1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM

New e series

Hi I just picked up my new e series about a week ago the 108482 I believe just the standard non railed 5 inch stainless model. I went to the range yesterday noticed all my shots were left. Like really left about 4 inch from point of aim. I had a couple more people shoot it and same result, left. I then checked the sights and found the rear was off. Now my question is should I contact s&w about it? Or take it back to the gun store, will they fix it or charge me since it's only a week old? Any info would help. Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM

The gun store should be able to fix it in about 5 minutes.
Watch how they do it and you should be able to handle it thereafter.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 06-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Yes, not a big deal to fix.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM

you don't know how to fix your own sights ?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
you don't know how to fix your own sights ?
No tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 PM

All it takes is a hex wrench and a non-marring (Delrin) punch and hammer. You'll want to bring the tools to a range so you can adjust the sights until they are where you want them. The shop will probably just center them and you'll have to make a return trip if they are still off.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 AM

Sorry to bother but this is my first 1911. All my other guns are wheel guns I have some other questions about wear in the slide Attachment 83524 I looked at my brass and they are all very scratched is that suppose to happen?

Edit: figured out the other problem
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340861141.147361.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	83528
Old 06-28-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
All it takes is a hex wrench and a non-marring (Delrin) punch and hammer.
I think that you'll find that on many pistols, trying to drift the rear sight using a punch and hammer is an exercise in futility. That's why they make special tools for that particular job. I wish it worked the way you make it sound. Had to send my Smith M745 to a warranty service center to have the rear sight loosened and that 'smith had a hell of a time. After he got it out, he did some stoning on the Novak sight so that it fit the dovetail snugly enough that it had to be tapped with a punch to move it. It would not move with finger pressure. Once the part fits as I described, the set screw will keep it from moving. My experience with this is not unique, I'm sure.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 06-28-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 AM

I think that one will find that the 1911SC rear sight is positioned as if welded in place.
On mine a hammer and punch would not budge it.
Sometimes a sight pusher is worth the investment...

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
I think that you'll find that on many pistols, trying to drift the rear sight using a punch and hammer is an exercise in futility. That's why they make special tools for that particular job. I wish it worked the way you make it sound. Had to send my Smith M745 to a warranty service center to have the rear sight loosened and that 'smith had a hell of a time. After he got it out, he did some stoning on the Novak sight so that it fit the dovetail snugly enough that it had to be tapped with a punch to move it. It would not move with finger pressure. Once the part fits as I described, the set screw will keep it from moving. My experience with this is not unique, I'm sure.

Bruce
I'm not familiar with the 745 but does it have a set screw on the rear sight?

My experiences are based on changing my own rear sight on my E-series and 9mm Pro Series for 10-8's. Once I loosened the set screw, the sights came out fairly easily (more so on the E-Series since there are no Series 80 parts under the sights to worry about). I own a few different sight pushers and they are indeed invaluable for this kind of work, but just relaying my experiences on OP's particular gun. And, as usual, YMMV.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the 745 but does it have a set screw on the rear sight?
Absolutely. I believe that all Novak fixed rear sights do. The M745 was the single action semi-target version of the M645 and the first Smith autoloader to use his sights. The gunsmith told me that when the rear sight finally moved, it let out an audible crack. Like I said, the sight is supposed to be snug enough that it can't be moved by finger pressure but not so tight that it wouldn't move at all but this is often not the case. I do not know what the machining of the dovetail relative to the Novak style rear sight has to do with the lack of '80's series parts. Also, if the drifting of the rear sight was a simple punch and hammer task, there would be no need for the sight pushing tool you would think.

Bruce

Last edited by BruceM; 06-28-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I think that one will find that the 1911SC rear sight is positioned as if welded in place.
On mine a hammer and punch would not budge it.
Sometimes a sight pusher is worth the investment...
^^^^This^^^^ I ran into the same situation when I changed the rear on my sc. Even with a sight pusher I still had to use some force.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Absolutely. I believe that all Novak fixed rear sights do. The M745 was the single action semi-target version of the M645 and the first Smith autoloader to use his sights. The gunsmith told me that when the rear sight finally moved, it let out an audible crack. Like I said, the sight is supposed to be snug enough that it can't be moved by finger pressure but not so tight that it wouldn't move at all but this is often not the case. I do not know what the machining of the dovetail relative to the Novak style rear sight has to do with the lack of '80's series parts. Also, if the drifting of the rear sight was a simple punch and hammer task, there would be no need for the sight pushing tool you would think.

Bruce
You're right - the addition of '80's series parts has nothing to do with machining the dovetail. I think my mind was thinking more of changing sights rather than just drifting them slightly to adjust windage.

Maybe I got lucky with my E-Series pistols, but the sights have all moved easily with punch and hammer when I loosened the set screw.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Yeah I'm sending mine in to look at some weird wear marks. Decided to upgrade to night sights so I'll have them put itr on.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Frozen rear sights on a couple of Smith autos is what led me to design a sight pusher. When they let go, there is usually a loud poping noise.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM

I posted a pic up top not sure if you can see it well but there's wear from I guess brass when it cycles. Is that normal? Are the spent cases suppose to have scratch marks all around it? I'll try to take some pictures of it when I get the chance
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Like its been said above, try the gun store and they should be able to take care of it pretty quick.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:02 PM

A few wacks with a plastic mallet, after the set screw was loosened of course, set my sights right in a blink. They didn't move easy. Shooting way left also they were.