1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Rimfire!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Average Moderator

Nelson Custom Guns Conversion

I saw this thread* a while back and decided to order one. I don't have a lot of range time with it yet, but it has been completely reliable with CCI Mini-Mags and the Nelson mags. The Kimber mags occasionally balk. However, I made it through a 5 stage steel match (25 strings) this weekend with 2 Nelson mags, 2 Kimber mags & 1 GSG mag with only a couple of malfunctions.

Accuracy seems great; WAY more than is needed at a steel match. I haven't put it on paper yet, but my standard accuracy test is hitting a 1/3rd size Pepper Popper @ 72 yards. This gun made it easy to hit it several times in a row. If I can hit it twice in a 5 shot string I'm usually satisfied.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:13 AM

Results of 25 yd. benchrested with Aquilla "Super Extra" (middle of the road target ammo) and Nelson conversion with 1.5 min. Adco dot scope:

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM

JUST got my Nelson Custom .22 Rimfire Conversion yesterday!
WOW!!!
This is something very special! QUALITY! COMPLETE!

I got mine w/ threaded barrel. (I didn't have to ask for, or pay extra for thread protector) Magazines are TOP quality, and extra magazines are available, AND affordable. I can't wait to try it out. Larry Nelson is such a Class act. What a pleasure to deal with. The fit and finish and overall quality of the conversion might well exceed the pistol its going on.
These are a BARGIN. Highly recommended. I have 500 rnds of Aguila too!
These are Marvel design, w/ some updated details in quality of materials and execution. When you receive yours it will be in quality plastic clam shell case,
with good quality instructions, installation tool, and some quality lube, and one magazine, with a slick mag loader "Button".
I cannot help but be excited. This is TOTAL WIN!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM

Small world. I got my conversion yesterday as well. My initial impression is the same, this is a quality piece of kit and you get a lot for your money. I dug out my .22 ammo can in preparation this past weekend. Mainly wanted to see what I had left. It looks like I have about 7 boxes of T22 left, < 2 boxes of Wolf MT, and < a box of old Fiocchi. That should be enough to give it a good test run however.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Larry Nelson and the 22 conversion are Class Act

Speaking of class act: I had placed an order on their website and Larry called me! We chatted and he asked what ammo I prefer to shoot with. Told him I use Lapua SK Standard. Larry said the conversion will be chambered for my ammo. A few days later, I received my conversion and it fitted on my Kimber 1911 perfectly, no play and it was silky smooth.

I had to be patient for the weekend but was too excited to wait so broke down and went to West Coast Armory last night to try it. It was like living in a dream: the bullets landed where I thought it should. I had just started shooting 'seriously' every other weekend since July (3.5 months ago). Last night, at 12.5 meters I was able to get my best (attached). Consistently, I was placing shots in the x. This morning, I sent Larry an email with 4 questions and instead of emailing me he called!!! Again he showed class act: old school customer service.

Now I am thinking of asking Larry for a custom 1911...but need to save another year for it.

Anyone interested in my Kimber conversion with 3 magazines, it is only 3 months old?

Thank You Larry!
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
best shots.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 PM

I purchased a Nighthawk version. A superb 22 conversion. Then I bought one of Bob Marvels Custom Pro II with his special treatment on the chambering. These conversions are basically the same. Not one misfeed or other problem. I have switched the Nighthawk barrel for a Nelson with a better chambering. The accuracy (Bullseye) from the NH barrel was not bad, but it was generously opened at the chamber to feed most any ammo. Cases were bulged a little at the rear bottom by the rim. I would buy Nelson versions or straight from Bob Marvel for now on.

I am going to sell my Marvel Precision and Advantage Arms units.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM

BTW, for anybody else out there that thinks its rude to talk about a conversion and not offer pics as well as a website, I will at least offer up the website:

www.nelsoncustomguns.com

Cool looking conversion I have to say!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Mine has seen a few thousand rounds. It runs extremely well even with cheap old ammo. I ran a lot of crusty rusty old 22LR loads that I got from and old man. I was surprised that it ran them all they were that bad. Here it is on My Colt CCG frame:

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Thanks Ohshot!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball45 View Post
I would buy Nelson versions or straight from Bob Marvel for now on. I am going to sell my Marvel Precision and Advantage Arms units.
For those who don't know....

