1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM

So What Happened to USFA?

Apparently, USFA has closed its doors (at least according to Turnbull). Any idea when/why this happened??
Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM

I have no idea, but I think it's unfortunate. When their website started offering only standard SAAs in .45 Colt and nothing else, I had a hunch they were on their way out. I've heard but cannot confirm that even at their height of popularity and production it was never an operation that employed more than a handful of employees, and that the company was sort of Doug Donnelly's pet hobby more than a full-scale manufacturer. It's a shame, though. A few years ago I managed to scrape enough money together for a Bisley target model, and let me tell you that is one very well-made firearm. It's still the jewel of my handgun collection with regards to fit, finish, and overall quality.

Now it looks like they're changing over to that aluminum "zip gun," a hand-held 10/22 that looks like a water pistol. I'm sure that will be a huge seller.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM

As a fan of US Firearms and someone that owned 8 different USFA Single Action's from 2005 onward I have followed things in the company closer that most.

My take is as follows:

Produced everything completely in house including the screws. The only part that US Firearms didn't make was the rubber grips. Quality yes, cost effective no. Gary Granger of US Firearms had stated that they should have never tried to make all the parts as it wasn't possible to turn a profit on that way of production.

This company was always Doug Donnely's "pet". He is the owner of US Firearms and had complete control over the company. Fortunately his passion for the SAA led to the creation of some of the best production handguns that were EVER made.

Unfortunately it seems it also led to him coming up with crockpot ideas like the "Shot Pistol", "Rainbow" colored Single Actions and countless other vapor ware projections. Where is the Remington 1875? The Woodsmen? USFA would over promise and under deliver when it came to "new" projects. How much money was wasted on all these "new" models that never hit store shelves? Now we have the "ZIP" pistol...bottom..meet rock. And by the way guess who "invented" the ZIP pistol? That would be Mr. Donnely himself. The Emperor has no clothes.

The company as we knew it is dead and gone. US FIREARMS is nothing more than a shadow of its old self. The tooling is gone, the craftsmen that built machined, perfectly time and beautifully finished sixguns have left the building and US Firearms has truly followed in Colt's previous footsteps by being their own worst enemy(poor management).

In an ironic twist for years the Colt fans would laugh and scoff at how a "USFA will never grow in value and never be as valuable as the REAL DEAL". Well it appears that USFA revolvers now sell for obscene prices on all the gun auction sites since they will never be made again. For those who invested in a USFA you now own a collectors piece of firearms history.

Fortunately USFA did cause Colt to get off their butt and start putting out some quality SAA revolvers and today Colt is making as nice a SAA as they have for many decades. So USFA legacy is not only did they bring out the arguable the best SAA clone or otherwise that has ever been made but they created a stir at Colt which has resulted in Colt producing some of the best SAA's that they have ever made.

Last edited by AJD; 05-21-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM

I was sad when I heard that USFA had closed their doors. At least, I had them build one SAA in 38 WCF for me. I planned on a couple more, but didn't think that there was any hurry......BOY, was I wrong!! The one USFA SAA that I do own, is second to none in quality, fit and finish. I just drug my feet, and can blame no one but myself.

I believe that they closed up shop at Christmas time last year.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM

USFA made some nice revolvers. Too bad.
Bob

Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 PM

for anyone interested, turnbull is selling some spare usfa parts on gunbroker, and have some half-finished color case hardened frames their selling as memorabilia
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 PM

Too bad,they made some nice guns..My bud is all upset,he loves SA revolvers.He sent me a pic of that ZIP 22..WOW..Talk about STUPID..The first thing that came to mind was "BORG"..Looks like they tried to pull off a mini P90,ended up with half a digital movie camera with a cup handle on the bottom and a barrel..
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM

They said at SHOT in Jan that they're planning to re-introduce the revolvers in two years, but I don't see either that happening or the new Zip gun succeeding.
Denis
Old 05-30-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
They said at SHOT in Jan that they're planning to re-introduce the revolvers in two years, but I don't see either that happening or the new Zip gun succeeding.
Denis
I definitely agree about the Zip - saw one at a dealer, and everybody was handling it simply because it was different. Nobody seemed overly impressed though. It's an odd design, no real purpose, cheap, and there's no 22 ammo to be found. Crash & burn.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM

Didn't one of the big name magazine writers have a "zip" blow up in his hand, leaving some tattooing ??

Bob
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 PM

You can't believe a word any of the big name magazine writers say...
Denis
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOU D View Post
Too bad,they made some nice guns..My bud is all upset,he loves SA revolvers.He sent me a pic of that ZIP 22..WOW..Talk about STUPID..The first thing that came to mind was "BORG"..Looks like they tried to pull off a mini P90,ended up with half a digital movie camera with a cup handle on the bottom and a barrel..
There seems to be a market for revolvers chambered in .410, since there are now three or four different models, and I wouldn't have believed they could sell a single one.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:11 PM

There's at least a limited novelty market with the Zipper, but I don't think there's enough of one to keep it floating, especially if they can't make the thing function.
Denis
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
There's at least a limited novelty market with the Zipper, but I don't think there's enough of one to keep it floating, especially if they can't make the thing function.
Denis
plus there's no ammo, and hi-cap ruger mags are scarce and costly
Old 05-31-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Denis

I sure do hope that information is correct. According to Tenring(one of their biggest dealers), USFA has sold everything off and trying to sell the building. Whether this is true or not, I can't say.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 PM

Would sure be great if USFA could get their act back together again. Have a Rodeo 45LC that I bought in either 2008 or 2009 and have enjoyed it tremendously. Great gun for those days when you get a John Wayne itch that just needs to be scratched with a good 45. :-)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM

Reports are that the revolver side is gone, not just in limbo. If USFA does start them up again, it'll be from scratch.
Denis
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM

I know this is the revolver forum, but the USFA pistol I always hankered for was the 1910 Commercial. I've wanted one since I saw a write up in some magazine a few years ago. Never been able to find one though, not even sure how many were made.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM

That was a very nice pistol.
Very few made, I probably should have kept the one I had, but returned it to USFA when I was done with it.

One of the relatively rare cases where USFA outsourced a major part, the frame was a Ruger Pine Tree casting.
Denis