1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
The 8' berm law has been on the books in the last 7 counties (in 4 different states) in which I've owned property. From what I've heard from other shooters, it seems almost universal.
Makes sense as a regulation to me
Old 08-09-2012, 04:46 PM

At 900yds, most .270 hunting loads would be subsonic even if they handn't passed through untold numbers of leaves, vines, undergrowth, etc.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake11 View Post
Good story.

Isn't a .270 supersonic? Wouldn't you have been hit before you heard the crack?

Or is the distance so far that the bullet slows down enough for the sound to pass it?
No expert but I would reckon that the pine forest between the target shooter and the target (his finger) would distort the sound possibly slowing the delivery of said sound @ 1000 yards or so, and the round itself could have been slowed quite a bit
Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Before doing anything - Verify what the officer told you. He may or may not have his facts right. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you find out he had the facts wrong.
law or no law shooting into the woods is reckless and irresponsible. the cop telling the OP to build a berm is 100% good advice.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
I would ask to see the law, I bet it doesn't exist. Cops make up laws all the time.
Yeah. Cops also made the rule about being sure of your target and what is behind it too.

I'm in that camp that agrees having a backstop is a great idea. You're either SURE of your target and what lies behind it, or you are not. Safe shooters either do the right thing with regard to firearm safety or, they are not safe shooters.

I'd rather build the berm and be safe than play Perry Mason with a cop's sound advice and later learn how one of my bullets killed someone who was hiking in that swamp behind my target.

Fin

Last edited by M4finny; 08-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Rule #4: Know what is in front and behind your target.
a big +1

Custom Grips-----------------------> http://www.lonestarcustomgrips.com/
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 PM

I think the cop did you a big favor by just telling you about the law. He could have stopped you and written a ticket, or arrested you, if that is indeed the law. That would have been very expensive, right or wrong.

However, you now know that it's up to you to control your bullets, so build that backstop so it's adequate to stop anything you might want to shoot at it. And remember to maintain the backstop. Once put up, it won't last forever.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM

Thanks gents. For what it's worth there is a natural berm before the swamp and trees I was shooting into. My land slopes down into the creek and then the berm after the creek is about 5 feet high. I know exactly what's in those woods and how thick it is with trees and underbrush. There are no trails back there and only way to get through is with a chainsaw and machete. Heck back in the early nineties my dad and I zeroed our hunting scopes on our rifles into that land when it was all cut. But yes a good backstop is in order so I can shoot within the law and safety of others.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Amen to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4finny View Post
Yeah. Cops also made the rule about being sure of your target and what is behind it too.

I'm in that camp that agrees having a backstop is a great idea. You're either SURE of your target and what lies behind it, or you are not. Safe shooters either do the right thing with regard to firearm safety or, they are not safe shooters.

I'd rather build the berm and be safe than play Perry Mason with a cop's sound advice and later learn how one of my bullets killed someone who was hiking in that swamp behind my target.

Fin
I have six miles of dense hardwood forest behind me. But I will not even knock the rodents off of the bird feeder with a .22 CB short. unless I know that they will impact the hill on my property behind the bird feeder, if I miss.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 PM

look,
This entire thing was handled all wrong. All you had to do is have your gun out and act like you were putting it up and say "thank god you're here officer. A neighbor told me someone was shooting on my property and well, I dont want to go back and look for them as being a property owner I don't want an armed confrontation. Can you help me check my property?"..... LOL
In all sincerity, check the laws, the officer may be wrong, But build the berm and mark off 300 feet anyways. I would always err on the side of caution.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM

I shoot off my deck but never shoot without a back stop, other than shooting a shoot gun shooting clays or birds. My deer plot has a back drop. Years ago in my area there was a young girl killed by a deer hunter while she was waiting for the school bus. You can't just send lead down range on hope for the best.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by ROlson; 08-09-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 PM

the backstop is def something you should take care of.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
He felt sick about what had happened and gave that rifle to my father. My dad still has that Winchester.
What the he**???? I do believe that YOU earned that Winny.........

Dan
Old 08-10-2012, 06:15 AM

this always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Before doing anything - Verify what the officer told you. He may or may not have his facts right. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you find out he had the facts wrong.
Do NOT depend on an officer's "opinion"; contact your local State Attorny's office to get the proper law and its publication.
Have that in hand for when the next officer shows up.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 AM

"Rent a bobcat and build a berm"

I'd be very, very careful and do a lot of research first. The OP mentioned miles of swamp and it's likely the entire area is covered by wetlands and watershed restrictions that carry heavy penalties if you're caught digging, filling, etc.

