1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1911 View Post
Why do you assume it has anything to do with who has more money and what someone can afford? I could have easily bought a much higher priced gun, but choose both of my RIA's because I liked them better. Just sayin.....

Sorry, couldn't resist stirring the pot a bit. I personally think it's funny how this thread turned out.
I made no such assumption. The OP made a comment regarding a $2000 pistol. Ergo my response.

I got no beef with RIA's. They are the best $400 1911 out there. I own one. My point is that you will NOT see anyone in an LB, EB, WC or NH forum hating on $400 RIA's. It does not happen.

But these high dollar hater threads turn up weekly....for whatever reason. Always with the same assumptions......comical. Truly.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:51 PM

Well, after reading this I am having an identity crisis. On one hand my first 1911(other than military) was a RIA FS-TAC. However, since I am a gun freak I have since bought several Kimbers, a Dan Wesson Heritage, a few glocks, a high power, a colt or two and a few revolvers All from varied manufacturers. Some better than others.

But reading this I don't know who I am; am I the savvy buyer who purchased a 400.00 gem(Ria) or am I the stupid gun owner who paid to much for the overpriced piece of junk(kimber)?

Please internet, please help me justify my purchases, please......
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Amen ar1911!! My thoughts EXACTLY!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post
am I the savvy buyer who purchased a 400.00 gem(Ria) or am I the stupid gun owner who paid to much for the overpriced piece of junk(kimber)?

YES

JUST GOOFIN....

Charlie is simply tickled pink with his purchase .
Give the dude a break and allow him some braggin' fun that he out shot two other Cowboys with more expensive pistols

..L.T.A.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post

Charlie is simply tickled pink with his purchase .
Give the dude a break and allow him some braggin' fun that he out shot two other Cowboys with more expensive pistols

..L.T.A.
Thank you for getting it Cappi. Someone is proud of their gun and suddenly he is a hater because he was happy to see it outperformed more expensive guns. It always feels good when you purchase something at a lower price and then have it outperform a similar something of significantly higher value, be it gun, vehicle, boat, tv, whatever......... I personally didn't see anyone bashing on Kimbers, or Colts, or anything else, rather just comparing performance trends from our experience.

Why wouldn't you take at least a little pleasure in that? We're not talking about laughing in some guys face and telling him his Kimber is crap, we're just taking pleasure in the value of our purchase.

Oh well, it is what it is. We're gun owners, I think that means we are opinionated by nature, right?

Last edited by ar1911; 06-22-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 PM

Go Sig 1911!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM

Well said Gentlemen!! And this was not intended to slam anyone with a higher priced gun because I have one too! Just amazed how this gun shoots right out of the box! Best $400.00 I ever spent!! And to think I was going to buy a Baby Desert Eagle instead and I'm glad I didn't! I have much respect for ALL gun owners! No matter what their shooting! The main thing is WE ARE SHOOTING!!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM

I do get it, after all I own one as well. However, its not the gun that is at fault with the other two shooters, its the shooter that is the problem. I see it at matches all the time. A guy smokes a stage and instead of asking how the person shot so well the first question is what gun are they using. 9 times out of 10 its not the gun, its the person handling it. I would expect the guys with the other guns just done know how to handle them. I for one know that while my rock is a great and fantastic gun for the price it can not hold up to what my Kimberly Custom II or my Dan Wesson can do for me at either the range or a match.

Again, I get it and I love hearing about people being happy with their new purchase but the "My rock out performed insert expensive gun name here" threads set the tone for some of the responses we have here.

I still own my rock and even though I have had numerous occasions to trade it away I choose not to because it fills a place in my collection and it serves a purpose. BUT it is NOT on par with my other high end guns.

I am glad that you like it and that you had a good time with it. It will serve you well.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:49 PM

Theres a quick fix for pistols that won't run, regardless of brand or cost... It's called gunbroiker... works everytime... JMO.. Ron
Old 06-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
While the RIAs could indeed be reliable as any highend 1911s, some of us who buy 1911s a little bit more expensive than RIAs are looking for more than FUNCTION.

Refinement comes to mind. I want my 1911s to look refined, have a nice fit and function....... to be a pleasure to look at.

