1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 AM

Colt Custom Shop & Rollmarks

Okay, one last question about the "naked slides," and I wanted to start a new thread b/c the other one is starting to veer off course.

If I sent a "naked" slide to Colt, would they have to do any sanding or otherwise alter the slide's dimensions (scraping, chipping), or would they simply have to remove the old bluing, refinish and apply the new rollmark?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Do you mean the right side is naked or both sides? Was it naked from the factory or did someone polish off the roll marks?
Brent
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM

Brent, he's referring to the fairly recent switch to the naked right side of the slide, like this one (I'm borrowing a pic from Georgia45cal's Talo CCG):

Can the Custom Shop apply the COLT GOVERNMENT MODEL rollmark to the right side? SlamDawg was inquiring about the process you would use to apply the rollmark.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Yes we can put the roll on the right of a new gun that does not have a roll. The reason I asked is that I have received slides that "someone" has removed the roll marks and 99.9999% of the time it is not flat and the slide is scrap.
Brent
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Can a new Series 70 be special ordered with pre Series 70 rollmarks?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 AM

No, as I believe we do not have the rolls anymore.
Brent
Old 07-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Brent,

What type pf roll mark can be added to show that the gun was worked on the custom shop? Do you have any pics if there is any? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT72 View Post
Brent
As the OEM, how did Colt acquire them the first time?

The answer would seem (to me) to be fairly obvious.

Just curious.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM

We had them made. They are very expensive and would not make sense to make new ones to use once or twice a year.
We do have a roll mark of the custom shop symbol, the Sam Colt's Armsear Crest, it is just not able to be put just anywhere.
Brent
Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Brent I would love to see an example of the Armsmear rollmark application. Also is it available to anyone just by request?
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it is true now." Col. Robert J. Coates, USMC
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampnt1 View Post
Brent I would love to see an example of the Armsmear rollmark application. Also is it available to anyone just by request?
+1 I'd also like to see what it looks like. My S70 is at the CCS getting some work done and the Armsear rollmark might be a nice touch to show that it was worked on by the artists at Colt and not a less reputable 'smith.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT72 View Post
Brent
Actually the XSE rollmarks are very similar to the pre-70 markings, with the exception that the horse is placed at the very rear of the slide instead of to the immediate right of the rollmarks. A Series 70 with the XSE rollmarks would probably be of immediate interest to a lot of people.

Yeah, I know I'm not making your job any easier.

Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.

Last edited by dsk; 07-10-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:40 AM

Wiley Clapp commander rollmark with classic serration will make the come back of classic combat commander.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM

I was actually happy to see the naked right side when I went to purchase mine this year. I found it to be a welcomed change, and a nice segway between the 71B serial numbers and the 72B serial numbers.