1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 AM

Deployment Pistols

I'm deployed in Afganistan right now, and the team that I am on is looking at getting 1911s as a way of commemorating the deployment. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it we are a small team (12 men) with only half the team looking at getting in on the purchase (3 for sure, 3 on fence). The bad news is that this would fall way below the minimum requirements for most large companies deployment deals. The good news is that it is actually a small enough number that we could have a gunsmith make the pistols.

I talked to a few gunsmiths around Fort Sill, but wanted to put out feelers for a broader area. We are looking at spending about 1300$ as a rough upper limit per gun and would be curious as to what recommendations gunsmith or parts wise you guys would have.

We have been looking at Caspian frames and slides, and despite it being a deployment pistol we are all looking for shooters with reliability being the #1 objective. We are based out of Oklahoma but would be very open to gunsmiths in Texas or Louisiana in particular. I'm just open to recommendations.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM

I can't see this happening for under $2000 using Caspian with a gunsmith doing it for such a small group.... unless you find a good hearted Smith.

We had NHC build 12 guns for us ...the price was reduced ...a little above dealer even though it was highly custom for how we will use it but still very expensive.

If it were me.... I would buy a 1911 and have a Smith stamp words or symbol/s of your choice on the side.

Last edited by XKR; 06-14-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 AM

First experience of any sort with custom guns, previously I've bought stock and then modified over several years. The price range I had was based off of what the area gunsmiths had told me price wise.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Kimber and Colt have done some small runs for deployment pistols in the past, but I think they required a larger buy in, like 50. Glad the tradition of guys getting guns to commemorate their deployment is still going on. All of my family members have guns from various times of service.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned

Thank you for your service and may G-D protect you and your friends over there. I have a nephew serving there right now he is a Navy surgeon.

If I was a gunsmith I would do them at cost for you guys but I am not. Any gunsmith reading that?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:19 PM

I'd say buy a quality production 1911 and have commemorative grips and/or laser etching on the slides in a nice presentation case.

This would be much cheaper/ easier to accommodate such a small order.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

I would look into ordering some engraved Series 70 Colt O1970A1CS models from Colt themselves and see what they say. I believe the Colt rep Brent is on this forum?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM

First, take care of yourself and your buddies, get back in one piece, brother.

Second, a smith up in northern Nevada is currently doing that for a National Guard unit that just returned. $1300 per pistol he told me. I don't know the specifications, but these are competent gunsmiths who make working pistols for a living (not just pretty safe queens). They are getting special serial numbers on the frame and everything. I'll get you their contact info if you want to send them a message. Just PM me here on 1911Forum.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 PM

There is a forum member not too long ago where he and his buddies in the military ordered a total of 30 commemorative pistols from Kimber. He even posted pictures in the Kimber subforum. Try getting in touch with Kimber Inc. and see if they can set you up.

Thanks for your service!

Last edited by DArBad; 06-14-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM

Sig, Kimber, and Para Ord are the big three for Military/Police unit marked guns (loaded gun with lower cost and custom marked).

For a small run (less than 25 or so) I would go with Colt and the custom shop. Colt does some great stuff for set Military units/classes.

Get a set gun and get some set tweeks and unit markings. No a lot of places will give you the deal that the custom/mass made unit marked guns have on such a low order.

I think for $1,300.00 you could gt a nice Colt set up.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 PM

I think it's going to push past your 1300 each target for what you are proposing. I would be willing to contribute to "project pistol fund" if you set one up.
Thank you for your service.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

I would contact Brent at Colt. You could start with a Combat Elite or another XSE as a base model and work out 3 or 4 hundred dollars worth of custom work done to them. Brent is a member here on the forum.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:27 AM

Thanks for all of the input so far guys, definitely appreciate it. As far as a gun fund, I appreciate the sentiment but I don't think any of us could accept that and feel right about it. As far as the components I mentioned, I'm one of two guys on the team that regularly shoots 1911 pistols and neither of us have really done anything custom before. The components were just what one of the gunsmiths I talked to back home mentioned using at that price point. Really we are open to whatever though. Our number one goal is to have shooters with great reliability.

Did one to clear up one potential note that could cause some confusion. I am on a 12 man team which is odd, but we are in no way Special Forces. We are advisers to the Afghan Army is all, nothing high speed to see here.

