1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10d View Post
I have experience with 2 kimbers(basic 45acp and Tac pro 9mm) and they are both accurate and reliable.I don't like to spend more than 1200 for a 1911 myself when a basic model will shoot as well as the high priced ones.I spent 1350 on DW RZ-10 because 10's are hard to find and I wanted one without a swartz and I think it looks good.If it was me I'd get a SS Raptor,they look pretty kool.It will be plenty accurate I'd imagine.
Just got a look at the grand raptor,think I'd spring for that one now,wow looks very kool.Adjustable NS's and two tone.Only 50 bucks more.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Couple of things. First, stop with the "the custom shop is or isn't a custom shop" nonsense, as it does not matter what we think. Kimber calls them Custom Shop, and it's their business, not ours.

Second, to the OP, my advice on purchasing a hand gun it to pick the one that speaks to you, fits your hand, and has the features you want. Too many people go off and buy what other people suggest, and often it doesn't meet their needs.

That's the other thing about hand guns, especially 1911s, if there is something about what you do get that doesn't quite do it for you, change it or have it changed so that it does.

Just my 2¢ YMMV

Robert
Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
"They are both nice pistols but is there a particular reason why you want one of these over a Custom II Target? "

I don't mind answering that. And thanks for all of the answers so far. I do want a gun that shoots great and is a pleasure to own.........

....... I cant spend $3000 on a handgun, so I am trying to get the most for my money on a gun that still looks beautiful, but is also a pleasure to shoot, and is accurate. I love the accuracy of my Kimber.....................

..... I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
Though not immediately in your consideration, may I suggest the Kimber Gold Match II in either blue or stainless. They are indeed beautiful, accurate, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

They have bonafide " stainless steel barrels " that are machined oversized and fitted by hand in the Kimber................Custom Shop........... per Kimber's brochure.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM

Well, I went to look at the Super Match 2 in a local gunshop here and just couldn't say no. Its hard to buy a gun that you can't put in your hand first, and I can't think of any gun that I would rather have for the money. He came off hundreds of dollars off MSRP on this gun and for $1600, it won my heart. I couldn't leave it in the display case. It was calling my name (and licked my hand). Don't most of us buy these things that way anyway? She is a beautiful gun. Can't wait to get her to the range. Pics to follow.....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhunter44 View Post
Well, I went to look at the Super Match 2 in a local gunshop here and just couldn't say no. Its hard to buy a gun that you can't put in your hand first, and I can't think of any gun that I would rather have for the money. He came off hundreds of dollars off MSRP on this gun and for $1600, it won my heart. I couldn't leave it in the display case. It was calling my name (and licked my hand). Don't most of us buy these things that way anyway? She is a beautiful gun. Can't wait to get her to the range. Pics to follow.....
We look forward to the results of your range trip.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin53 View Post
How did I miss this one. I agree the super match II will shoot the same as an $800 target II in my hands I have seen my super match shoot a group the size of a baseball at 25yds in better hands. I purchased mine because kimber guarantee a 1" group at 25yds. Now I have a pistol that is better than I am so I can learn to shoot better. Also it is for the range only for now. But it's the buyers choice unless someone wants to buy ME a pistol as a gift I will like it. But for now for me the purchaser you keep the others I will stick with kimber. Different pistols for different folks.

Kevin
did not know kimber guarantees a 1" group. Guess I managed to get my foot wedged in my mouth again
Old 06-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Well, I ended up buying the Super Match 2 and love it.

Here are some pics......

AND HERE IT IS WITH HIS LITTLE BROTHER...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM

Very nice, I was looking at that gun as well. Ended up going with the Stainless II, then added the kimber stainless mainspring housing with magwell, I love it.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM

They're a couple of real beauties, John, and the choice on your addition to your "carry" piece is very nice! I wish you many hours of fun shooting both. I'm sure you know it but beware, this "1911 thing" can be very addictive.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM

Seeing your pic I had to get mine and compare, yours is nicer looking than mine your grips have great looking wood grain. You did good I will give your money back if you ever think you didn't. Go shoot a bunch and enjoy.

Kevin
#1 As of thurs. may 17th 2012 at 1:32 pm central time my first 1911 kimber super match II
#2 Kimber super carry pro
#3 Kimber classic stainless
#4 Kimber ???
Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Op: I want a Kimber model x,x.

Response: you should get a Glock.

Op: I want either a Kimber Super or Team match.

Response: you should get a xxxx.

Last edited by thearmedrebel; 07-28-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: cleaned up, question answered in PM
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Raptor! I wanted one forever and when I found it it, it screamed at me to buy it. Shoots great. Have only 300 rounds through it right now with no problems. Full size. Blued.