1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > 2A Legal & Political News ONLY

Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Shocked at Bill O'Reilly's ignorance

In the past I have seen some disparaging remarks about Bill O'Reilly here on the forum and disagreed with many of them, but last night Billy O shocked me. He had a Republican Congressman on as a guest (can't remember where from) and Bill tried to argue the man down saying one could buy an AK-47, what he deemed a "heavy weapon" and there would be no record of that purchase. O'Reilly also argued there are no background checks at gunshows and a person can just walk in and buy any type of weapon, even a machinegun and leave with it, with no record of it being purchased. If any of you watched the episode you must have been as shocked as I was at Bill's total ignorance of Federal laws pertaining to firearm purchases. IMHO, he went overboard in his rant against his guest, when his guest was trying to explain the facts to him.

I know it will not happen, but O'Reilly needs to rethink what he said last night and offer an apology to his viewers. If anyone else saw this, what did you think of it?

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM

I did not see it, but it is par for Bill. He talks a lot with his brain out-of-gear. Accordingly I seldom watch unless he does have someone on that I am interested in hearing. However, even then Bill doesn't listen, but prefers to talk and not let the person finish a sentence.

That is not unique to him.
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *¶Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Banned

Bill O'Reilly is an idiot... He is one of the many on there that makes Fox News a joke.

I've really had it with Fox News... Their method of projecting "their news" is to take a very loud mouth right wing "expert" and then a knowledgeable left wing "expert" and absolutely drown him out by having all 3 yell about 3 different topics, and when the left wing "expert" gives up they end the clip and go to commerical break.

Mike.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 AM

OK, went back and watched the the clip of last night's episode of the O'Reilly Factor. Bill's guest that he was arguing with was Representative, Jason Chaffetz, a Republican from the state of Utah. Rep. Chaffetz was right on with his facts about gun laws. I am going to send Mr. O'Reilly an email about this, but I doubt it will be aired. If you guys have not seen this discourse just go to Bill''s website and you can watch the clip. I think you will be as shocked and aggravated as I was.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Remember, this is the guy that supported the Katrina/New Orleans gun confiscations.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

I emailed him early yesterday about this subject...well before the show aired...he either didn't read it or didn't believe it because he "bloviated" so much "bovine excrement" about the current gun laws. His ignorance was so astonishing, even for a talking head, that I believe he must be drinking the MSNBC Kool-Aid.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005 View Post
Bill O'Reilly is an idiot... He is one of the many on there that makes Fox News a joke.

I've really had it with Fox News... Their method of projecting "their news" is to take a very loud mouth right wing "expert" and then a knowledgeable left wing "expert" and absolutely drown him out by having all 3 yell about 3 different topics, and when the left wing "expert" gives up they end the clip and go to commerical break.

Mike.
Saw similar comments from Bill a couple nights ago and was surprised Bill's fact checkers missed the boat on this. Or maybe he went completely off script, heh.
Mike summed up O'Reilly's show formula very well. It's not so much an intelligent debate as a shouting match! My guess is they think it adds drama but it gets too rich for me pretty quick.

Keep in mind, shows like O'Reilly and Hannity are not news, but editorial presented in news format.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Well, he's correct. As a non-FFL holder I can rent a table at the local gun shows and sell pistols and ARs/AKs/blak. rifles all day long with no exchange but for cash. That's not what I do, but I can certainly do it legally. I'm not sure about selling my Class 3 stuff w/o backgrounds, but I would not sell any 3 stuff anyway.

So O is correct in some circumstances. Shoot just watch the transactions in the parking lot, where the best deals are had!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASTORDW View Post
and Bill tried to argue the man down saying one could buy an AK-47, what he deemed a "heavy weapon" and there would be no record of that purchase. O'Reilly also argued there are no background checks at gunshows and a person can just walk in and buy any type of weapon, even a machinegun and leave with it, with no record of it being purchased.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEO2B View Post
Well, he's correct. As a non-FFL holder I can rent a table at the local gun shows and sell pistols and ARs/AKs/blak. rifles all day long with no exchange but for cash. That's not what I do, but I can certainly do it legally. I'm not sure about selling my Class 3 stuff w/o backgrounds, but I would not sell any 3 stuff anyway.

