1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Suggestions on simple mods for a 1911 LDA 5"

Hello,

I recently traded my LNIB Springfield XDm 9mm in the bitone competition for a Para Ordnance Stainless LDA single stack 45 cal. I don't know much about 1911's but this looked pretty cool and wanted to try a bigger caliber gun.

What are some simple mods that can be done to this gun? I would like to change the sights out to some optic fibers, atleast the front sight.

Let me know what you think and look forward to trying this gun out this weekend.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
para.jpg   photo (3).jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 PM

Teckerd: Hello and welcome.
Something that is pretty easily done is to change the grips. There are multitudes of them out there. Some fairly inexpensive and some pretty expensive. Those in themselves can really customize/personalize and even
help in a utilitarian manner. As for fiber optic sights, I would check either Dawson Precision, or Para pro shop. Dawsons even has a utube video on how to install them. The other thing, tho I have very little experience with it, is putting some kind of coating on it. Duracoat, Guncote, Cerakote, etc. Duracote is the only one I've tried and its not too bad to apply. I'd be pretty sure of how to do a detail strip of the gun before I tried coating the frame tho. I always thought that a black slide looks great on a stainless frame,( just a suggestion) Anyway, hopefully that'll give ya a couple ideas.
Good luck.
Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM

I have one similar to yours that has the Bomar style adj. rear sight and a fiber optic in the front. The fiber optics are nice! Just send the slide to Dawson Precision and have a fiber optic front sight installed and don't waste anymore money trying to make that good looking pistol look better.

best
jr

BTW, welcome to the forums!