1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 PM

scorpion w/2 piece guide rod assembly?

What's the deal with this 2 piece guide rod assembly?I installed one in my scorpion and didn't really feel any difference in the way the gun fired.is there any benefits to the full length guide rod to the original that came with the gun? Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13 AM

I dont think there are any benefits. Some people say it adds a bit of weight to the end of the gun and smooths out the action, but honest I just think it makes the gun way more difficult to field strip. I would take the FLGR and toss it and put the GI rod back in. Just my opinion.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51 AM

I have a full length guide rod in mine but it is made by Spinco and it has a recoil reduction spring built into it ( check them out, Google Spinco ) any ways, I disagree with the makes it harder to field strip. I actually find it easier to field strip. I can remove the entire slide by just removing the slide stop. I dont have to remove the the guide rod plug or spring, the entire slide just comes off in one piece. Now I couldn't do this with the GI style but it might be my incompetence. But the Spinco allowe me to do this like I have been able to do with any of my other pistols. It also has helped improve my shoot but your results could vary

Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Full lenght guide rods are a cure for a nonexistant problem.

Mine are all in the trash, just where they belong.

I am curious, why would anyone want to take the slide off with everything in it. Just so it makes it easier to launch all the components?

Bob
Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 PM

To the the above senior poster. I resect your opinion but it doesn't make it fact. I also think if you had a lot of full length guide rods to throw away, then either you or your fire arms manufacturer thought they were necessary at one time for whatever reason. Just to clarify, when the slide is removed, the parts dont or won't fly all over the place. You still have to remove the barrel bushing in order to remove the guide rod. You also do not need a bushing wrench to disassemble either so I have yet to see the downside other than its something extra that I had to buy that I wish came one the pistol in the first place. I know this new fangled technology such as the fuel injection, smart phones, and WiFi internet might not be necessary in your life but it is possible for an idea that didn't exist 100 years ago to be an improvement on a yet already excellent design.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGmanfrued View Post
To the the above senior poster. I resect your opinion but it doesn't make it fact. I also think if you had a lot of full length guide rods to throw away, then either you or your fire arms manufacturer thought they were necessary at one time for whatever reason. Just to clarify, when the slide is removed, the parts dont or won't fly all over the place. You still have to remove the barrel bushing in order to remove the guide rod. You also do not need a bushing wrench to disassemble either so I have yet to see the downside other than its something extra that I had to buy that I wish came one the pistol in the first place. I know this new fangled technology such as the fuel injection, smart phones, and WiFi internet might not be necessary in your life but it is possible for an idea that didn't exist 100 years ago to be an improvement on a yet already excellent design.
I don't need a barrel bushing wrench to do my gi setup.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
I don't need a barrel bushing wrench to do my gi setup.
Barrel bushing wrench?! What's that ?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB Si View Post
Barrel bushing wrench?! What's that ?
Its a tool used to remove the bushing that allows the 1911 to be disassembled Buy allowing the guide rod plug to be removed. Some 1911 require this tool and this tool has been believed to be needed to take down 1911's with full length guide rods.

It is not needed with Sig's with GI guide rods and it is not needed with my set up with the Sprinco guide rod either. Once again no drawbacks. I think taking the slide off without having take the chance that your plug will go shooting across the room or range is a benefit to me. I also like the peace of mind I have about the spring not binding because it has a full length guide rod to travel along.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGmanfrued View Post
Its a tool used to remove the bushing that allows the 1911 to be disassembled Buy allowing the guide rod plug to be removed. Some 1911 require this tool and this tool has been believed to be needed to take down 1911's with full length guide rods.

It is not needed with Sig's with GI guide rods and it is not needed with my set up with the Sprinco guide rod either. Once again no drawbacks. I think taking the slide off without having take the chance that your plug will go shooting across the room or range is a benefit to me. I also like the peace of mind I have about the spring not binding because it has a full length guide rod to travel along.
I was being sarcastic. Never needed one.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:32 PM

I was being informative, its not everyday I know the answer to a question asked.............lol
Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 AM

thank you for all the feedback,and information.This forum has provided me tons of guidance.truly greatful.God bless
Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

FLGR's, I can take them or leave them. My gun has one now, but only because I lost my GI rod.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM

My Sig 1911 Ultra came with a full length guide rod all ready installed new in the box. However I do not have the standard 1911 GI barrel bushing either. My Ultra has a bushing that pops out of the slide inwards after you take the guide rod and spring out first. But according to the original take down instructions in the manual, the Ultra used to have the GI style spring, plunger and barrel bushing. The new take down instructions were on a loose page hand inserted into the manual. So the full length guide rod is a new thing Sig just decided to use on the Ultra.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Ultra's have had FLGR's, bull barrels and reverse plugs from day 1.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM

I'm not letting this dead horse die......lol.
I dont like the 2 piece guide rods that require a tool for disassembling as a self defensive piece because it may leave you holding a hammer in a gun fight. I think it may be acceptable for a range or target pistol but not my life depends on it gun. I have yet to see a regret to my choice and if someone wants to point some out I'm game.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 PM

well myth busters proved that in the right gun fight a knife is better so what not a hammer(sorry about the smart assed remark but i couldn't help myself)
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 AM

I saw that episode also. Now him slowly drawing his firearm and then racking the slide to chamber a round and then trying to take a "well placed" shot probably is the best case scenario for the knife weilder. Might of been a little different at least a difference in safe distance with a trained shooter, a shooter with a round already in the chamber, a shooter that knows how to draw and disengage the safety while obtaining a good sight picture.

Those guy were clueless.