1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Weapons hidden around house or all one location?

Are your weapons hidden all around the house or stored in the safe in one part of the house?
Neighbor, not sure why, told me his plan if he came home and found his doors open/broken into entering the house upon walking in the home. He comes through the garage door and hides a pistol right around the entrance from the garage door. Just thought it would be a smart idea but I am sure many carry to have one on them 99% of the time anyways.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM

I run a small fabrication shop out of my house part time and the shop is fortified from the inside that one one sees from outside, but I have them all over. I'm pretty sure that I can reach a weapon every 4 feet with in my shop and thru most areas of my house.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Here is a similar thread.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=372247

When I am not home my guns are locked in the safe. However, when I am home, I have access to a handgun and a long gun, but the rest stay locked in the safe.

Last edited by Mr. T; 06-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I carry my 9mm all times even when in the house. But I do keep other weapons around for easy access. Not necessarily for myself, but incase i have guests over and SHTF. I like to keep shotgun bedside, and my 9mm once I get in bed. Keep a Ka-Bar under the couch cushion downstairs, and a shotgun under couch as well. Like to have a firearm on every floor at very least.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old 06-26-2012, 11:44 AM

Most weapons are to be hidden in a safe or responsable location.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 PM

My house is steel framed and 100% concrete with solid steel doors on ball bearing hinges. In each room, including bathrooms, I had a biometric safe professionally installed in the wall hidden by artwork. Inside each safe is a S&W .45acp nightguard revolver and a desicant can. Each month, I take and bake each dessicant can until the beeds are blue and they go back in for another month.

That said, in the house I am always armed, most of the time with an extremely lightweight FN 5-7 and 21 rounds of ammo.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Have one Colt in the bedroom---all of the other guns are in the safes in the garage.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 PM

Glock 23 upstairs in a GunVault by my bed, Walther PPQ 9mm in a GunVault downstairs next to the couch. Ruger LCP in my pocket from the time I get home from work until I go to bed.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:47 AM

Didn't put much thought into it too much until a few days ago. I realized that when I'm home I almost always have my M&P by side, if not there its by my bed side, and had my rifle locked up near the bed (in the basement so only one way in and out), and my 1911 in the living room....so I am kind of spread out. but my living room I prefer being armed in since its in clear shot of the front door, and if an intruder came in front or back they would be able to cut me off from my guns. I keep them secured when not really in the house but there is someone awake and home 21 to 23 hours a day.

I just never want to be caught cut off.....where my gun could have saved me, but I can't get to it.

worst case scenario I have the ol 1911 compact with 7 rounds in it.....shouldn't need more than that and if I do for some ridiculous reason......I can use those 7 shots to at least fall back to my rifle and m&p
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAkaB View Post
Are your weapons hidden all around the house or stored in the safe in one part of the house?
I see no upside to answering this.

Quote:
Neighbor, not sure why, told me his plan if he came home and found his doors open/broken into entering the house upon walking in the home.
I can think of a reason. Did he seem interested in your plans and where your guns were?

Maybe I'm paranoid. Am I paranoid enough?

Thucydides, Greek Historian
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Two small kids in the house, one with Autism, so there's no way I can have any weapon hidden around. Guns are either in my personal control or locked up.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 AM

I keep my 1911 on me when I'm awake. I have a mossberg 500 cut down to 18.5 that stays by the bed locked n loaded with 3in 00. It's mostly for the wife since I work nights. Other than that they stay locked up.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Weapons hidden around the house

Quote:
his plan if he came home and found his doors open/broken into entering the house upon walking in the home
If I came home to find my door was broken into or open....I would not go into the house. First, I would call local LE, and explain my house has been "broken into" and I think there is someone still inside. This will usually create a high priority for fast assistance. If something has been stolen or your house is ransacked with noticeable damages, you have the police available for a police report for insurance purposes.

I can't think of anything worse than going into a house armed and alone, only to be ambushed by a burglar, that may have found a hidden shotgun or handgun. Most all of my guns are locked securely in a safe. However, I do keep a gun in my nightstand, so if someone gains entry into my home, I would have to believe they may have found my gun, are armed, and dangerous. I would rather have local LE with ballistic Kevlar vests, working in pairs to conduct a house clearing, rather than conduct my own house clearing alone. If there is an armed burglar in the house, it may be better and safer for the homeowner to let the cops handle it.....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM

My HD gun is in a FAS1 Safe in my bedroom. I always pocket carry around the house and sometimes have my EDC gun on me as well. If I am coming home I am always armed. My shotgun is loaded and ready in my RSC if needed. I don't believe in stashing guns even though my kids are grown and gone. I never have to worry about putting my guns up with visitors. I have had friends and family show up unannounced with their kids just stopping by. Not to mention I wouldn't want one of the ladies from the cleaning service to find it and be uncomfortable. If that happens they probably will quit cleaning under and behind things as well as they do
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
...Neighbor, not sure why, told me his plan if he came home and found his doors open/broken into entering the house upon walking in the home...
Some people just talk too much. No one should know your plan. Even if it is this bad.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-O9iyggVQ&feature=plcp

Pics: * RIA Tactical * Kimber PCII Stainless *
Old 08-26-2012, 09:04 PM

I used to keep a .380 by the front door in a little 3 drawer night stand and a GP-100 .357 in the my wife's night stand. I would carry my 1911 and put it in my night stand at night. Then my daughter was born. Now all guns are secured unless carried. So now I carry around the house. If I decide to doff my carry gun I either unload it and run a cable lock through the action or lock it in the safe.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:51 AM

i have no children around anymore, so i have several stashed around in strategic locations throughout the house. i also have my 1911 either on me or within reach.