My 2 Kimbers are indeed refined in fit and function and reliable. But I will not start a thread denigrating anyone who does not want Kimbers, nor would I start a thread trashing RIAs simply because they are cheap.
You just did..in a beautifully refined way!

I own 3 Kimbers, 1 Springfield Trophy Match and 2 Les Baers. I concur with your statements. The only one that I have a problem with is my Springfield. It will ONLY shoot 230g Hardball. My LB's will shoot anything down the barrel and zero misfeeds or FTE's. As you said..there is nothing sweeter than to hold and fire a finely crafted pistol with beautiful grips. I think I'm going to the garage and get my 1911 just to hold it and be close to it!

By the way...I do own a GMC Sierra...AND it has leather and Bose and a ton of power features that I don't even use..but I drive a lot every day..and I want something I can sincerely enjoy and appreciate...so I stepped up and bought the thing. Snob??? Nope! I just appreciate a better product. If I have to pay a bit more to get it...I'll save up until I have the cash to do it.

Some guys are happy with Chevettes...I'l just not one of them. In reference to guns..they all go bang..well..most of them do..and that's good enough for me! I just want a prettier one!

Disclaimer: By the way...in no way am I or the meaning of this post being prejudicial to less expensive guns. It just sounds that way!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 PM

I'll never bash anyone for choosing to spend as little or as much as they want. Shoot, I make my living selling firearms and the margins are pretty close no matter what brand I sell. I do kind of swell with pride a little when a customer asks me what I carry during a conversation. Especially the look on their face considering all that we have access to at the shop.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:47 AM

Every time I see one of these threads, I have to wonder why folks can't shoot what they like and be happy without having to bash someone else's choice in firearms? I shoot and love my Kimber, but I also love my Glock. I don't feel the need to come here and defend my choice of gun by insulting someone else's choice. Every hobby I enjoy, I see this. If your gun works for you and you like it, then go out and shoot it and don't give a thought to what someone else is shooting.

...and by the way, if I were in your shoes I would show the spirit of true sportsmanship and try to help them assess what might be the problem with their guns, not feel superior to them for spending more money than you did.
-A man without force is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; but even this it cannot due for long if signs of power do not arise

Last edited by Illusive Man; 06-23-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusive Man View Post
Every time I see one of these threads, I have to wonder why folks can't shoot what they like and be happy without having to bash someone else's choice in firearms?.

cause it's human nature, maybe ?
Most tend to think their choice is the best ..for XYZ reasons
Be it guns , cars/trucks, fishing poles... et al.
Not "all", but a substantial portion of the Glock only guys throw darts at the M&P and XD guys and generally consider the 1911 only guys as antique relics .

And tell the truth, what God fearing 1911 guy doesn't smile inside little when an arrogant Glock "fanboy's" gen4 G19 chokes on the range

The Ford, Chevy, Dodge truck guys like to pound their chests too
(BTW, we're all smart enough to know Ford trucks are the best, right?)

Honestly, i didn't see where Charlie "bashed" any brands .
He just made an observation and comment is all.
What "I" got from it was, and will repeat, he's pleased as he be that his "cheap" 1911 shoots as well or better than pistols two to three time$ as much

on a side note.... from my observations , insecurity can run both ways on these type threads .
The new guy can only afford $450 to get in the 1911 game and feels the need to justify his pistol is as good as any.
On the flip side, the higher priced pistol owner feels compelled to jump in and justify what makes his shootin' iron worth two/three/five times as much

BTW, I'm not suggesting or implying that applies to anyone on this thread...only that that shoe fits many folks

The sharp cowboys that shoot plenty and have owned lots of different brands and platforms tend to be more "matter of fact" about it .
and most of them are happy for Charlie and feel bad for the dude with the jam-o-matic Kimber .
and I'm sure Charlie isn't "happy" another shooter has a malfunctioning pistol .

he's just sharing his joy and used his range neighbor's misfortune that particular day to illustrate such ...and if he chooses to gloat a little...
hoo kares

..L.T.A.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappi View Post

The Ford, Chevy, Dodge truck guys like to pound their chests too
(BTW, we're all smart enough to know Ford trucks are the best, right?)

..L.T.A.
Haha, I like you more and more with every post Cappi. Them Chevy and Dodge guys are all backwards and don't know what a REAL truck is.