John
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Marine2111,

Your butt is hanging so far out on the this issue it isn't even funny.

EVERY round you fire has your name on it. You have been informed by the proper authories of the requirement for a backstop on your range. If you choose not to comply because as you say there is 5 miles of swamp behind you and a round you fired hits someone that is downrange in the swamp you can kiss off everything you own for the rest of your life.

A civil lawsuit for wrongful death or paying the medical bills and support to a innocent kid for his injuries caused by your negelience will result you loosing your home, savings, cars and anything else of value.

Build a berm asap.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM

Years ago in my area there was a young girl killed by a deer hunter while she was waiting for the school bus. You can't just send lead down range on hope for the best. __________________
This happened not too long ago in my area. Hunter cleared his muzzleloader by firing in the air and the round traveled so far as to hit and kill a innocnet young girl on a road.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Backstop is not a bad idea. I have 100 acres and a natural backstop. However, I used to advertise at gun shows for my rifle and pistol club and got told all the time, " I can just shoot out my backdoor" by people. That used to make me wonder cause the safety requirement on a range back berm is 20 feet. Anyway ever got hurt by them they would be in a world of hurt in court.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM

It is a lot cheaper and easier to go to an approved firing range. I have 3500 feet of heavy woods on my farm and will shoot handguns there when on the property but not rifles. Instead, I am a member of a shooting range about 15 miles from my home and the State has a range about 22 miles away. The State furnishes a Range Master, targets and all the other things needed for free.

The expense of building backstops can cost a fortune compared to the times you would use it.

I confess that I live in an upperscale community where each house has about 1.5 acres and I will shoot in my backyard a couple times a year when shooting snakes. The law in the town says it is illegal to shoot anything, including slingshots. However, the Chief of Police is an understanding man. He told me I am wrong in only shooting snakes with one round and that I should put at least five rounds in each snake. In ten years, they never complain about my shooting or even respond to a shooting complaint at my house. They and the neighbors know if I am shooting, there is a good reason for doing so.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM

Backstops are good things. I found myself one day literally dodging rifle fire from a couple of guys sighting in their rifles by shooting at paper targets on a tall rotted tree stump. They didn't know I was downrange. The moment they stopped shooting, I started yelling.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Look up State law on this,I can't remember offhand.The 300 ft seems short but I may be confusing it with something else.When 790.033 passed last year,the state finally made pre-emption carry weight with penalties.Now,counties and cities can't enforce any of their own laws without risk of the governong body personally losing 10K out of their personal account,not the taxpayers,and they can be removed from office if need be.

Sounds like your county is pretty down to earth,as long as you are within State law and don't push the grey area of a noise ordnance,you're good.Definately build a backstop,I don't totally trust alot of trees because they can riccichet alot and you can't see if anyone is back in there.You need a little pond anyway,don't you?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20 AM

It does not matter what the law or the crazy neighbor says. You should always know where that round is going to come to rest... no exception to that rule.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseen View Post
You have been informed by the proper authories of the requirement for a backstop on your range.
Since when does a LE become the proper authority mandating or communicating property standard or other code?

He has a local government that has codes and ordinances. That's where he needs to go to find out what and if there are requirements are for something like that.

I'm not sure it's that common for local municipalities to write code around how to build a range on your property. There's way too much slippery slope in that but law or ordinance regarding where you "can" shoot is different if it's in their jurisdiction.

The Officer can only share what the law or ordinance is, or cite or arrest if a law or ordinance has been broken.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
I'm not sure it's that common for local municipalities to write code around how to build a range on your property.
I've lived all over the US. I've yet to live in a county that didn't have codes for the safe use of firearms on private property (eg. berms, distance from occupied dwellings, proximity of other residential structures, minimum allowable acreage, etc.)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
Since when does a LE become the proper authority mandating or communicating property standard or other code?

He has a local government that has codes and ordinances. That's where he needs to go to find out what and if there are requirements are for something like that.

I'm not sure it's that common for local municipalities to write code around how to build a range on your property. There's way too much slippery slope in that but law or ordinance regarding where you "can" shoot is different if it's in their jurisdiction.

The Officer can only share what the law or ordinance is, or cite or arrest if a law or ordinance has been broken.
What about just plain common sense, do we really need the government to tell us everything we should do. Common sense should tell you when shooting a gun you need to consider where the bullet will go?

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by ROlson; 08-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.