1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 AM

Colt commander trigger change

I just bought a 04691 colt commander and really don't care for the plastic trigger. I would like one that has the 3 holes drilled into it in blue, can I get a colt trigger for this or do I need to get an after market one? where would I find one and how difficult is it to change out?

Thanks !
Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 AM

Simple matter of a total disassembly since the trigger is the last thing to come out. If you are comfortable with that (and you should be as a 1911 disassembly is therapeutic and the best way to clean one) then a trigger switch is simple. May take a little adjustment or filing, depending on the trigger.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 AM

Triggers are available from a lot of sources, including most of your gunsmiths. Ask the forum about smiths in your particular area.

They aren't difficult to change, but unless you have some experience and someone who can teach you what to do, have a gunsmith put it in for you. But ask if you can watch.

I know from experience many years ago, how embarassing it can be to take your 1911 to a gun shop and ask them to put it back together, 'cause you don't know where this or that part goes in, and in what order.

If ya gotta start somewhere, do it with a less expensive 1911 that won't make you cry if you screw it up.

Good luck with the project. There will be many more, no doubt.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 AM

There are many disassembly/reassembly videos on the web. Wilson sells a little book that is very user friendly and takes you through one step at a time. It is amazingly simple. I remember my Army days when we had to do it in the dark. I really enjoy a total strip down now. Then I'll take my gun apart afterwards.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 AM

Brownell's or MidwayUSA carry a full line of 1911 parts from just about every supplier. The plastic trigger saves a little cost and probably more weight. A light trigger pull requires a low mass trigger so it doesn't bump and trigger an unintended shot.
Typical aluminum trigger has three holes and a screw to stop over-travel by contacting the magazine catch.

Detail stripping of a series 80 Cot and reassembly is somewhat more difficult getting the extra parts installed correctly. There are long, medium and short triggers, get what feels comfortable to you.

The holes began as a means to reduce trigger weight, some people don't like the holes on a carry gun because they worry about dirt or something being caught in a hole and stopping a trigger pull.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhp4me View Post
I just bought a 04691 colt commander and really don't care for the plastic trigger. I would like one that has the 3 holes drilled into it in blue, can I get a colt trigger for this or do I need to get an after market one? where would I find one and how difficult is it to change out?

Thanks !
Colt hasn't used plastic triggers for ... 15 years? 20?

Black anodized aluminum is the norm.

What year is yours?

How bout posting a pic?

Last edited by pyunker45; 02-05-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM

I have used fusion triggers in a couple guns. Fit was very good and the triggers look great.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM

I have found that most triggers that are labeled as "match grade" will have a longer trigger bow and will require much more fitting at the sear- trigger bow interface. I use Harrison triggers with excellent success in my Colts because the trigger bow is similar in length to the stock colt trigger bow.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM

You can use a Colt skeletonized trigger when they are in stock and available. I tend to use Ed Brown Videki triggers for my builds. Here is the EB trigger on a CC that I did a resto-mod over this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I took the opportunity to do a little fitting work on the trigger channel and bow, and it's like butter.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Ditto what others have said. I would look at Brownells and Midway. Off the top of my head I am not sure who makes a black trigger with three holes.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
Ditto what others have said. I would look at Brownells and Midway. Off the top of my head I am not sure who makes a black trigger with three holes.
Wilson makes makes them.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.c...r-AT-P689.aspx
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM

And if you have never done it before, then to fit one and do it well is not trivial. I was lucky as the gunsmith who put new sights on my 1978 Gov back in 1978 helped me put in and fit the new trigger. Carried that pistol for years, but it is semi retired now.

The most recent one was in a 91-92 Colt Commander a few years ago. The pistol had a short trigger and my hand likes a long one. I had a new Kings trigger in my parts box. The grips are some from the old Ajax Co. I took the picture below to show one could have a used Colt Commander for less than a new Ruger Commander. Even though I have fit a new trigger in a 1911 a "few" times I always give myself enough time and do not rush it.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:18 PM

I had a Wilson Combat trigger in mine, but I didn't like the two little holes showing. So I put in a Cylinder & Slide trigger. But I don't believe they come blued.

Actually, I think I still have one, but not blued. I'll give it to you if you want it.

The only person a Gun Free Zone protects is the person doing the shooting.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
There are many disassembly/reassembly videos on the web. Wilson sells a little book that is very user friendly and takes you through one step at a time. It is amazingly simple. I remember my Army days when we had to do it in the dark. I really enjoy a total strip down now. Then I'll take my gun apart afterwards.
I saw what you did there.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Thanks for all the replys, and thanks for the offer Snokel that is very nice of you, but I think I'm going to get a blue one. I will check with brownells and midway to see what I can find.

Ray