1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-15-2003, 10:48 PM

Series 80 Grip Safety

If you have ever disassembled a Series 80 type pistol you may have noted that the tail of the Grip Safety reduces drastically in thickness at the end in order to clear the firing pin safety linkage. I have found, on my Para Ordnance P-14, that the tail of the Grip Safety wears (after firing 8,000 rounds or so) against the trigger bow enough to eventually disable the grip safety function. So far I have had to replaced the Grip Safety twice (supplied at no cost by Para Ordnance). I have now case hardened the last 1/8" of the tail and have detected no appreciable wear in the last 10,000 rounds.

ROMAD, USAF MSgt (ret), NRA Life Member, Member LEAA, GOA, JPFO.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:39 PM

That seems like a useful tip - can you elaborate on the method you use for the case hardening? I also have noticed this wear on a Series 80 Commander.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:46 PM

I used a couple of products from Brownells. First I covered everything but the end of the tab with their Heat Stop Paste, then treated the tip with KASENIT. Just follow the instructions on the can.

Old 08-16-2003, 05:11 PM

Thanks, I'll check my catalog for those products. Need to order some other stuff from Brownells soon anyway.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:47 PM

Is that Para Ordnance really a Series 80 type gun? In the Series 80, the grip safety has nothing to do with the firing pin block. It sounds like the pistol uses the Swartz type firing pin lock, which is operated by the grip safety and the company did no harden the part enough. Too bad when the customer has to do what the factory should have done!

BTW, both products you mention are great. Kasenit is great stuff for sears and hammers, too, after you get the pull just right.

Jim
Old 08-16-2003, 09:48 PM

In a Series 80 the mechanism to actuate the firing pin block, while activated by the trigger, requires the thickness of the end of the Grip Safety tab be reduced in order to clear the linkage. It is a little hard to describe but very evident if you compare the two grip safety units side by side.

Old 08-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Banned

Jim Keenan,

Maybe the attached Pic will help. The one on the left is a series 70. The one on the right is a series 80. Notice how the nose has been thinned.
Attached Thumbnails
series 70 and 80.jpg