1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Range Report on my Kimber Super Carry Custom

I finally finished my 200 round break in period on my Kimber Super Carry Custom. The first 100 rounds were MAGTECH 230gr FMJ and I had only one minor hiccup - a partial ejection at about the 50th round through the gun. Then I shot 50 rounds of Federal 230 FMJ gr with no issues and the same with the 50 rounds of Remmington 230 gr FMJ.

Obviously I'm thrilled with gun. It shoots oh-so-sweetly, is very accurate, and and the trigger is incredible!

The last 100 rounds were at a buddy's gun club. We shot my Kimber and my STAG AR 15 (Model 8L with an Aimpoint Comp 2 red dot site) and his .357 S&W revolver, Baretta 92F, Wather .40, .22 S&W target, and another I don't recall (a Keltec 9mm I think). All together it was me, my buddy, my wife, and my son. Far and away everyone liked shooting my guns the most. My wife wasn't a big fan of the AR but she loved my 1911 and probably shot it as well if not better than most of us there.

It's my first 1911 and I discovered a few things about it that I didn't know before purchasing; it has a series 70 trigger and a half length guide rod. My brother's CDP II is series a 80 and came with a full guide rod.

Oh, and it came with an 8 round KimPro Tac mag. I'm not sure if Kimber has heard the complaints about supplying their guns with crappy mags and they are now supplying their quality mags with all of their guns or if they're just doing it with their top of the line guns. I had bought 3 other KimPro Tac mags and all have performed flawlessly.

Anyway, that's all for data points for now.

Happy shooting all!

JAWZ

Last edited by JAWZ306; 06-11-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM

Glad to hear your happy with your Kimber.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks BYJO4. I've been checking out some other threads on the Kimber section and still see lots of complaints about the stock Kimber mags. Anyone else recently bought a Kimber and have it come with the KimPro mag?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Just shot my new CDP ultra today.I tried the crappy mag it came with.No probems. It should of come with a pro tac mag for what these guns cost.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:57 PM

My Super Carry Ultra HD came with the KimPro mag
Old 06-12-2012, 03:02 PM

I wonder why some are and some are not coming with the better mags. I guess I just have to count myself lucky. I was also surprised about the half length guide rod and series 70 trigger. My brother suspects that Kimber was pandering to all of the old-school traditionalists 1911 types on forums like this one. Neither of those two attributes mean much to me really. I just like the tight tolerances, nice fit and finish, and carryabliity for their full size 1911.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWZ306 View Post
It's my first 1911 and I discovered a few things about it that I didn't know before purchasing; it has a series 70 trigger and a half length guide rod. My brother's CDP II is series a 80 and came with a full guide rod.
Your SCC has no Swartz Safety, your brother's CDP II does. The Swartz firing-pin block is neither "Series 80" nor "Series 70".

Handgun Safeties

The guide-rod in your SCC II is "GI length" and is the original design specification; many people prefer them in fact, myself included. I've yet to read or have any experience that convinces me full-length guide rods are anything but a "solution" in search of a problem. You can always install one, though, if you want... Many people do after all.

Last edited by Horoscope Fish; 06-12-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added link to article...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the knowledge Horoscope Fish. I am very satisfied with every aspect of my SCC and can't think of any reason to change anything at this point. But as a relatively novice 1911 guy, you brought up a question I've been meaning to ask....why the difference in guide rod lengths? You say its a solution in search of a problem...I'm not trying to start any of the back and forth crap that can be an issue on gun forums but....I'm guessing there are some out there that are big proponents of the full length guide rods over the GI length...any straight up no B.S. answers?

In that same vane, I do understand the difference between Series 70 and 80 triggers (or at least I thought I did), but what is the Swartz safety?

Thanks, I sincerely want to be a more knowledgeable 1911 owner.

JAWZ
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWZ306 View Post
but what is the Swartz safety?
It's a firing pin safety originally developed by Colt pre-WWII that uses the grip safety to deactivate (where as the Colt Series 80 uses the trigger to lift the plunger to deactivate the FP safety)/

Looks like this.

Robert

Last edited by thearmedrebel; 06-12-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: fixed the image tag
Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the report.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks to the ArmedRebel and Horoscopefish for the info on the safeties. When I looked at this thread last night on my wife's computer, the link for the safeties on Horoscopefish's post didn't show up for some reason (might be a browser setting on her PC). Anyway, thanks again...I try to be a little smarter about 1911s and M14s everyday.