1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > The Armed Citizen

Old 06-11-2012, 07:29 PM

This morning in West Palm Beach, FL

Great story in the Ft. Lauderdale, FL Sun Sentinel this morning, about a West Palm Beach couple that came home early in the morning(2:15 AM) and were assaulted as they entered their home by a "gentleman" with a handgun. They were unarmed. The gunman forced them to lead him into their home. Once inside, the husband struggled with the gunman and in the midst of the fight, the husband got hold of the handgun. The husband shot the attacker with the attacker's own gun, The attacker stumbled out the door and collapsed on the walkway in front of the home. The couple called the police and an ambulance. The West Palm Beach Fire Rescue squad pronounced him dead at the scene.

Don't you just love a story with a happy ending?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:33 PM

wow, didn't hear about that. Glad it ended right.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Are you kidding me? Florida will argue that once the husband got the pistol, he was not facing bodily injury or lethal threat any longer. Clear case of 2nd degree murder according to Corey, I bet.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM

He was justified.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 PM

he just saved tax payers thousands
Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofbarbeque View Post
Are you kidding me? Florida will argue that once the husband got the pistol, he was not facing bodily injury or lethal threat any longer. Clear case of 2nd degree murder according to Corey, I bet.
Nah! You're confusing Florida with NYC.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 AM

One wonders if the homeowner had begun punching and kicking the bad guy, and the BG had to shoot to protect himself from his attacker...... Who'd have been "standing their ground"? Is it possible to 'stand your ground' (and be acquitted) in someone else's home? ....To save your own life?

Answer carefully, we still haven't sorted out the Trayvon Martin case.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-shooter View Post
One wonders if the homeowner had begun punching and kicking the bad guy, and the BG had to shoot to protect himself from his attacker...... Who'd have been "standing their ground"? Is it possible to 'stand your ground' (and be acquitted) in someone else's home? ....To save your own life?

The couple was confronted by an armed attacker, kicking and punching would be completely justified. It would be hard for an armed intruder to claim self-defense against an unarmed homeowner. Let's try to avoid the closing of a good thread because it gets turned into another Zimmerman thread.

Last edited by Mr. T; 06-12-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
No, if you are committing a felony you do not get to use the 'stand your ground' defense if your victim starts beating your arse. That is why I think that 'stand your ground' does not apply to the Zimmerman defense. If Martin attacked him and was smashing his head into the ground (which most of the evidence we're privy to seems to suggest), then shooting his attacker is simply self defense. If you like the Sharpton account of things, where Zimmerman hunted him down and blew him to Kingdom Come with Skittles flying everywhere, that would be murder so again the 'stand your ground' defense does not apply.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Doesn't matter if you're dead.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayro View Post
he just saved tax payers thousands
Could'nt agree with you more!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Let's not turn this into a Zimmerman/Martin thread.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:35 PM

Florida law is pretty clear on this, once the threat is reduced or minimized, you no longer have justification to shoot. If the struggle was ongoing and the original perpetrator got shot, fair game. If the homeowner got the gun, stood up and drilled the attacker, not so much. Hope the homeowner gets a smart lawyer who tells him about options and testifying. Hope, also, he didn't make to much in the way of statements.

I agree about saving the state the money.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelstrokeed View Post
Florida law is pretty clear on this, once the threat is reduced or minimized, you no longer have justification to shoot. If the struggle was ongoing and the original perpetrator got shot, fair game. If the homeowner got the gun, stood up and drilled the attacker, not so much. Hope the homeowner gets a smart lawyer who tells him about options and testifying. Hope, also, he didn't make to much in the way of statements.

I agree about saving the state the money.
Unless the bad guy tries to recover his gun. Even though he may be disarmed, he can still present a threat.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gunner View Post
Doesn't matter if you're dead.
Now that is the essence of "common sense" in my book, and the bad guy, got the only rehab he needed.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:42 AM

I believe the only way this could go bad for the homeowner is if he shot the BG in the back as the BG was running away and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Two posts were removed. Keep the discussion about self-defense and not about "race" or the thread goes away. It matters not the person's skin color if they are attacking you and you are forced to defend yourself. We all bleed red blood.

Leave the race baiting to the media.

Fin
Old 06-23-2012, 07:38 PM

they are so lucky. it takes more than luck in that case. they better thank god, for the second chance in life. gun point, and you have nothing but a shock look at your face and order to go inside your house. thats some hairy sh!t!!! i have been jacked at gunpoint and you are in the total mercy of the BG, you never forget. It be with you forever. it could turn your very militant or very victimized.

it was not the couples appt with god but it was his...thats awesome. thats just god looking out. If you were a criminal with a deadly intent like this situation, no matter who he is, if unarmed, you think he could grab the gun from you before you shoot him dead??? thats hairy stuff
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Could not have had a better ending.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethhardy View Post
He was justified.
"He drew first, I was justified." JUSTIFIED (Sorry, I couldn't help myself Really good news in this case is both victims are ok, the BG is down and can't sue; shot with his own gun - bet it has a tangled and sordid past as does the perpertrator. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM

+ 1k good job