1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 PM

1911 holster w/retention strap

I was just reading a post over on the SigForum and a poster made a comment that anyone carrying a 1911 in a holster without a retention strap was an idiot. The gist of his argument was that the strap was needed in order to block the hammer from the firing pin while holstered as an added layer of security from a negligent discharge. My question is to those 1911 fans who carry their pistols. Does your holster have the retention strap? Do you share this posters sentiment?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Does your holster have the retention strap?
No.

Quote:
Do you share this posters sentiment?
No.

Quote:
... anyone carrying a 1911 in a holster without a retention strap was an idiot. The gist of his argument was that the strap was needed in order to block the hammer from the firing pin while holstered as an added layer of security from a negligent discharge.
There are lots of actions that have to occur, and most of them need happen simultaneously for a negligent discharge with a 1911. To think it requires a thumb break to prevent an ND on a holstered 1911 seems to indicate to me a lack of understanding of how the 1911 works.

One of the most popular holster makers for 1911 guys is Milt Sparks. I don't think Sparks even offer's a holster model with thumb breaks. Tucker Gunleather, another holster maker popular with 1911 guys, also no longer offers thumb breaks.

High Noon will make holsters with thumb breaks, but specifically won't make them for 1911's.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Que...stions.html#48
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Ive had holsters with and without a thumb break strap under the hammer. Never had an issue in over 25yrs. As mentioned, several things have to happen before the gun will go off.

My current level III blackhawk serpa doesnt have the strap it has a hood. No issues in over a year.

I dont agree that Im an idiot. Some others might but not for this particular issue hahahha
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Well, maybe that poster should just stick to Sigs, sounds like 1911's are out of his range of knowledge.

IMO, if one is carrying openly, the holster should have a retention strap. But that is so that no one except the carrier can pull the weapon from the holster--has nothing to do with blocking the hammer.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Duty holster has the strap but conceal carry holster does not have one. So far to date no discharge.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM

One holster does, one holster doesn't.

It's probably against the rules to say that the Sig forum has a far, far higher percentage of idiot posts than here so, you're going to have to make up your own mind as to the validity of that particular..."opinion".
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM

I like retention straps but not because they may or may not prevent the gun from discharging. I insist on a retention strap so the gun stays in the holster if I get slammed onto the pavement suddenly. And I have and the gun stayed in the holster. On a competition holster it is not necessary but on a CCW "business" gun it can make the difference between having the gun when you need it or watching it slide across the asphalt in front of your face.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
I was just reading a post over on the SigForum and a poster made a comment that anyone carrying a 1911 in a holster without a retention strap was an idiot. The gist of his argument was that the strap was needed in order to block the hammer from the firing pin while holstered as an added layer of security from a negligent discharge. My question is to those 1911 fans who carry their pistols. Does your holster have the retention strap? Do you share this posters sentiment?

As already stated....he doesn't understand how a 1911 works.....

he's an idiot!

No, none of my holsters have a strap, and if they did, I would remove it if I liked the holster THAT much.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm sniffing around for an IWB with a retention strap. It doesn't bother me to carry in C1 w/o a strap, but I do like the idea of my weapon not falling out if I tip the boat over in the lake, hang upside down from my tractor, or get pitched off a horse. I'm clumsy I guess because all three have happened over the years.

I sometimes carry a revolver OWB w/ a strap and it doesn't take any time at all to release the strap while drawing the weapon. My only concern with the 1911 is the propensity for the strap to click the safety off when moving around holstered; it's not that big of a deal because my finger won't be on the trigger until I'm ready to shoot. But, optimally, I like it when the safety stays where I put it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a holster that keeps the safety on?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM44 View Post
I'm sniffing around for an IWB with a retention strap.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a holster that keeps the safety on?

Thanks,
Rick
Andrews MacDaniel II is one of the few IWB's I can think of that is available with a thumb break.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Ted Blocker makes one as well. I've used it for over 20 yrs and still works great.

I know High Noon makes some great holsters, but I couldn't disagree more with them on having a thumb break on a IWB/OWB 1911 holster.

