1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Where do you find your USGI 1911's?

Yeah, okay, I'm looking for someone to share some insider information.

I'm educating-up for a Graduation present for my boy and have a year to make an educated purchase. I've started to read and study on my own but can anyone tell me a good (honest) company that may sell legitimate USGI 1911's other than the auction sites? I've Googled and I haven't found much other sites other than the auction sites. My local gunshows don't have much to offer.

Simpsons LTD has a few on occasion, and what I like about Simpsons is they seem to have a fair on-line reputation, in addition they have a great Luger section. I'm looking for a company that offers the same kind of thing, but with 1911's.

Thanks,
Robb
Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Simpson's usually has huge prices, though. You just have to look, look and look some more to find them. That is how I found all of mine.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Robb, I think the best place to find USGI M1911's is at gun shows - particularly those that are antique arms shows. Good luck. Rick
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM

I have also found that they always turn up when you have no money.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:24 PM

A perfect example of my above statement popped up today. There are two awesome USGI's listed on another forum. I would love to have them, but I recently bought a couple others and have not rebuilt my hobby fund enough yet.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Administrator

There is no shop that specifically deals in them because they're so few and far between these days. Collector's Firearms, Joe Salter, Cabelas, and of course Simpson Ltd all have them on occasion, but they are all notoriously overpriced and most of the ones I usually see have serious things wrong with them (pitting, mismatched slides, etc.). Besides that their listings just sit there for months on end, just waiting for some sucker to eventually come along. Some of the guns on Collector's for example have been on their website for well over a year, maybe two. You'd think that if they didn't sell folks would lower their prices to true market value, but apparently they're all too stubborn.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 PM

There was a poot load of them at NGD in Louisville a couple weeks ago. Many were affordable and correct. I would estimate that there were at least 25 correct and nice M1911 and A1's at the show for good prices. For example, there was a 700900 ish Transition in about 85% condition for $3495. I do not know if the barrel was correct but a tough find.

There was one seller with 5 1911A1's. Two RR type 3 in the $1400 range, correct, 95% ish, Colt A1 just out of numbered slide range with correct barrel, $1600. Ithaca lend lease was $1995 asking and nice condition. Regular Ithaca, about $1500. All sold long before the show was over confirming they were deals.

There were several 1917 vintage guns at good prices.

There was a nice M1914 from 1942, about 95%, for less than $2K.

You just gotta get out there and look in the right places and know what you are looking at.

The economy is bad. That can help a buyer.

Last edited by vette; 06-17-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM

Does Scott Gahimer still locate USGIs for folks?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Yes, www.m1911info.com.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM

I got lucky, my local gun store took one in on consignment and i was one of the first to see it and i had Christmas bonus in my pocket.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Okay, pretty much as I expected. I'll check on Collector's Firearm, I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep studying and looking. Part of my issue is there's so much to know that's it's almost impossible not to be taken advantage of. But I'm learning.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb1 View Post
Okay, pretty much as I expected. I'll check on Collector's Firearm, I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep studying and looking. Part of my issue is there's so much to know that's it's almost impossible not to be taken advantage of. But I'm learning.

Thanks
Be careful. Some gun stores, like the one you mentioned, advertise as original and correct, when in fact the items are not.

I would go with Scott G or check this page out http://www.pre98.com/. This web gun dealer usually has decent prices on RRs and is trustworthy.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

They sometimes turn up in pawnshops.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM

I just sold two real strong examples..... a 1917 Colt M1911 and a 1943 Ithaca M1911A1 'Double Stamp' on another Fourm board that allows WTS/WTB ads on F/As..... both were 97-98% examples and were both listed for less than 24 hours.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcanuck View Post
I just sold two real strong examples..... a 1917 Colt M1911 and a 1943 Ithaca M1911A1 'Double Stamp' on another Fourm board that allows WTS/WTB ads on F/As..... both were 97-98% examples and were both listed for less than 24 hours.
Those are the ones I was referring to.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:01 AM

Where are the ones for around a grand ?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM

Thanks for this link: (http://www.pre98.com) I've never heard of these guys.
I need to keep watching and be ready to pounce.

So... can someone tell a bonehead (me) what website OldCanuck sold his pieces on. I'll keep an eye on that site too.

Thanks again, I appreciate the assistance.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM

that's a fact
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIB View Post
I have also found that they always turn up when you have no money.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

There are few people / companies I recommend doing any sort of business with these days.

As a collector / investor of many things including firearms; I highly recommended using Scott for a 1911 purchase.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM

What is the other forum that is being mentioned?

I am looking for a 1911 to replace one I was dumb enough to sell twenty five years ago. Nothing special, I own other GI 1911s but this was one I wish I had held on to. A 1919 Colt AA rebuild.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Just a quick look on pre98.com seems to show that their prices are up there as well, but at least what they're listing is decent and not a bunch of piece-togethers like the ones on Collector's and Simpsons appear to be.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM

I found my first RR at a gunshow. Guy had a briefcase of several 1911 and I could only afford the RR. Then a year later got a reblued 1913 Colt off of him. Took 6 months to find the correct slide and barrel.
Also go to auctions if some are listed. And just simply ask guys at gunshows if there is anything in the bag they are carrying. Picked up a 1918 that way for silly cheap money.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
Does Scott Gahimer still locate USGIs for folks?
NO he doesn't. Dont let him fool you into buying a membership on his site like I was. He told me he could find me an arsenal rebuild in the 850-1100 range last year and I never heard a word from him. I wasted my money on his site. All he does is list pistols for sale every so often, he doesn't actually actively look for a pistol for you. YMMV

Last edited by EagleArmsHBAR; 06-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Its only $30 per year to join. Seems like he is one of the few reputable guys out there. Might have to pay a little extra, but at least you know you are getting a good gun! You are bashing a guy that didnt find you a $800 shooter. Really?? You could find one anywhere. I think he specializes in hard to find all origional mint guns. You should think twice before bashing a good guy on a public forum.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Administrator

He tries to find what you are looking for. He goes to lots of shows and rubs shoulders with lots of buyers and sellers, but unless you're after something incredibly easy to find I don't think he can guarantee finding exactly what you want within a given time frame.