1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 PM

who carries a "plain" old 1911 without any mods?

i dont mean a stock "tactical" or limited mods. i mean G.I. sights and the like....Military G.I. 1911s? be they full sized, commander (mid) sized or officer (compact).

this is not a who carries it some times or at the range or in the woods, i mean in town shopping for groceries with your family or at the local diner for lunch et cetera....everyday carry.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM

A friend of mine did, but that was 30+ years ago.
Shot a man with it, too, in line of duty.
Hardball at that.
DRT with no "overpenetration".

I did, too. Carry, that is, not get in a gunfight. I never felt poorly armed, but I could see the sights back then.

They don't seem to work that well any more, or at least that is what it says on the internet.

Oh, by the way, if it is a military GI, it IS full sized.

Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-31-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I've been carrying my Argentine 1927 Sistema on occasion. Why? Well, for one the trigger is actually decent, it has proven perfectly reliable, it's actually very accurate (surprised me too), and it has enough finish wear that I have no worries about scratching it. The sights aren't the best, but I'm so used to shooting a 1911 with GI-type sights that it doesn't concern me either.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 PM

I did for about 3 months then switched back to a gun with sights and a beavertail.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM

On occasion I carry my Colt Series 70 reissue. It is accurate and reliable but then the sights are bigger than GI issue which I have trouble seeing even with my bi-focals.

Getting old sucks.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM

Stock lightweight Commander (1952) every day, all day. Don't have to do anything to it to shoot well. It gets 50 rounds a week and cleaned.

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that lies." Mark Twain
Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM

Other than better sights, my "other" carry gun is a stock RIA all steel 1911 w/5 in bbl.

I had to upgrade the sights, . . . or I would have to duct tape a laser sight to the slide.

Normally, . . . I carry an ATI commander size w/beavertail, . . . it fits my back better, . . . but I shoot either one equally well (or equally bad, . . . depending on whom I am being compared to,..............).

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:45 PM

who carries a "plain" old 1911 without any mods?

Did for a while; 1SG 19Z5MHC5D8
Got a Springer GI now

Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 AM

I actually prefer the GI configuration, when it comes to full size 1911s.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:40 AM

I sometimes carry a Colt 70 series, stock or my 1944 Remington Rand. Whichever comes up I'm my rotation. Currently it's the colt.
The American people will never knowingly adopt a Police Sate, but under the name of security and Police Officer safety they will adopt every fragment of a Police State until one day America will be a Police State without ever knowing how it happened.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 AM

I don't, so maybe I shouldn't post... but I knew a guy who did. He didn't carry it, stored it in his vehicle as a specifically "anti-carjack" weapon. He told me: "Its sentimental. My Dad brought it back from #$%-&^%. The finish is F'd, and the rifling is gone, but I figure it'll work fine at three feet." A year later, we spoke about it again. The gun was gone, a man was dead, the gun had worked (at way less than 3', btw.), my friend had survived the legal feces-storm, much poorer, in the end. The weapon worked. Worked in Asia, for all I know worked at Bastogne, worked in La Ciudad De Los Angeles, would work now if the eternal bastards hadn't deliberately destroyed it.

Modifications are a way to personally perfect and custom-fit an already good design. Not ways to "fix" a bad design. Just my opinion.

Thucydides, Greek Historian
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM

My father did as did a few million others during war time. Standard issue gun. Of course it was many years ago but they were very effective and with no frills.

Once out of service, my father kept his 1911. Still do not know how the soldiers did that. I had to turn my weapons in when I got out. Yet he kept his and was not careful with it. The gun was shoved under the car seat in vehicles that did not have carpeted floors. He would toss it in the floo of his boat when fishing. It went out in the rain when he would visit a job site at night in bad weather. Nor did he do much cleaning on it, maybe once every couple of years. But he would fire it at targets like soda pop cans 2-3 times a year.

I now have the gun and it works today just like it did in the early 40's. I also have a daily carry 1911 but only the number designation is the same between the two guns. Trigger, barrel, sights, grips, mag, spring, mag well and many other things are different but it works the same.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Series 70 for me..........
Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 AM

Colt Defender with no mods and I'll occasionally carry my 1991. I will admit that has different grip panels, a different trigger and a LIGHT [as in just cleaning it up, taking out the creep, trigger job leaving the trip weight at about 5.5 lbs. It is absolutely reliable and has a better record of reliability them my [GASP] Glock 19's.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:14 AM

My usual daily carry is my STI Shadow. I do carry my Para GI. Only mod is an extended slide release. I prefer my GI. It's just not as comfortable to carry at work all day, so I usually switch to it when I get off work or on the weekends.

COFFEE Club member #5
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM

I carry my Colt Series 70 reissue, sometimes.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I've been carrying my Argentine 1927 Sistema on occasion. Why? Well, for one the trigger is actually decent, it has proven perfectly reliable, it's actually very accurate (surprised me too), and it has enough finish wear that I have no worries about scratching it. The sights aren't the best, but I'm so used to shooting a 1911 with GI-type sights that it doesn't concern me either.
I carried an Argentine M1927 for years -- I finally put a beavertail safety on it, though.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:01 PM

when i recieved a holster from a new holster maker for trails i carried my RIA GI model in it for a while to test out the rig......i normally dont carry a 1911 of any sorts because if my wife had to pick up my gun and use it to defend herself she wouldnt have a clue......

but when i did carry my GI RIA 5" i was not at all uneasy with it.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
I carried an Argentine M1927 for years -- I finally put a beavertail safety on it, though.
I simply put a WW2 Colt hammer on mine, which looks similar but is shorter.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM

When I carry a .45 it's my Argentine M1927. It's absolutly reliable & plenty accurate enough to center on a person at self-defense distances.
For the newbies, the M1927 is pretty much like a bone-stock old-school Colt. Nothin' fancy or tacticool. Just a quality basic 1911.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
I did for about 3 months then switched back to a gun with sights and a beavertail.
Yeah, I haven't carried mine because I can't hit anything smaller than a paper plate at 25 yards.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I would think if somebody wants to carry a "mil-spec" 1911 the top choices would be a Colt 1991, Remington R1 or a Springfield Mil-Spec. They look the part, yet are drop-safe and have much better sights than the old USGI pistols did. The old Sistemas are fine so long as they have been gone over with new springs, a thorough function check and maybe a trigger job. The main thing about carrying any old 1911 as a defensive piece is that you're sure it's just as dependable and safe to carry as a new firearm.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM

i carry my a full size 45, series 70. i like the feeling of the colt. i also use it for uspsa matches.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM

Well a Rock Island Armory GI Full Size is about as MilSpec you can get. My holsters are Bianchi #5 or an Aker #136. Ammo is Winchester 230 grain Ranger JHP.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Colt Commander, right out of the box, just shot and cleaned, has worked every time at the range and just feels right snugged up on my hip.

NRA Member/CCP Holder/Colt Commander .45ACP

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. - John Wayne