So O is correct in some circumstances. Shoot just watch the transactions in the parking lot, where the best deals are had!
what state? this is illegal in NC and probably "Mass" if that is truly where you live
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Illegal in Oregon as well
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400cor-bon View Post
what state? this is illegal in NC and probably "Mass" if that is truly where you live
So in nc you have to have an ffl to set up at a gunshow?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM

No FFL Needed in Texas Either

As far as gun shows, I can carry an AR/AK or anything else that I legally own into a gun show, they check the chamber and put an orange zip tie through the chamber, I can then hang a sign on the rifle/pistol with a price on it and sell it to whomever I choose.

I also have friends that will "lease" a portion of a table from someone else and buy and sell weapons from that table with no BC, and it's legal.

As far as O'Reilly goes, I like a lot of what he says, but when it comes to weapons, he's been in NY waaaay too long.

Thanks,
BD
Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM

I just watched the video myself. Bill kept interupting his guest and wouldn't let him finish a sentence...just steam-rolled him at every chance. Bill kept say that there are loop-holes in the purchasing of firearms at gun shows. What Bill doesn't know is these sales are private sales...the same as me selling an AR to a buddy of mine. Background checks are only done through an FFL dealer. Bill should have known this before jumping on this one. He didn't make us firearm collectors look good in this one.

The video can be found here: http://www.billoreilly.com/video
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM

I am completely amazed that you - just now - realized that Bill O'Reilly is ignorant...
on MANY levels.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18
Old 07-25-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400cor-bon View Post
Alabama too! However, LEO2B is correct in that firearms are bought in the parking lots of gun shows, but they are also bought through classified ads in newspapers also. Here is what should be put before Bill O'Reilly and others that have the same outlook on legal firearm and ammunition sales. Why should it matter what type of gun or how much ammuntion any right minded, law abiding, American of legal age and of no criminal record buys as long as they are adhering to the gun laws that are already in force?

I think it just boils down to the fact Mr. O did not do his homework on current firearm laws before he debated the guest.

After I posted this I called two local gunshops in my part of Alabama and they told me if someone has a table in a gunshow in Alabama they are required to do the background check on a buyer. However, as stated before in more than one way, people can walk around in the building with an unloaded gun and if someone asks them if they want to sell the gun the weapon can be sold as an individual sale with no check required. A lot of, "if ands, and buts" in this issue, but I think the bottom line is the gun purchase laws on the books are plenty stringent.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

Last edited by PASTORDW; 07-25-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in1911 View Post
I just watched the video myself. Bill kept interupting his guest and wouldn't let him finish a sentence...just steam-rolled him at every chance. Bill kept say that there are loop-holes in the purchasing of firearms at gun shows. What Bill doesn't know is these sales are private sales...the same as me selling an AR to a buddy of mine. Background checks are only done through an FFL dealer. Bill should have known this before jumping on this one. He didn't make us firearm collectors look good in this one.

The video can be found here: http://www.billoreilly.com/video
I believe with someone holding a valid FFL there can be no such thing as a private sale with inventory. Class 11 and 111 all rules always apply and any proclaimed ignorance in the eyes of BATF are not excused. In WI any private owner can sell to any (of age) person that is a resident of the State and provides a photo ID prior to purchase but there is no phone call/paperwork involved. Bill is not an expert on everything and has made much of his name through his interview (unrelented badgering) techniques. There are many "pin heads" out there, look at all the major networks where the theme is a constant drone: all guns are bad - no civilian should be allowed to own them. The exceptions are startling and criminals are at the top of the list because they are criminals and no one on the left understands this one simply point.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:53 AM

he kept saying the dude in Colorado purchased SIXTY thousand rounds and used that number as part of his argument. Wasn't it SIX thousand?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 AM

I thought i was the only one that got upset with this. BILL O'REILLY IS A PINHEAD!