Still not sure how it happened, but I had the seat belt pull the weapon out of my holster as I was getting out of the car once, (big man in a small car). Very scary and I was so thankful it fell out into the grass where we parked!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
Andrews MacDaniel II is one of the few IWB's I can think of that is available with a thumb break.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
I don't know about it being "one of the few" but, it is the ONLY one I have or have seen that will not push the safety off accidentally from time to time.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Firstly, there are numerous carry conditions for the 1911 and only 0 that would allow it to fire (cocked and unlocked). Second, what magic imp does Sig man believe to be living inside of 1911 holsters that will in say Condition 1: lower the safety, depress the grip safety and pull the trigger?

It is my opinion that a well designed holster needs no retention devices to effectively keep the pistol where it should be. From yaqui to IWB to pancake, I have yet to suffer an ND, sweep the safety off or lose my pistols.

If folks are having seatbelts and the like yank 40 oz. pistols from holsters they ought to consider better holsters or a dedicated car holster that facilitates ease of draw from a seated position. Worried about capsizing a boat? Buy a lanyard and stop the paranoia or put a Glock in the tackle box and chuckle as it floats to the surface (kidding, I know they don't float but they should).

Buy some good leather including a belt and let your mind be only troubled by the idea you're carrying a lethal weapon with all that that entails.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM

All my holsters have a retention strap. It is commonly called a belt. Without it, the holster wouldn't stay on.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerbone View Post
If folks are having seatbelts and the like yank 40 oz. pistols from holsters they ought to consider better holsters or a dedicated car holster that facilitates ease of draw from a seated position.
25yrs of CCing and believe it or not, sh!t happens, Sunshine.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Would anyone be impressed if I had been carrying 50 years in a small safe? No specific amount of time makes one man an expert. He may learn what works and where or he may learn what does not work and do nothing about it. Ignoring a problem is not a course of action. Choosing a holster that makes drawing while driving even more difficult is IMO a bad choice. If you're planning to change holsters anyway, why not have one for the specific situation. That's why they make so many different types though in the case of retention holsters I've yet to see the advantage.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the advise. That MacDaniel II is a fine looking holster. I am glad to get a report that it doesn't move the safety around. The only holster I have tried at my local store was a Tagua and the retention strap would click the safety off about half the time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Don Hume IWB with a retention strap, in a 1911 platform?

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=36

I have a Don Hume IWB w/o a retention strap for my XD. My current farm gun is a .357 revolver; the holster is an OWB Don Hume with a thumb break, but am considering going to just one gun (a 1911) for all occasions. Those are pretty good holsters and they don't beat your wallet up too much.

I like a thumb break. These days most of the coyotes I run into in real life are four legged, and the occasional egg-sucking possum or coon.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 PM

My two main carry holsters do have a thumb break. But IMHO, a well made holster will hold the gun just fine without one. And with the inherent safeties of a 1911, I'm not really worried about an accidental discharge so much as someone being able to remove the gun intentionally. The thumb break is just one more step in trying to take my gun away. Plus, I think thumb breaks look nice. Would I carry in a holster without on? Well, yeah.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM

All mine have a thumb break. I just like the added security and I don't have to train for a different draw. Grab grip, hit thumb break and draw Now would I not purchase a holster that I like because it had no thumb break? No.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Does the 1911 NEED a 'carry strap'? No. It does not.

Do certain LE organizations require the thumb break for retention? Yes

But please, don't follow that idiot regarding that the 1911 is somehow unsafe w/o a retention/cover. It was designed to carry cocked and locked. Please read some additional postings on this subject. And yes, some people should carry another platform Rather than attempt to carry a 1911.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:08 PM

I like a thumb break too. I am not too crazy about the Serpas and Bianchi carryloks; it would seem to be possible to jam them up in a hurry, or miss the unlocking lever. Thumb breaks are pretty fool proof though; if things got hurried, I would be more concerned about jabbing the thumb break through my spleen, rather than the thing not getting unsnapped.

I understand that the 1911 is inherently safer than, say a Glock, but what is the beef with having a piece of leather between the firing pin and the hammer? I agree it is not necessary, but don't see that it does any harm. Mainly, I like having the gun stay in the holster if things get acrobatical. I have seen guns fall out of holsters before.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Garitty Gun Leather (Mark) will make you an IWB with a Thumb break. He is making one for me right now .. should be in in 2 months. I ride motorcycle alot and I just wanted the added retention on the handgun.