1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Sorry to hear that. I sent my two off to S&W and the third to the warranty center in Texas.
I received a letter in the mail from S&W that they had both pistols and the standard turn around time was two weeks. I had called the day before and was told on the phone the same thing.
I just got the third S&W (full size SS) off yesterday and was told once it was received it would only be there 2-3 days.
All had a list of issues. Some I was very surprised even left the factory. My full size SS for example, the feed ramp was so rough I could see the grooves in the ramp the bullet was getting stuck on.
I'm looking forward to seeing the pistols back. I have seven (7) M&Ps and never had a single issue.
I guess their 1911s are still a work in progress. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_World View Post
i might have to send my back to sw. =(
Old 06-09-2012, 02:54 PM

All these posts have me nervous about the one I picked up, has anybody taken a look at if the problems are within a specific serial # range? Forgive the question if its already been asked, mine is in the between 1000 and 1100.

BA
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM

The serial number on mine is in the 4300 range. I am sending mine out tomorrow to the warranty center in Texas. Sent them a email and the reply was " we will get your 1911 running 100% and have it back to in two weeks."
Now that is what I want to hear.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
I have 7 M&P pistol and no issues. (bought several under their Military Program, great program)
I have an M&P 9mm and that sob has been 100% reliable from round one till 2500 or so later.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grease Monkey View Post
I'm in the same boat... I sent back a 1911SC with cosmetic and thumb safety issues. If it doesn't get fixed to my satisfaction gonna trade it in and get a SIG/DW/Kimber. I do love the feel of this 1911 in my hand and it is a beauty, but for $1100 I do expect a little better QC. Now the waiting begins... (gun was recieved on Thursday)
Have you got any news on your bobtails yet, mine went to springfield and they sent it to Maine. I called them in Maine left a message on a Guy's voicemail named Meryl, he never called back. Sounds like they are probably to busy with everyone else's. If I knew they had these issues I would have just bought the guardian at the shop and skipped all the headaches. I have never bought a gun new and had to ship it back for issues, especially one north of a grand.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped4rce View Post
Have you got any news on your bobtails yet, mine went to springfield and they sent it to Maine. I called them in Maine left a message on a Guy's voicemail named Meryl, he never called back. Sounds like they are probably to busy with everyone else's. If I knew they had these issues I would have just bought the guardian at the shop and skipped all the headaches. I have never bought a gun new and had to ship it back for issues, especially one north of a grand.
Your better off that they sent your gun to Maine. It might actually get fixed.
What problems did you have?
Old 06-12-2012, 04:31 PM

hogrider05"
The slide was badly machined. I am a picky sob but even my wife said she would send it back. The guns costs north of 1100 so yea I sent it back the serrations were not smoothed but jagged. It looked bad.
**update**
Talked to them today should get it back next week, said they were replacing the slide. He assured me that everything will be fitted right when I get it and added that they would run a couple of mags thru it to make sure. I hope so.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM

Got my Bobtail back today! They replaced the slide and the new slide's scale serrations look great and aside from a few tiny tool marks on the inside of the slide channels where the slide goes back and forth its fine. I am happy with it. Thursday I will be going to the range to test it out and give back a function report, hopefully it will be tip top.
Last edited by Ripped4rce; Today at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Hey Grease Monkey their customer service was great! The e series gives you alot of features for the money I will definitely keep mine. I have owned many different guns and 1911s Kimber, colt, Sig(p220) and DW. Will have to say they DW is the best built I have owned however fit and finish on my Kimber is great! My next one will be a Custom or semi custom job, thinking of fusion or Ed brown.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM

My 1911 sc e broke after just 8 rounds threw it. Not what I expected foam my $1150. The gun shop sent it back to s&w for me. Five weeks later it came back with new slide stop and rear sight. So far I've been happy. Still a few Fail to load and schels bounce off my forehead. Shoots dead on. Only 350 rounds threw it so I am still breaking it in. The gun itself is beatufal. Pissed off at first. Happy now.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorworks View Post
My 1911 sc e broke after just 8 rounds threw it. Not what I expected foam my $1150. The gun shop sent it back to s&w for me. Five weeks later it came back with new slide stop and rear sight. So far I've been happy. Still a few Fail to load and schels bounce off my forehead. Shoots dead on. Only 350 rounds threw it so I am still breaking it in. The gun itself is beatufal. Pissed off at first. Happy now.
Sounds like it needs to go back to S&W again. Brass should not be hitting you in the head. I don't think shooting more is going to fix that problem. I don't think more rounds is going to help your failure to fully chamber either (unless you shoot enough to polish bolt face and extractor). At 350 rounds it should be chambering factory 230gr RN without problems.

As noted earlier in this thread I had both problems. S&W fixed the brass hitting head problem however they didn't get the failure to fully chamber fixed after two tries! As noted earlier I got it fixed by local gunsmith.

Just my opinion.

John
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Well folks, got my 1911SC back. Turnaround was 3 weeks. They fixed the thumb safety and the cosmetic issues. She's a keeper! Just need to get some range time.

Hey Ripped4rce, my next 1911 is gonna be a DW or Sig. I already own a Kimber Tactical Ultra and a R1. 1911s sure are addictive...
Old 06-22-2012, 09:09 PM

I took her to the range Thursday and she is tack driver. I was able to get 2 inch groups at 15 yards without a rest, standing. Great Grip on this baby thanks to front strap and mainspring house checkering. My friend was drooling over her.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak100 View Post
I have an M&P 9mm and that sob has been 100% reliable from round one till 2500 or so later.
Same for my M&P Compact 9mm, perfect function since new. I have a Shield on order and did want to get an "E" but now I am not sure on the E's.
sparx