1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM

I'm so envious of you older guys. There was a group of dad's and kids that tried to get a rifle team going with a local high-school and when the student's presented the written proposal signed by their dad's to the Principle, they were required to meet with the school resource officer to discuss the 'inappropriateness' of such a 'dangerous activity'.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM

I bet there's more football injuries than rifle team injuries.

But that doesn't matter where the object is to convince people guns are conniving evil devices.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Yup, now that you mention it, I'd forgotten, prior to going out West on a mule deer hunt in the early 90s, I had taken a Hunters Safety class and it was given at a local High School. Western hunting rules were different than my State, being old, I was "grandfathered in" but not good enough (great idea) for a license out West. No Hunters Safety taught at this cities' schools now, before or after school: "OMG" guns, what if one was left behind is the mentality - hogwash. Want to spend tax dollars on something useful, teach gun safety
and make one semester in grade school mandatory!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 AM

I believe this is still a GREAT idea. A few years back i hosted a childrens firearms safety course at our local community center. Ages ranging 8-17. Basic firearms safety, how to break down, load, clear, safely handle and maintain firearms. No live shooting however due to legal and safety reasons.

In the 6 years since. As far as the town LE department states, Not one of them have been in a firearms related crime, or AD. Worked out beautifully until the brady bunch got word and caused enough of a ruckus that the city shut it down. :/
Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinShooter View Post
I got mine at Vansant Elementary way back when also. Being that you're from SWVA, I would bet that you know Vansant. If you're from that area, do you remember the old Grundy Army/Navy surplus? When I was a kid, you could go in there and buy a brick of .22, a tin of black powder, some cannon wick and fondle knives/firearms without a question.
PM sent, we got some talkin' to do!