1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Micro Compact in .40 S&W

Anyone have any thoughts on a used Micro Compact in .40 S&W? I am finding a few for what seem to be reasonable prices. Any known/consistant problems with these over, say, the compact 9mm 1911s?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:56 AM

Bigsky ... To avoid confusion, the Springfield Micro-Compact (now discontinued) is only available in .45acp. Springfield offers the EMP (enhanced micro pistol) in both 9mm & .40 S&W. While all three pistols feature a 3" barrel, the EMP series has a smaller grip frame then the Micro-compact as it was built specifically around the 9mm cartridge (alloy grip frame) and then adapted to the .40 S&W round with use of a carbon steel grip frame. While there is much love out there for the EMP series and in my experience are fine little pistols (I personally prefer the 9mm over the .40 due to the difference in felt recoil), as with all short barrel 1911 style pistols, when there is a complaint lodged it generally seems to be a reliability issue related of chambering or extraction of a round. I personally have carried a Micro-compact for 6+ years with no reliability issues and have a used EMP 9mm on my short list if/when I find one at the right price. Hope that it helps ... good luck with your search

Last edited by BuckJM53; 02-01-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:35 PM

I am looking at one right now that says MICRO COMPACT CAL.40 S&W right now. It does not say EMP. I am told it is also in 9mm. Both discontinued.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Yes, Springfield DID make some .40 cal MICRO Compacts years ago. They also made some .40 cal Champions (all stainless), and some full size models. Like the similar Colt .40 cal 1911s of that 'era', they were not strong sellers, and were discontinued after a short time.
This older MICRO in .40 is a LIGHTWEIGHT model with an aluminum/alloy frame... as the current EMP in .40 only comes with a steel frame... so the MICRO does have the advantage of being lighter for a carry piece.

Some of the various 1911s in .40 cal have been known to be occasionally sensitive to magazine choice/design. But they are really just another version of the basic 1911 platform, and subject to the same tuning and "attention to detail" of other modernized 1911s (in smaller calibers and with shorter barrels/slides)... which means proper spring combinations/maintenance, extractor tension/fitment, quality ammo, reliable magazines, and specific shooting techniques.
If you like the pistol's size/weight (assuming it is for concealed carry), the caliber/ammo choice (I feel the .40 has a good following in the ammo industry), and the price is 'right'...
then I don't see a problem with this particular Springfield 1911.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig SAS P220 Compact, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build, S&W 329NG .44mag.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptymag View Post
Yes, Springfield DID make some .40 cal MICRO Compacts years ago.
I stand corrected ... My apologies to the OP . Until today I had not seen nor heard of the Micro-compact being manufactured in .40 S&W (always interested in learning something new )