Anybody else think he's a closet Liberal?

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56, DPMS Panther Bull 20 in .223, Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP, Rock Island Armory 1911FS in 9mm, M&P FS in 9mm, S&W 22A in 22LR
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM

I just emailed the following to the show...can't wait to see the response tonight.

Mr. O’Reilly,

I really like your show and I usually agree with your views but you were wrong and Rep. Chaffetz was right on the subject of gun law. You owe him and your viewers an apology for not getting your facts right before bloviating about a subject you obviously don’t understand. Put the Kool-Aid down and step away.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
I am completely amazed that you - just now - realized that Bill O'Reilly is ignorant...
on MANY levels.
Dave,

I have watched O'Reilly pretty often for the past few years and have not found him to be what I call ignorant on many issues at all. I would say he calls "a spade a spade" 95% of the time. I definitely agree he was off base on the Katrina issue. Let me clarify to everyone here that may have misunderstood my opening post. By, "ignorant" I didn't mean to infer Bill O'Reilly is stupid, but rather that he was just without proper knowledge on the subject at hand.

Mr. O'Reilly is a Harvard educated man so that means he has far more formal education than I do, but I can't play a saxophone either. However, I can tell if someone can play one good or bad. Bill hit some sour notes this time.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHES View Post
As far as gun shows, I can carry an AR/AK or anything else that I legally own into a gun show, they check the chamber and put an orange zip tie through the chamber, I can then hang a sign on the rifle/pistol with a price on it and sell it to whomever I choose.

I also have friends that will "lease" a portion of a table from someone else and buy and sell weapons from that table with no BC, and it's legal.

As far as O'Reilly goes, I like a lot of what he says, but when it comes to weapons, he's been in NY waaaay too long.

Thanks,
BD
Same thing in MN. Private sales of firearms are legal without government interference just as with other legal items and that is as it should be. I have sold and bought several firearms at gun shows that way.
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSCMike View Post
I just emailed the following to the show...can't wait to see the response tonight.

Mr. O’Reilly,

I really like your show and I usually agree with your views but you were wrong and Rep. Chaffetz was right on the subject of gun law. You owe him and your viewers an apology for not getting your facts right before bloviating about a subject you obviously don’t understand. Put the Kool-Aid down and step away.
Great response Mike. I hope Mr. O will have the dignity to post it.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
he kept saying the dude in Colorado purchased SIXTY thousand rounds and used that number as part of his argument. Wasn't it SIX thousand?
Yes, you are right. At least that is what I heard on all the news reports. Mr. O was off on that number unless we got incorrect reporting.

And besides, why would it matter how much ammo the guy ordered? He probably didn't use over 50 or 60 rounds out of the 6000. Some of the injured and killed were probably struck by over penetrating rounds or even richochets. The libs are going nuts because of the amount of ammo the man had and most of it was sitting in his apartment to never be used.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Guys, after I watched the clip of the debate another time or two I believe Bill thinks all AR-15's and AK-47-s are fully automatic weapons. Again, I think he is grossly unknowledgeable about guns, ammo and gun laws.

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
And besides, why would it matter how much ammo the guy ordered?
Because this kind of stuff gets people emotional. Thats why the news brings it up.

"He had 6000 rounds? He could shoot 6000 people!!!! We should make that illegal, no one needs that much ammo... he must be up to no good."

Thats how this reads.

Quote:
I believe Bill thinks all AR-15's and AK-47-s are fully automatic weapons. Again, I think he is grossly unknowledgeable about guns, ammo and gun laws.
Him... and the rest of the world that doesn't actually shoot guns. And its 100% emotion driven, not fact/logic. I'd be more afraid of the guy who actually shoots and went crazy with his bolt gun vs. the guy who doesn't know how to shoot and decided to use an "assualt rifle with a high capacity clip".

Mike.

Last edited by mikeg1005; 07-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.