1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Les Baer

Old 06-13-2012, 06:57 PM

38 sup stinger

Just saw that Les is offering the Stinger in 38 Super. Have always been intrigued by that caliber and am asking myself if I would replace my .45 with a Sup........ higher velocity creating a bit more energy and an extra round. What about recoil ??
Why is this new offering $ 500 more than a Stinger in .45acp ??
Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 PM

.38 super in an all steel 1911 is a pleasure to shoot. Much less recoil and muzzle flip than .45. Downside is you cant go to walmart and buy ammo if you didnt get a chance to reload enough for a day at the range.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 AM

If you hand load, 38 Super is a great idea. Put it in a CCO package like the Stinger and you've got the perfect CCW for me. 8+1 rounds with an Officers grip length and ballistics close to .357 Magnum.

I can't tell if the barrel in the 38 Super Stinger is fully ramped. LB site says "fully supported chamber" but I'd want a ramped barrel too. You need a ramped barrel to get a fully supported chamber so that you can use +P 38 Super. That may be the reason for the cost difference.

Tripp Research makes very nice 38 Super magazines for an Officers frame. Not easy to find. The Wilsons are full length mags with an extension in front.(learned that the hard way)

http://38super.net/Pages/comparisons.html

Ballistics are good and recoil would be more manageable than a .45.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinMan View Post
If you hand load, 38 Super is a great idea. Put it in a CCO package like the Stinger and you've got the perfect CCW for me. 8+1 rounds with an Officers grip length and ballistics close to .357 Magnum.

I can't tell if the barrel in the 38 Super Stinger is fully ramped. LB site says "fully supported chamber" but I'd want a ramped barrel too. You need a ramped barrel to get a fully supported chamber so that you can use +P 38 Super. That may be the reason for the cost difference.

Tripp Research makes very nice 38 Super magazines for an Officers frame. Not easy to find. The Wilsons are full length mags with an extension in front.(learned that the hard way)

http://38super.net/Pages/comparisons.html

Ballistics are good and recoil would be more manageable than a .45.
all 38 super ammo is now classified as +p. you don't have to have a ramped barrel to support factory ammo. my 38 super shoots +p just fine without a ramped barrel.

i have had the most luck with the metalform mags. i have a few wilsons and the followers aren't steel. i have problems when i run those mags. i use their .45 mags with no problem at all.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:14 AM

to the OP: my 38 super is not a les baer. i imagine the 38 costs more because the slide and ejector are different. different usually costs more.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM

I'm betting it will be highly sought after gun by us Baer lovers and we'll pay the bit extra.

I love 38 Super, I have one in Colt and a custom build going on at Alchemy Custom. This 38 Stinger will prolly be a purchase for next year!
Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM

If I didn't live in Mass I'd be all over one of those.

Bob
Old 06-16-2012, 03:52 PM

I already talked to CJ about one. I have not put money down on it yet, but I will. As a 38 super fan, why not? In fact today I loaded 900 38 super reloads prior to hitting the forums.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM

I loaded 200. Cleaned 500. I'll be loading them tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 AM

38 Super Stinger

If it's listed as a fully supported barrel, and I'd assume that. Then there is quite a bit more machining and fitting required. More money. The older Colt 38 Supers used to headspace on the semi-rim via the extractor and were notorious for poor accuracy. This one will headspace on the cartridge front edge inside the chamber as it was designed. It should shoot well and handle the pressure well also.

Nice flat shooting pistol.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 AM

I agree, it should be a nice flat pistol. It all comes down if you are a 38 super fan (like me) I will end up springing for it. I have basically talked myself into getting one just reading this posting over again. I guess another call to CJ is in order this week.

By the way, I broke another box of 1000 38 super brass from starline yesterday. It is always fun seeing that nice fresh brass! My project for today is turning those into loaded rounds.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM

I'm the original poster and appreciate all of the info but only one person referred to recoil. I am pretty good with .45acp and the major reason I would consider .38 sup is if the I could become better with reduced recoil. Is this reasonable ?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orutra View Post
I'm the original poster and appreciate all of the info but only one person referred to recoil. I am pretty good with .45acp and the major reason I would consider .38 sup is if the I could become better with reduced recoil. Is this reasonable ?
Thanks
I have a full-sized, all steel 1911 chambered in .45 ACP and a CCO-style (like Stinger) 1911 with an alloy frame chambered in 9x23 Winchester (similar to .38 Super but hotter). Between the two, the recoil is different but one is not exactly "less" than the other.. The 9x23 Win is more of a snap while .45 ACP is a stronger push. I find it easier and faster to get back on target with the 9x23 Win pistol but YMMV. I would think that .38 Super would be even easier to manage than 9x23 Winchester.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Time to break open the piggy banks fellas. CJ has his first shipment of .38 Super Stingers enroute to N. Idaho.

I'm off to turn the sofa upside down, and dig through the wife's car. These are going to be SWEET!