Bob Marvel has not had anything to do with Marvel Precision for almost a decade. Bob was essentially kicked out of the company he founded when he objected to the changes that the new owners were making to his products. He sued to get the name of his company back and lost. The units sold by Marvel today are not true to Bob's original designs, despite having his name on them.

Nelson Custom sells a true Bob Marvel design with all of the improvements he's engineered over the past 10 years.

I have one and it frickin rocks. It eats the .22's that have rolled around on the floor of my truck for 25 yrs and spits them into a little bitty group that are less the 3/4 of an inch at 25 yds. The gun would probably do half that when shot by someone who can actually see the front sight.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 PM

Advice used...

Ordered a sight rail/standard barrel conversion and a spare scope rail/threaded barrel, so I don't have to install/remove the C-More scope. And extra mags, spare parts. Sold both my Unit 1 and Unit 2 "Marvel" units and bought this. Hope you all are right!

The overriding reason for the change is weight and slide configuration. The mostly-aluminum construction of the originals never seemed right to me.

I can see right now, I have a gadget problem .
Old 10-31-2013, 12:42 PM

Just ordered myself a Nelson 22LR conversion. with all the positive feedback on here and the fact that they are cheap to shoot i couldn't resist! If i'm saving $25.00 every fifty rounds i shoot with it it will pay for itself in less than six months.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:24 PM

suitable for RANGE OFFICER?

Has anyone tried the Nelson .22 conversion on a Springfield Armory RANGE OFFICER yet? The reason for my question is NOTE 3 of the Nelson Instruction booklet.

Quote:
Notes:
1. On rare occasions when the chamber is loaded from slide lock, failures to feed can occur. This can be remedied by the slide being drawn completely to the rear for maximum travel.
2. Some STI Single Stack factory mag catches must be replaced with a standard mag catch in order to use this conversion unit.
3. This conversion unit may not function in some Springfield Armory 1911’s due to a non-standard ejector.
Any experience or insight on this combination would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
For those who don't know....

Bob Marvel has not had anything to do with Marvel Precision for almost a decade. Bob was essentially kicked out of the company he founded when he objected to the changes that the new owners were making to his products. He sued to get the name of his company back and lost. The units sold by Marvel today are not true to Bob's original designs, despite having his name on them.

Nelson Custom sells a true Bob Marvel design with all of the improvements he's engineered over the past 10 years.

I have one and it frickin rocks. It eats the .22's that have rolled around on the floor of my truck for 25 yrs and spits them into a little bitty group that are less the 3/4 of an inch at 25 yds. The gun would probably do half that when shot by someone who can actually see the front sight.

There are two Marvels.

Otto told you about "Marvel Precision".

"Bob Marvel Custom Guns" is Bob himself and he's still selling conversions
of his own design and manufacture.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfox View Post
Has anyone tried the Nelson .22 conversion on a Springfield Armory RANGE OFFICER yet? The reason for my question is NOTE 3 of the Nelson Instruction booklet.

Any experience or insight on this combination would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
as soon as i get mine I'll fill you in on how it functions, i have a SA 1911A1 that i just did a loaded package on.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Received the conversion today- marvelous machining, fit. Shooting tomorrow and will report, in depth.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM

I queried Springfield Armory regarding compatibility of their RANGE OFFICER with the Nelson Custom .22 LR Conversion. Here's what they had to say:

Quote:
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 10:50 AM
To: George Fox Lang
Subject: RE: Nelson Custom .22LR conversion

Yes the Marvel will work with an extended ejector, if the Nelson won’t the ejector can be shortened or replaced…it can certainly be installed on an SA 1911…

Dave

Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:29 AM
To: Dave Williams
Subject: Re: Nelson Custom .22LR conversion

Thank you, Dave!

One question – when you install a Marvel conversion, can it function with an extended ejector or do you fit a GI ejector?

With best regards,

George

Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:30 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: FW: Nelson Custom .22LR conversion

George,

Thanks for your inquiry! We have installed dozens of Marvel .22 conversion units without issue. Maybe the Nelson unit requires a GI ejector? Most of our ejectors are the more popular extended units? One thing one needs to check is that some .22 conversions are unsafe without a hammer that has a GI half cock notch This would apply to some of our 1911’s and all Colt series 80 1911’s with certain conversion units… According to your serial number your hammer should be OK…We do not sell frames, but through the custom shop we could fit a complete lower to your provided .22 conversion unit. If interested please give me the detailed specs of the lower such as beavertail, what kind of thumb safety, front strap checkering if any, etc…We would finish the complete pistol in Armory Kote.

