1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 AM

ATTN: If you own a Scorpion CARRY.. Recoil Spring question

First off, can somebody enlighten me as to if the stock recoil spring on a Scorpion Carry (1911) is stock at 16 or 18 pounds? I couldn't find it in the manual or anywhere on Sig's website. I am replacing the guide rod in my Scorpion Carry with a Ed Brown 1 piece guide rod or possibly a full length 1 piece Wilson guide rod (EB is not full length, same size as what's already in the Scorpion Carry), a Wilson Shok buffer, and I can't decide whether I should replace the stock recoil spring (hammer spring as well) with a 18 pound Wolff or Wilson, or if I should just stick with the recoil spring that I already have. As far as the guide rod i'm leaning towards the EB, as I've never been a big fan of the full length guide rods.. Even though the one in my new Raptor seems to be quite legit per the couple hours of range time I've put her through so far, and it was just as easy to disassemble out of the box as the Scorpion with the shorter guide rod.

If anybody could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.. I've been debating this in my mind for the past 48 hours and I'd like to get to the bottom of it! Thanks guys...

Last edited by jcalveri; 07-06-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalveri View Post
First off, can somebody enlighten me as to if the stock recoil spring on a Scorpion Carry (1911) is stock at 16 or 18 pounds? I couldn't find it in the manual or anywhere on Sig's website. I am replacing the guide rod in my Scorpion Carry with a Ed Brown 1 piece guide rod or possibly a full length 1 piece Wilson guide rod (EB is not full length, same size as what's already in the Scorpion Carry), a Wilson Shok buffer, and I can't decide whether I should replace the stock recoil spring (hammer spring as well) with a 18 pound Wolff or Wilson, or if I should just stick with the recoil spring that I already have. As far as the guide rod i'm leaning towards the EB, as I've never been a big fan of the full length guide rods.. Even though the one in my new Raptor seems to be quite legit per the couple hours of range time I've put her through so far, and it was just as easy to disassemble out of the box as the Scorpion with the shorter guide rod.

If anybody could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated.. I've been debating this in my mind for the past 48 hours and I'd like to get to the bottom of it! Thanks guys...
According to you, you're already done these models on your XO carry. Which ps don't think they make an XO carry. So if youve already done these mods why do you need to ask for details on them? Also why do you need to change the guide rod? The factory gi guide rod is the best. Simple end of story. No need to change for anything else. Ps pretty sure the spring is 15lbs. Not 16.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM

GSR Revolution Carry XO
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM

All I am asking the community is if anybody knows what type of recoil spring comes stock with Sig Sauer 1911 Carry models .. Scorpion Rev XO Carry, etc.. It could be 18 and I just bought a better made recoil spring in my other Sig and now it runs fine.. IDK. I just want to know if anybody has a definitive answer as to what kind of recoil spring comes stock in Carry 1911's, specifically the Scorpion Carry 1911. Thanks.

I've heard from one person it was 18, and I've heard from a few others that it was 16.. Can anybody clarify?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Commander (Sig Carry guns are Commander size) recoil springs are usually rated between 18-22 pounds for a .45 pistol. It really depends on wether the gun is 4 or 4.25 inches. Yours is 4.2 inches so you would need something between 18-20 pounds.

You wouldn't use a 16# recoil spring in a commander sized gun. 16-18 pound recoil springs are for Government sized guns. Forget the shock buffer too. Don't change out the guide rod either. It is a solution looking for a problem.

Last edited by custom2; 07-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM

The standard weight for a commander is 20lbs.

Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Read this.

It will tell you everything you need to know about spring weights.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/1911/a-...wilson-combat/
Old 07-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbert0005 View Post
The standard weight for a commander is 20lbs.

Bob
But that's not standard for sigs.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Commander (Sig Carry guns are Commander size) recoil springs are usually rated between 18-22 pounds for a .45 pistol. It really depends on wether the gun is 4 or 4.25 inches. Yours is 4.2 inches so you would need something between 18-20 pounds.
Sounds like it is?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikegodtroll View Post
Sounds like it is?
That's a range thought. Is it 18 or 20 that's coming in the carry.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea what comes with them from the factory. All I know is what Commander guns are suppose to have.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 AM

Yeah I thought it should be 18... If so that's fine.. I had just heard from some that they use 16 lb recoil springs.. And I have seen that Wilson guide on guide rods it says 17"-20" for the commanders. The entire reason I had started looking into this matter was because I noticed my friends Sig 1911 carry with the stock guide rod and spring and he's put at least 2,000 rounds through it so far easily, he has no shok buffer and i heard him talking about how beat up the insides were and my other friend suggested a shok buffer. That's what got me looking into this whole thing.