Once again thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanc View Post
I'd say buy a quality production 1911 and have commemorative grips and/or laser etching on the slides in a nice presentation case.

This would be much cheaper/ easier to accommodate such a small order.
This makes sense to me for young men pulling a military paycheck, who also wants a pistol for his great, great grandchildren to enjoy.
Get the U.S. out of the U.N.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 AM

If it were me I would approach Les Baer and talk to him directly. I know his prices are higher typically but I seem to recall he has worked with military folks doing something simular in the past.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Killr7- Thanks for your service and what a great idea. I'm like the others though in that you'll probably be paying more than your stated goal.
May I suggest you look into http://www.edbrown.com/ You'll be paying about twice as much as your goal,. but will have the reliability and a pistol that will serve generations to come. The will do most anything you want. Good luck~
Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Contact Springfield for some custom Operators...?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=10

Give em a call..

http://www.springfield-armory.com/contactus.php
Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Banned

Now I know you guys are talking about 1911's and knowing the price issues with the 1911 and the only company that can come close to this price would be SA but if not have you thought about a special personalized edition of the Beretta that is currently in service with our troops or even a SIG 229?
Also all of you please do not jump on me because I personally would not get a Berretta but I would like a SIG 229 and I am not talking about a Glock.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killr7 View Post
Did one to clear up one potential note that could cause some confusion. I am on a 12 man team which is odd, but we are in no way Special Forces. We are advisers to the Afghan Army is all, nothing high speed to see here.

Thanks for your service! You guys are all heroes in my book, regardless of what kind of unit you're in.

Out of curiosity, is the 1911 your issued side-arm? Here's the reason I ask...We all love the 1911 here (obviously) but to me, it would be more meaningful to have the commemorative pistol be what I was used to carrying. In other words, I work in LE, and my duty weapon is a Glock 22. It is far from a "pretty" weapon, and doesn't exactly scream "heirloom". But if I was getting a gun to commemorate my service in LE, it would without a doubt be a Glock 22 with some sort of custom engraving or some such. After all, isn't the item supposed to be representative of your service?
Where the brave may live forever!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
If it were me.... I would buy a 1911 and have a Smith stamp words or symbol/s of your choice on the side.
Maybe you get a relatively plain 1911, like a stainless Dan Wesson Valor, and have something etched on the slide? You might contact Keith on the Dan Wesson forum and see if they'd be willing to do something like that for you in that price range.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
Thanks for your service! You guys are all heroes in my book, regardless of what kind of unit you're in.

Out of curiosity, is the 1911 your issued side-arm? Here's the reason I ask...We all love the 1911 here (obviously) but to me, it would be more meaningful to have the commemorative pistol be what I was used to carrying. In other words, I work in LE, and my duty weapon is a Glock 22. It is far from a "pretty" weapon, and doesn't exactly scream "heirloom". But if I was getting a gun to commemorate my service in LE, it would without a doubt be a Glock 22 with some sort of custom engraving or some such. After all, isn't the item supposed to be representative of your service?
I was thinking something similar then read your post...
Old 06-17-2012, 05:23 AM

As far as getting 1911s vs M9s, the interesting thing about the soldiers that carry the M9 is that we generally despise it. It is not so much an issue of what we use, and wanting to have something that will remind us of the weapons. Rather, we just want something to remind us of the people we have so far spent months with. Also it is an excuse for those of us that are married to get the weapons we want with only a minimum of complaints from our better halves.

What we are looking at as an alternative is getting some AR15s instead of 1911s, blasphemous I know. That is something a few of us have actually built before which could eliminate big gunsmiths fees.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Also it is an excuse for those of us that are married to get the weapons we want with only a minimum of complaints from our better halves.
LOL. I know your feeling exactly! This is a way better excuse than I could ever give my wife. I'm sure having you back home will help too! Sounds like a great idea.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Someone like Spikes may be able to help you out with custom engraved lowers they do matching billet uppers and lowers if memory serves.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:

........ I am on a 12 man team which is odd, but we are in no way Special Forces. We are advisers to the Afghan Army is all, nothing high speed to see here.

You are still heroes, you are all away from your family, you are still sacrificing.........we still respect, admire you and are indeed thankful for your service.

Hope you find the gun setup your are all looking for.