1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM

1911 sickness

I just picked up a Springfield TRP recently and I am perfectly content with it.

In fact, as the title suggests, I enjoy it so much that I'd like to go ahead and pick up another 1911. I'll continue to train extensively with my polymer pistols, which I prefer to carry (9mm Walther PPQ, Glock 26, M&P 9 Shield). I like to keep caliber consistent for my carry pistol, and all of the aforementioned pistols have similar controls (aside from the M&P, which has a thumb safety that I elect not to utilize).

That being said - nothing beats the sheer shooting pleasure of a 1911 at the range.

To the point: I'm looking at picking up an Ed Brown Kobra or Special Forces model (full-size). I am fortunate that there is a local shop that has several to choose from and they are being sold at MSRP. To make the purchase practical, I'm going to have to trade something in.

I'm not asking anyone to make the decision for me, but I would like the perspective of Ed Brown owners. Would it be worth it to part with my Sig P229R (.40) in order to land an Ed Brown.

Thanks in advance. My apologies for the long-winded post.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Absolutely..

Anything under the top level X5/X6 Sig's are worth trading in for a Brown, IMO.
-Alchemy Custom Target-
Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 PM

I would also do it in a heartbeat. I'm guessing most of us here in the Ed Brown forum would agree.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRookie View Post
Absolutely..

Anything under the top level X5/X6 Sig's are worth trading in for a Brown, IMO.
That's my thinking as well, especially with all I'm hearing regarding Sig's QC taking a bit of a nosedive recently. Whether that is nothing but internet speculation and regurgitation, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
I would also do it in a heartbeat. I'm guessing most of us here in the Ed Brown forum would agree.
Oh I knew it would be a biased audience but I figured that if this particular audience had the sense and wisdom to choose a quality pistol like an Ed Brown, then there would be good advice to be had here.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

I enjoy it so much that I'd like to go ahead and pick up another 1911. I'll continue to train extensively with my polymer pistols, which I prefer to carry (9mm Walther PPQ, Glock 26, M&P 9 Shield).

That being said - nothing beats the sheer shooting pleasure of a 1911 at the range.

To the point: I'm looking at picking up an Ed Brown Kobra or Special Forces model (full-size).

To make the purchase practical, I'm going to have to trade something in.

I would like the perspective of Ed Brown owners. Would it be worth it to part with my Sig P229R (.40) in order to land an Ed Brown.

Thanks in advance. My apologies for the long-winded post.
Go for it! I have been carrying my Sig P225 and HK USP for years (still have them) and just recently started buying 1911s. Now I've got a Sig1911 and a Kobra Carry. I am very pleased with the Ed Brown and will likely carry it once I've worked through a few more rounds through it. At this point, I will be adding more 1911s to my collection and am looking at either a special forces or a kobra 5". I do love the scale treatment. I am just debating whether to go for the chainlink this time since I already have the kobra carry. That said, the quality of the fit and finish of my kobra is well worth what I paid for it. The pistol performs superbly and is definitely far more accurate than I am. Since my resources are not limitless, I have decided to focus on adding sub-custom 1911s for now before turning back to adding the production 1911s I am interested in. So I would limit my focus to ed brown, Wilson and Baer for now.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 PM

Well, I wouldn't be too excited about MSRP, but I do like my EB.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 AM

I can't say anything bad about Sigs. I have three P220's and my wife has a P229. I also have a P238. We have had one each FTF in a P220 and the P229 when new. Since no problems. They aren't junk, and cost $900 to $1000 each. Rugged and reliable. Just not in the same game as an Ed Brown or Wilson.
I would say give the P229 to your wife and buy yourself a Brown. If I had to trade something to fund something new, I'd part with the Glock or M&P before the Sig.
1968, 69, 70
Old 06-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Sig for an Ed Brown

Wouldn't let the sun set before the deal was made.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
I agree. I've sold several to fund my Ed Brown habit.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 AM

I agree with the trade. I traded my Sig P220 SSE (less than 500 rounds) for a USED Kobra Carry a few months ago.
Now I am waiting to see what the DW ECO (9 mm) is all about. Going to trade my Sig P226 EE on a compact 1911 9mm (like the SA EMP, ECO, STI, or something similar).
Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 AM

Both really nice pieces. In my mind the 229 is easier to replace but If it were me I would knock off something else on your list over the 229 (for clarity I have a Kobra and 229 a d they are two of my favorite and most accurate and reliable shooters). I am always more apt to get rid of something even slightly unreliable in trade for a new piece. So if the 229 is reliAble for you I would personally hold onto it and look for the cash/trade elsewhere. And the Kobra is my favorite 1911.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I'll continue to train extensively with my polymer pistols, which I prefer to carry (9mm Walther PPQ, Glock 26, M&P 9 Shield). I like to keep caliber consistent for my carry pistol, and all of the aforementioned pistols have similar controls (aside from the M&P, which has a thumb safety that I elect not to utilize).
Personally, I would pick one carry gun and trade off the other two instead of the P229. I have a P228 that I bought new in 1995, and though it almost never makes its way out of my safe, it is currently on my list of "sacred cows".

