1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM

Llama 9mm Cracked Frame

Father in law has a 9mm Llama that he bought new a while back and the frame cracked after his first shots through the gun. I'm guessing less than 10 and the frame cracks.

He still has it and I thought, hey, Llama should repair it under warranty. However, after a little research I learned that Llama bit the dust in 2005 or so. Looks like they were bought and then eventually caved. Does anyone assume responsibility for their defective guns or are defective Llama owners on their own?

I'm sure we'll have some clever posters making jokes about Llamas the animals and also what a bunch of POSs the guns are. That's cool.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM

I would never make a joke about this sir! I am offended! Who would jest about something so sublime? Instead a feel nothing but jubilant, rapturous conentment. Really, it's true! How many people get to hear about an already inoperable firearm rendering itself even more inoperable?

Seriously though, all joking aside I think your Father-In-Law might be SOL. If he wants something in a 9mm, and in a 1911 platform you could tell him that RIA makes an affordable, quality 9mm 1911. It can be had in a GI-ish model or a Tactical format. The tactical having all the bells and whistles. Way more options for grips and parts than a Llama, outstanding CS, and they can be found between 4-500 bucks.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Go to Numrich gun parts and see if they have any. By-the-way. I have a Llama 45 and it shoots great. Every manufacturer has bad ones. Just ask Kimber owners...

Former Marine Marksmanship Instructor/Member of USMC Rifle and Pistol Team

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74698259@N06/
Old 05-31-2012, 11:23 PM

I've been shooting a Llama Max-I C/F .45 since 1997. Nothing has broken, and I have no complaints. I also own 4 other brands of 1911's, so I'm not just a noob with a Llama. But, I seriously doubt that your FIL's gun is repairable, or worth the cost or trouble to repair if it could be repaired.

There is a wide choice of reasonably priced 9mm's on the market if he wishes to replace the Llama.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 AM

Thank you all for your input. Yeah, no offense to Llama owners but I probably wouldn't buy one. Not from the time period my FIL bought his at least.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM

I've been a Llama collector for years. I have never heard of a single instance of frame cracking until this.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
I've been a Llama collector for years. I have never heard of a single instance of frame cracking until this.
I have never heard of frame cracking either I bought my first Llama in 1969. It was a great pistol Last llama in 2003 It was junk.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebache View Post
Father in law has a 9mm Llama that he bought new a while back and the frame cracked after his first shots through the gun. I'm guessing less than 10 and the frame cracks.
1) Did he really buy it new, or did he buy it from someone who said that it was new?
2) Were you there when the frame cracked to see the event?
3) Do you have/could you post photos of the crack?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Got a Llama as my first pistol in 1964 from Herters in 1964 for $27. It was reliable but not very accurate, even though I got Micro sights for it. Before that it shot 3 feet low at 25 yards. Had too much barrel wobble. It fed everything though without any FF's. or FE's. I think you are probably SOL. I agree with Glenn -SC. Guessing seller knew something. One thought: was he shooting 9mm +P? that might do it, if it was an older Llama.