Well, now I guess I probably did it. Time for all the Chevy and Dodge owners to flame me for expressing my opinion........
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM

It is always the Indian, not the arrow.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Some like drinking Boones Farm. Some prefer JW Blue Label.
Either will make you tall, handsome, and think you're clever.
Both will make you full of BS.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 06-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM

It is always a cost vs quality argument, My RIA Tactical is equally as accurate as my Springfield Range officer and my Para GI Expert and works as well if not better
than both of them .A 1911 platform gun with reliable parts in it will work well regardless of cost. That being said some of us like a more custom look and that can cost a lot more money . I just like to be a very good shot!
45's take the risk out of being close!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1911 View Post
Haha, I like you more and more with every post Cappi. Them Chevy and Dodge guys are all backwards and don't know what a REAL truck is.

Well, now I guess I probably did it. Time for all the Chevy and Dodge owners to flame me for expressing my opinion........
Well..you are right about one thing...and wrong about another!! GMC/Chevy are superior in fit and finish...ride softer and smoother (unless you like peeing blood when you get to your destination), and have better resale!

You are right about getting Chevy GM guys riled up. We may bes even backward a bit! But wes likes it dat way! We knows our trucks!

OH!!! I forgot!! Don't forget about the 6.o L Diesel that is a POS and anyone that knows diesels is aware of... and the 5.4 Triton that fails 7 out of ten times when they first came out. I here that they are now making engines that run. That's always good news!!

I still love ya guys!! Really...I do!! Sometimes subtle correction is needed to set ya all straight!

PS...Should this be moved to a different forum??
Old 06-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
Some like drinking Boones Farm. Some prefer JW Blue Label.
Either will make you tall, handsome, and think you're clever.
Both will make you full of BS.
Now although VERY true...that's some funny stuff!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 PM

I love threads like this. They are just like the ones where the neophyte shotgunner shows up at the trap club with his stock Saiga 12, and proceeds to whup all the experienced shooters that are shooting their high-dollar Perazzi's and Kreighoff's.

ROTFLMFAO!!

Show up a match, pay your entry fee, and post the results. Better yet, post up the YouTube video. I'll wait for the ensuing hilarity.

No need to be hatin' on high dollar or low dollar guns. Shoot what you have and have fun doing it. And remember, Rock Island is Rock Hard!

Justice Hugo Black
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM

I never meant to cause a battle of $ paid for your 1911!! Heck I even traded the gentlemen the extra Mag's I had so there guns would cycle and they continued to shoot as I left the range last night. I made 2 friends at the range last night, not enemies. I was just stating their frustration last night and after we all came together and figured out what the issue was, Magazines-then we ALL continued to shoot together. And yes their guns were beautiful and I stated that to them! This post is not a slam to any other shooter or manufacturer!! Just talking about a range experience from yesterday.

And I'm a Ford Man, F-350 Crew Cab 7.3ltr. Diesel all day long!!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 PM

And Thank You Cappi for having my back here! I would not wish any gun malfunction on anyone! We all work hard for our money and if we can share our experiences and knowledge to help someone else despite the cost of their gun, I will always try and help if I can!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Well Charlee , some guys are gonna get there pantys twisted no matter how delicate you type . Lol , I got what you were saying and own several " HIGH DOLLAR " guns and found nothing you said offensive . As Cappi said its human nature. I even chuckle a little when I drag my Rock out to the range and it gets attention . I still say its "My biggest bang for MY buck " . pun intended. Enjoy it man .
Old 06-23-2012, 10:44 PM

Shootin X's.. If you didn't already order some sight paint, email me and I will send you the bottle. I have painted sights on 8 of my guns and there's still enough to do 50 more guns. E-mail: [email protected]

Went to the range today and she performed like a Champ all day, no failures. And I fed her a box of Federal Premium FMJ and 5 different type's of hollow points through 3 different manuf. magazines. It will not Fail!! And was killing it with my groupings! Good Day!!
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliee530 View Post
And Thank You Cappi for having my back here!
ain't no thing Charlie, i just "call em as i see em"

Nothing against Chevy trucks, they build fine truck
and Dodge builds pretty trucks
but deep down, we all know Fords are best

uh oh, i hear a Toyota Tundra guy getting ready to put it in gear

Gentlemen , start your engines

..L.T.A.