I have only been on the 1911 bandwagon for a couple of years, and I am finding that, other than the P238 that I am currently carrying, my other handguns are collecting dust and getting less sacred.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:38 AM

Sig is a good gun. Not in the same league as a Brown.

When the wife wanted a 380 because that is what her lady friends carried I said ok, she said it would take up less space than the Kimber Ultra CDP she was carrying.

Then she said she wanted the Ruger LCP. Told her no. Said that what my friends carry. So I said no and had her shoot a LCP and a P238. She chose the P238 as I knew she would. Its a great gun, and has been very reliable.

However it is no where near as nice as my Browns. Not near as much fun to handle, look at or shoot as my browns.

Get the Brown!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Love my Sig P220 in 45. So I traded 2 Kimbers for my Kobra. But, if I had to do it all over again, I would keep them all.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
I can't say anything bad about Sigs. I have three P220's and my wife has a P229. I also have a P238. We have had one each FTF in a P220 and the P229 when new. Since no problems. They aren't junk, and cost $900 to $1000 each. Rugged and reliable. Just not in the same game as an Ed Brown or Wilson.
I would say give the P229 to your wife and buy yourself a Brown. If I had to trade something to fund something new, I'd part with the Glock or M&P before the Sig.
Jim, one of these days you need to treat us to your collection.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:38 AM

I sold off my 3 Sig 229 Elites, out of the 3, I only miss the 2-tone 9mm Elite as it was a tad lighter than the all stainless ones and I have an affinity for the 2-tones. In fact, I sold all the Sigs except my german p228 it has a permanent home with me. If you already have the snake treatment and like it, I'd say to give the chainlink a try also. I have a tough time deciding on a preferrence between the two. Chainlink has an excellent purchase and easy on the hands for extended range usage. This is just my opinion, yours may vary, but I really like them both and glad that I picked them up. The Sigs may be missed in the short run, but over the long haul I'd say an easy sacrifice..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlake View Post
Jim, one of these days you need to treat us to your collection.
Southlake,

I don't have pictures of everything, I should take some. The wife's P-238 with laser is on the blue pouch.
But I did have an Eagle Scout over a few weeks ago who wanted to see some different stuff. He is enrolling in a gunsmithing class at school. So I brought out some different rounds (middle of the table) and revolvers and pistols to go with them. He took this picture and emailed it to me. It's about a third of one safe.

Also one of my rarest .45 acp's that he thought was a toy.

Apologies to ybbiz34 for my hijack pictures. I think my sickness runs deeper then 1911's.

Jim

1968, 69, 70
Old 06-23-2012, 12:14 PM

I've grown up a Sig guy since my dad was in the military and an air marshal in the 80's. I held onto my P229, but that's the only one. That being said, the Brown is worth it. My Special Forces is my favorite pistol.
I will do all I can to never trade away or sell the ones I really like, which is all of them That being said - my Glock would be first to go, followed by the Sig, before I touched either my Brown or Nighthawk.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Jim,

All I can say is WOW! Then I read it's only a third of one case, Big WOW! You are my hero.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Apologies to ybbiz34 for my hijack pictures. I think my sickness runs deeper then 1911's.
Always nice to look at guns. And you are not alone in your sickness. I just purchased a SAO Sig 220 Compact and took some grief for posting that it might be an alternative for those not wanting to carry a 1911.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 PM

A Sig for an Ed Brown. In a heartbeat. I have to say you will have to regurgitate some more coin as you will not get what you paid for on the Sig. And with that the Ed Brown is an upper level 1911. In line with the Wilsons, Les Baer, ect.
On the last note, I once had a Sig P226. But that was a 9mm Either I didnt like it or it didnt like me. I changed to Hoag Grips, Melpro sites. Nothing changed. Perhaps the longer trigger pull. I guess I'm just spoiled with the crisp triggers of 1911's. I sold the 226and got a S&W 629 and never looked back.

'John Adams'

An Anti-Gun Liberal is a Conservative That Has Not Been Mugged Yet
Old 06-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Wow... Nice Liberator. I bet that was hard to come by. I didn't think I would ever see one of those on here.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM

Ya even have the manual that was air dropped with it. Those are even harder to come by. Very impressive collection!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:45 PM

SIGs are great pistols. I have SIG P229 (in near mint condition) that I was going to sell at Cabella's. They offered me $250.00. They told me SIG P229s do not have high resale value, because there are alot of police turn-ins, on the market. I thanked them for the offer and did not sell my $750.00 pistol to them. My advice keep the SIG and save up for the Ed Brown.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:55 PM

MMMmmmm....revolvers! Awesome grouping Jim, thanks for posting them