dean

Old 03-08-2001, 12:34 PM

I'm a prejudice when it comes to a plastic framed gun (pleae don't flame me .) I have a chance to handle KZ-45 once and I found the more square grip just didn't fit my fingers. Besides, it did not give my hand the weight I wanted, may be because the gun was unloaded at the time. Why can't they come up with a plastic frame that has the exact dimensions of the steel frame, i.e. single stack with much less weight. Thks.
Old 03-09-2001, 02:54 AM

Deang:

I've complimented you on this before and I'll do it again; you have a way of communicating your thoughts in an intelligent and comprehensive way that really drives the point home.

One point of interest: You mentioned to me that you ordered a new Wilson CQB. For some reason, the CQB comes with the synthetic black diamond wood grip panels instead of real wood like most of the other models. I believe diamond wood, like Micarta is stronger than real wood, being a composite. Maybe Wilson feels this model will see harder use than the others?

Charles
Old 03-09-2001, 08:55 AM

Maybe I'm AC/DC......I really like my KZ45, and shoot it well, but I also really like my single stack guns. My KZ has been great for me in IDPA, and also great banging around the farm on 4 wheelers and such. I don't cringe everytime the butt of the gun bangs into something.

Carrying concealed, I really prefer the slimness of a single stack gun, especially my lightweight compact STEALTH. I also like the feel of the "quality of steel and wood" of a really nice full size 5" gun with checkering and the works. I have been carrying my CQB concealed, and really liking it, but its easy this time of year. THis summer, I'll be back to the STEALTH.

Two types of guns with enough similarities in their operation to make transition easy, but with different qualities non-the less.

BTW,
Single Action, WILSON spec's the black "Dymondwood" grips on the CQB, mainly because they believe the "black-camo looking" dymondwood matches the clor scheme of the CQB better. It is also tougher and more impervious to the elements. I personally still think the cocobolo presentation grips look better, and that is what I spec'ed on my CQB, along with a few other changes

------------------
Will Fennell
www.camillusknives.com
Old 03-09-2001, 10:47 AM

Single Action,

Thanks for the most kinds words. Yes I do have a "CA" CQB on order through Terry Peters. I did request it in all black instead of the two tone treatment described in the catalog.

As Will suggests, the Diamond Wood stocks which come standard on the CQB were probably selected for cosmetic reasons first and durability second. I will probably change the stocks out at some point to natural wood ones. I do have micarta stocks on a couple of my 1911's and do not mind it's feel. Hopefully the Diamond Wood will be close in feel and durability.

Good Shooting,

Dean

Old 03-10-2001, 02:59 AM

The great thing about the Wilson line, they gold their value quite well. If you don't like the gun, you can most likely recoup most of the money you spent on the purchase, and you can't say that about a lot of manufacturers.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:18 AM

Since we're on the subject of synthetic vs. natural grips, everyone who's interested should check out tacticalforums.com. The site is moderated by Kevin Mclung, owner of Mad Dog Knives. Kevin seems to be a real perfectionist when it comes to weapons. I have handled his high quality knives at various shows. He just came out with his own GunGrips for the 1911 and Browning High Power. They are made from the same proprietory composite as some of the handles of his fixed blade knives. Dane Burns likes them better than the Carbon Creations grips. I'm anxious to try them on my Springfield Compact.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. Very informative; giving me some ideas for my next 1911
Old 03-10-2001, 07:06 AM

Single Action, you should check out my review on MDL's GunGrip in our accessories forum.