1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Legal & Political News

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM

FLORIDA: Another derp with a CCW

Video link below

Note: I work at a high school about 5 minutes from where the arrest occurred.

Contrary to what this article argues, there was no reasonable attempt made to conceal his firearm. It's obvious that it's an OWB holster being carried on baggy pants with no belt. Not to mention that it's pretty difficult to conceal much with a wifebeater.

I imagine they'll attempt to use the SB234 argument (protection for CCWers who "accidentally" expose their concealed weapon) but I can't imagine how anyone would think the gun was concealed in the first place.

http://www.allnineyards.com/2012/06/...rried-handgun/
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Dale Norman has a valid Florida Concealed Carry License but was arrested on February 19th, 2012 by the Fort Pierce, FL Police Dept. while otherwise lawfully carrying a handgun because it accidentally became exposed.
I am not sure how that is considered an accidental exposure.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM

Profiling at work here?
tc
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchostler View Post
Profiling at work here?
tc
I'm a teacher. School's out for summer :>

Volunteering time at my LGS cleaning and reloading
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Profiling at work here?
tc
I don't think so. It sounds like the guy was breaking the law. Concealed means concealed, not half hanging out under a tight tank top.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM

He's blind if he thinks that was accidental, or hanged up on anything.

Then.......I noticed this is nothing but something from some dudes blog. At least it's not the media, but still, bringing it out, embellishing and getting it enough attention that it's being posted in internet forums.....great, just what we need. At least he's becoming a 3 minute celebrity "writer".
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Dude looked like Gary Cooper in "High Noon" sans baggy shorts, boots and stupid look.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
He's blind if he thinks that was accidental, or hanged up on anything.

Then.......I noticed this is nothing but something from some dudes blog. At least it's not the media, but still, bringing it out, embellishing and getting it enough attention that it's being posted in internet forums.....great, just what we need. At least he's becoming a 3 minute celebrity "writer".
I was trying to find the video and came across the blog. The 'writer', I agree, is a bit off the deep end thinking that this guy was in any way attempting to conceal his weapon. Also, it's worthy of noting that he only received his carry permit a few days prior.

Now, that being said, Ft. Pierce, FL (particularly the north part) has a fair amount of gang activity and gun violence, especially as of late. The responding LEOs deserve cookies for how they handled it. After talking with a few SLC deputies, the consensus is that someone openly displaying a firearm like that doesn't cause them to think "he's probably a CCW-er!"

As far as the 'profiling' comment goes: Red, yellow, black or white. If you're walking down US1 in Ft. Pierce with a gun out, you can expect to be on the ground in pretty short order.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
I am not sure how that is considered an accidental exposure.
I agree. That moron made no attempt to conceal his handgun. Should invest in a decent IWB holster and gun belt and wear his baggy pants higher.

That was no accidental exposure. That was idiocy at work.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Profiling at work here?
tc
Maybe, but things have improved. 20 years ago 6 cops showing up like that would have beaten the tar out of that fellow just for good measure.

I remember how my CCW instructor picked on a Black student here in Florida and the question was if you should volunteer to tell a police officer if you are concealed carrying with a license if you get pulled over at 2:30 am on the highway. The Black guy said yes, and the instructor gave him a funny look and said in a very sarcastic manner "A Black man with a gun at 2:30 AM in the morning?"

The answer was never to volunteer that information unless asked. Generally if the Driver's license is good, and all the insurance and registration works out, you'll get either a warning or a citation and be on your way. Unless there is some outstanding legal issue like an unpaid fine or a history, they will never ask for them to get out of the car and be padded down. If there is a problem they generally will ask about weapons.

The point being there is still a distinct profiling against minorities, especially either Blacks or Hispanics that don't speak English, and opening a conversation with a police officer that they are dealing with an armed minority can lead to a rough time whether legal or not.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM

The real problem is the fact that open carry is banned there.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead2self View Post
It's obvious that it's an OWB holster being carried on baggy pants with no belt.
How in the world do you carry OWB without a belt???
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post
Clip on holster clipped to your pants? That's probably why it looks like his shorts are falling down.

Last edited by Mr. T; 06-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grenouille View Post
Paddle holster? Clip-on?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM

While I agree the guy is a moron, it looks like the people of Florida need to push their legislature for Open carry. While Mississippi is not an "Open Carry State" we dont get arrested for it as long as we have a ccw
Old 06-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeatty1983 View Post
While I agree the guy is a moron, it looks like the people of Florida need to push their legislature for Open carry. While Mississippi is not an "Open Carry State" we dont get arrested for it as long as we have a ccw
The bill that the blogger is referring to (SB234) was originally intended to be Florida's "open carry bill". However, it was repeatedly gutted and became nothing more than an official decriminalization of inadvertent exposure of a lawfully-carried concealed weapon.

It'll be a while before Florida sees open carry. Too many snowbirds and old folks would be 'uncomfortable'. Remember - we are home of the newly bred and nearly dead :/
Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The argument against "open carry" in Florida as it was explained by a prominent gun-law lawyer is that it would set off a rebuttal wave of anti-gun legislation that would allow stores to post "No Gun" signs on store fronts akin to the infamous Texas 30.06 sign law which gives a "no-gun" sign posted on a door the force of law. In Florida, we have no carry restriction (if you properly conceal carry with a license) except those places explicitly outline by the state statutes. Signs right now have no force of law except that you can be trespassed off any private property for any reason... including if they detect you're conceal carrying a weapon, but it has to be done verbally to you if you walk into a store.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm not a fan of open carry as a Firefighter I go into the hood way too often and they don't need ANYTHING to encourage them. Now what they need to pass is legislation that lets FD personelle open carry while on duty. That I'm down with.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrefighter View Post
I'm not a fan of open carry as a Firefighter I go into the hood way too often and they don't need ANYTHING to encourage them. Now what they need to pass is legislation that lets FD personelle open carry while on duty. That I'm down with.
Im not a fan of people burning American flags, but that doesnt mean its not their right to do it.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Im not a fan of people burning American flags, but that doesnt mean its not their right to do it.
Duly noted but at least with a CCP there is a back round check that gives some semblance of "Due Diligence"... I'm not necessarily against open carry just hoodlums open carrying ....
Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Veering off topic fellas. Get it back on track.

Robert

NRA Endowment Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 06-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Duly noted but at least with a CCP there is a back round check that gives some semblance of "Due Diligence"... I'm not necessarily against open carry just hoodlums open carrying ....
"Hoodlums" generally don't advertise that they're breaking the law, so it's probably not something to be worried about.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
And why do you think you are special?
"At the end of the day, you are getting a gun that has real soul, and almost takes on it's own personality. No two are exactly the same, and that's the great thing about them." Rob Schauland (AlchemyCustom) on Les Baers.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:11 PM

Guys, Robert said to get back on track.

What's a Derp ?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 PM

I noticed the text in the arrest report.

The guy had his shirt tucked in.
With the holster outside his pants.

No effort to conceal at all.
That's a pity, given Florida's statute.

Was this a lack of education, or stupidity, or inadvertent negligence,
or an act of civil disobedience to gain standing to challenge a law which
violates the Second Amendment?

It would seem that one cannot open carry,
one can only conceal carry in Florida.
But one can only carry concealed with a state issued license.
And that might be the problem, requiring a state license
with fee to be able to exercise a civil right.
Closed Thread