1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Kimpro TacMag issue

I recently bought one of these for use in my SA 1911 range officer.

It's tough to seat the mag when fully loaded (8 rounds), & it's impossible to rack the slide (slide will NOT budge) once it's in. However, when I load 7 into the mag it runs flawlessly. If the slide is locked open, 8 rounds are no problem. I'm interested in knowing why the extra round is being a PITA ... Or, are Kimber mags just not fully compatible with Springfield?

What's the deal?

TIA.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM
1911 Aficionado

Is it a flush-fit tube with the basepad screwed on, or does it have a removeable - slide on/slide off - basepad with an internal retainer plate?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 PM

Is the spring just to stiff? I would use it as a 7 rounder at the range for a bit so "soften" it up and see if it improves...if not get rid of it or put a new kit in it. I the same mag and mine works flawlessly....
COTEP MEMBER #554
“True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,
but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” -A. Ashe
Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Because it is an 8 round mag in a tube designed to hold 7 rounds. The way they get the extra round in the tube is with some spring and follower magic. KimPro TacMags are generally well made, and produced by CheckMate. It is tough seating those 8 round mags though.

Load and unload the mag several times (OK, many, many times) and the spring will begin to take a set. It will become easier to seat as time goes on. Chances are good, though, it will never seat as easily as a 7 round mag (what the pistol was designed to use) or a magazine with an extended length tube, such as the Wilson ETM or Tripp mags.

This, by the way, is a fairly common thread on the forum. Usually about a once a month occurrence. "Difficulty in seating 8 round mags", or "My new mag won't seat", etc.

I've found this blog post from the late Mr. Camp to contain valuable information.

http://hipowers-handguns.blogspot.co...11-45-acp.html
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the quick answers!

I guess I'll just run it with seven for awhile to see if the spring loosens up a bit.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Load it with 8 rounds and let it set for several days.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus54 View Post
Thanks for the quick answers!

I guess I'll just run it with seven for awhile to see if the spring loosens up a bit.
But you didn't address mine . . .
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM

RickB,

Would the base plate make a difference?

I have a CheckMate 8 rounder with the removable base plate. It is tough to seat. It is the same length as a CheckMate welded base mag. Neither of which are as long as a McCormick PowerMag or Wilson 47D.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 PM

I have many of the 7-round Kim Pro magazines and they do not cause the same issue. I would run that mag as a 7 rounder and see if things improve. I think the compression necessary for the extra round to fit in a flush fitting tube is the part of the problem.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
RickB,

Would the base plate make a difference?

I have a CheckMate 8 rounder with the removable base plate. It is tough to seat. It is the same length as a CheckMate welded base mag. Neither of which are as long as a McCormick PowerMag or Wilson 47D.
A couple of buddies had problems with getting the last round in mags with screwed-on basepads. The screws appeared to be preventing the springs from fully compressing, and removing then reinstalling the pads - with the mags assembeled - fixed the problem.
I have owned/used a lot of 8-round .45 mags, of different brands, and while it can be difficult to seat them when fully loaded, it has never caused any functional issues as described by the OP. I suspected it might be something other than stiff springs.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
RickB Worte,
The screws appeared to be preventing the springs from fully compressing, and removing then reinstalling the pads - with the mags assembeled - fixed the problem.
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't run into that before. I do like CheckMate products and expect I'll have some more models in the future. I'll keep that in mind if I have that problem.

My removable base pad CheckMate 8 rounder is still the most difficult to seat of any of my mags even after a year of use.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
1911 Aficionado

If you are going to use a mag that extends beyond the frame, get the extended-tube "competition" mags. They are little to no longer than most of the other 8-rounders on the market - even those with tubes that are flush with the frame - and the additional room within the tube makes loading the mag, and loading the gun, much easier. I still like a flush mag for carry in a gun holstered on the belt, but the extended-tube mags are really nice.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM

I bought the 7 rounder KimPro Tac-Mag for my RIA CS a few weeks back. Had the same issues, it was stiff as hell and was very difficult to get the 7th shell in. I ended up leaving it full for a couple weeks, and on the two times I took it to the range, it worked fine with 6 rounds in it. I took it out and loaded/shot all 7 at the range this weekend, no problems through multiple cycles.
My guess is they are just tight and require a little break in period.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
A couple of buddies had problems with getting the last round in mags with screwed-on basepads. The screws appeared to be preventing the springs from fully compressing, and removing then reinstalling the pads - with the mags assembeled - fixed the problem.
I have owned/used a lot of 8-round .45 mags, of different brands, and while it can be difficult to seat them when fully loaded, it has never caused any functional issues as described by the OP. I suspected it might be something other than stiff springs.
I can't see the screws causing a problem with the Tac Pro's because they are flush on the basepad - short.

Stercus Accidit
Proud member of ***DTSG club
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
But you didn't address mine . . .
Sorry. Flush fit w/ base pad screwed on.