1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Best prices on BCM AR-15?

Hey guys. As my graduation present my mom said she would get me a rifle in the range of 800$ (I can't chip in for some reason), and I'm looking at my options. A BCM seems just a little out of my range, but if any of you know where there are some good prices I might be able to get one. thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM

How about using her $800 for the BCM upper (including BCM full auto bolt carrier group) and then use your own money for a blemished BCM lower from G&R Tactical for $285 (without stock)?

I don't think $800 will get you a full BCM rifle new with upgrades. You might be able to price out a standard BCM rifle for that much or just a bit over that. I've only seen BCM rifles for sale from G&R, Midwest Industries, and full BCM themselves.

Last edited by NeoGeo630; 06-17-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:20 PM

I'd have to agree with what neo said. My bcm upper alone cost 900. Better off building your own and getting mom to buy an upper.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Go to G&R Tactical now and order a blemished lower. It may have a mark or two, but they're small and usually not very noticeable. Save a bit of money there. Then, order a 16" mid length standard upper (cold hammer forged is nice but not necessary - saves $100), add a bolt carrier and rear sight and you're good to go for now.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=LWR-C

The upper will be about $600 complete. A little over your $800, but not much. Well worth every penny...
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~

Last edited by jonconsiglio; 06-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM

I'm only allowed to spend my money on ammo and a mag or two, so I cant split it up like that. Should I cut a corner and get a PSA lower?
Old 06-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles1911 View Post
I'm only allowed to spend my money on ammo and a mag or two, so I cant split it up like that. Should I cut a corner and get a PSA lower?
you r not cutting any corners getting a PSA lower, their lowers are great.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:12 PM

You could do that. Or, another way around it would be to have her get the BCM upper and lower without the bolt carrier. Then, you add the bolt carrier group and rear sight with your money...
"Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street."
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM

yeah but it wouldn't be a complete BCM rifle, so I dont know if that decreases value much

I'm not allowed to contribute to the rifle at all, It's part of the deal. I've got to save up my money.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Are BCM blemished lowers cheaper at GR rather than BCM themselves? You can order directly form BCM. The reason I ask is that if you order from BCM you know they have it when it is shown, with GR they will indicate that they have something when they really don't have it. And you only learn after you order, I learned that the hard way
Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM

I don't know. I just saw on m4c they were in stock there so I posted it! You know how I feel about that one though!

Sorry I didn't call you back. I'll call you around lunch tomorrow?
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles1911 View Post
yeah but it wouldn't be a complete BCM rifle, so I dont know if that decreases value much

I'm not allowed to contribute to the rifle at all, It's part of the deal. I've got to save up my money.
It does not affect value. It would be just as complete as if you ordered the full rifle, less the complete rifle tax (I forget the name of that tax).
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Federal Excise Tax (F.E.T.)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM

okay cool. Another thing, does it make it any more difficult to get warranty work done if it's two different companies?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM

I doubt you are going to have any issues with BCM AR15 products. But if you did, I hear they have excellent customer service.

jon,
Just look to RIA subforum and you will see the plight of buying cheap crap verses the above mentioned product. I will give you details when we talk.

Last edited by Lordofbarbeque; 06-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:57 PM

You will have no issues with warranty no matter if you bought a complete rifle or upper/lower halves. I think BCM sells more upper halves than anything else they manufacture.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM

oh okay cool. does palmetto have good customer service too? I've heard good things about palmetto but I dont remember hearing about their CS.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM

PSA has great CS
you can buy a lower and upper from PSA and put them together
for your $800 budget
Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 AM

I was looking really hard into PSA a while ago because I could get the rifle, and some sort of optic too. I'm just exploring other options too. I was also lookin at Armalite, but I've heard alot of negatives from them...
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

If you can wait for July 4th, I would. No idea what kinda of sales PSA is running but they tend to sync with holidays, and I would think you could grab a $49 lower from them then. Not a pedigree brand, but a good foundation for an inexpensive, quality lower. Redirect that money saved towards something that will actually net you a return on your dollars, like upgraded buffer system (Vltor A5), 0x optic, BAD ASS selector, or sling.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

There's no reason to buy an Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, Olympic or even S&W (though they do make some quality rifles) when you can buy Colt, BCM, Centurion, or similar for the same pricing.

Palmetto, I'm on the fence about. As someone on m4carbine put it, you can't get the quality components they use for that cheap of a price without some sacrifice. The sacrifice comes in the assembly line. Whether you'll see it or not is another matter. And, if there is an issue, it's something easily fixed on your own or they'll take care of it. They're growing fast and pumping out rifles. They use FN blanks (at least they did), but do not confuse this with FN barrels. They have the blanks machined to their specs. So do other companies, I'm just pointing out that they're not "the same quality as an FN" as some say, due to the barrel.

I wouldn't have any problem using a PSA lower, but I'm still not sold on their uppers. Not saying they're low quality, just saying I personally can't take the chance when I can get a great upper from BCM. Having said that, if I was on a particular budget and just getting into ARs, I may very well buy the PSA, especially that deal they had for $1,000 that included an Aimpoint PRO, which is a $400+ optic.
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-18-2012, 10:10 AM

yeah thats why I'm likin palmetto. They have alot of good deals and sales. They had a nice lookin railed upper with a vortex strikefire up a while ago and it looked like a really good deal to me. So now I have to decide between a BCM with palmetto lower, Spikes, or Palmetto.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM

I'd go BCM with Palmetto stripped lower all day. I think Centurion rails are an option now with BCM uppers? Definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you have the money.

I got a PSA upper to try it out and because it was supposedly a limited run of 12" barrels straight from FN (not just their blanks) but who knows! As Jon said, their guns haven't been punished enough to surmise a go/no-go ruling. Their shipping/CS is also pretty slow due to how fast they're growing.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 AM

That 12" upper is slick.
~Paul Howe~
Old 06-18-2012, 11:13 AM

okay I'm thinking the half BCM and half Palmetto is a good option. I like the rails, but do I have to spend a lot to get a good one? Theres some on Amazon.com for like 50$ is there much of a difference?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM

Do NOT buy a cheap hand guard. Stick with the plastic one or a Magpul MOE for now. Then, when you feel the need, upgrade to quality like Centurion, Daniel Defense (I run RIS II's), the new Geissele, the VTAC or TRX, Knight's Armament (but those require a proprietary wrench well over $100 - for the wrench - I sold all three of my KAC URX II's), or the new Noveske. Stay far away from UTG.

Honestly, I'd stick to the MOE for now.
~Paul Howe~