Best regards,

Dave Williams

Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 1:10 PM
To: Deb E
Subject: Nelson Custom .22LR conversion

Note: This message was previously sent to sales@springfield armory.com, but has gone unanswered.

Gentlemen,

I own one of your fine RANGE OFFICER pistols and love it! It is everything I wanted in a 1911 range gun. I use it a lot and smile every time.

I would like to purchase a .22LR “upper” from Nelson Custom Guns, LLC to use with my Springfield frame (NM 25xxxxx). However, the Nelson instruction manual cautions “This conversion unit may not function in some Springfield Armory 1911’s due to a non-standard ejector.” So, is my ejector “non-standard”? Will the Nelson upper work with my frame? Would I need to modify me Range Officer to accept the Nelson Parts? Would you offer to do this for me?

If it should turn out that Nelson and Springfield are compatible, could I buy a “lower frame” from you to use as a dedicated .22LR platform? Have you ever considered offering a .22LR 1911 pistol ala Kimber?

With best regards,

George Fox Lang
Hatfield, PA
So it looks like it will fit and function. I believe I am scant hours away from a definitive answer - my Nelson upper is somewhere on a Federal Express truck within 30 miles. However, Federales Express has disgraced themselves by adding three days to their estimated delivery - all of it in the local Philadelphia area, including a "delivery exception". While FedEx has me a little POed, Larry Nelson is a terrific guy to deal with - I really enjoyed our telephone conversations.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:24 PM

Received the unit with two barrels, one sighted, the other railed. CCI Mini Mag HP ammunition, open sight adjusted three clicks for elevation and windage was spot on- target gun accurate. Scoped with a 2moa C-More, ten shots touching at twenty five yards, same at fifty yards. Fit, finish, machining, sights, function all very satisfying. Heinie Specialty Kimber lower used, fits well. Does not fit my Pistol Dynamics 9mm lower-the ejector is too tall. Order a fiber optic front sight, available as an option.

Very different than the original Marvel units- much better in my opinion. The steel vs. aluminum, the sights and the magazines stand out as improvements.

The best customer service comes with the purchase! Thanks, Larry!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Suitable for RANGE OFFICER!

I have answered my own question:
Quote:

Notes:
1. On rare occasions when the chamber is loaded from slide lock, failures to feed can occur. This can be remedied by the slide being drawn completely to the rear for maximum travel.
2. Some STI Single Stack factory mag catches must be replaced with a standard mag catch in order to use this conversion unit.
3. This conversion unit may not function in some Springfield Armory 1911’s due to a non-standard ejector.

The Nelson .22 fits just fine on my Range Officer as shown above. Cold windy weather with the threat of snow blocks a range test and better photographs.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 PM

One of the things I like most about Nelson Custom Guns (NCG) in particular (and many small companies generally) is the personal attention. Larry is very proactive about making first contact. I had a nice talk with him this morning and ordered a second conversion kit that he's going to setup specifically for CCI SV and Eley Tenex, the two rounds I keep the most of in my stock. I didn't have to ask for the service he volunteered it. This is a class act and I see a long and fruitful relationship between NCG and Bob Marvel.
Sig 1911 Platimun Elite 45 | Sig 1911-22 | STI 1911 Trojan 9 | Nelson Custom 1911 (2) | S&W 41/46 (4) | HS Victor (3) |Pardini SP | Benelli MP95E | Volquartsen (3) | Hammerli (4) | Clark Custom HS | Oregon Precision Marksman II | S&W 22a
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM

What makes the Nelson better than the Nighthawk conversion? I am thinking of purchasing one.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM

it's a pleasure to open the box!

Joe Michaels, in answer to your question:

Larry Nelson is a terrific guy to deal with - polite, informed, interesting, slightly self-effacing, and humorous. This retired fireman ships his .22 caliber "upper" in a nice foam-lined pistol case with a "Made in America by Americans" sticker boldly affixed. He also includes a small brochure copy of the Constitution of the United States. In short: stand-up guy, outstanding product.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I got that but was referring to the technical differences.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM

Technical Differences

None- appears to be same unit with different markings. But more options are available from Larry, including a scope rail and fiber optic front sight.

Last edited by Jim Davidson; 11-15-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Thank you, I thought maybe the internals were stronger in the Nelson or something. Customer service does mean a lot to me.