1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Kimber Pro Carry, chambered with defense rounds, on the night stand with cell phone for wife to grab as she goes to the patio in case of intrusion. We've been the victim once, and once was too much.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Full size SA in black chrome w/ night sights. Cocked and locked, with another spare mag and maglite in my hidden compartment of nightstand.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:22 PM

My xdm. 45 with light, loaded with 230 grain bonded golden sabers, extra magazine on my nightstand.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 AM

I am kind of boring I guess..... My Doberman, Remington 870 and my Colt 1911 series 70........
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM

as much as it should be my 1911, I use my carry gun but add a tlr1 light to it. Smith and Wesson M&P9 compact w/ hornady critical defense rounds.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 PM

HKP30 or Glock 19 and Surefire X300 and 12" SBR

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:39 PM

A P30L 9mm and a TRP Operator. Both Condition 3, JHP's, with extra mags, in a pistol safe next to the bed that stays open while I'm home (till the kid becomes mobile, then it will have to stay locked)...
Old 06-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Should be my just converted Saiga-12, but for some reason I'm more comfortable with my Les Baer.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoid View Post
Should be my just converted Saiga-12, but for some reason I'm more comfortable with my Les Baer.
You can make mo bigger holes with the Saiga.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt7d101 View Post
You can make mo bigger holes with the Saiga.
No question. The firepower that thing puts out is ridiculous!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoid View Post
So am I. I live in an older chopped up house and it could be really difficult to bring even a short shotgun to bear in a way conducive to clearing the rooms. I prefer a 1911 and a nice bright separate light.

I will admit, though, that my "bedroom gun" is a Makarov. I'm sure that it's dead-ass reliable and accurate, and my wife has decided it makes here more comfortable (pretty much the deciding factor after dependability), and I'm OK with that. I spend a lot of my non-sleeping time in the basement and my 1911 is mere inches from my right hand, and I'm pretty old-school about home defense, I keep loaded handguns at a variety of locations in the house and my 870 and M-1 carbine very close. All of them out of reach of toddlers and small children, and I police things up before my grandkids visit, but they live a long way away and don't visit as often as I like.

I love my 870 with the "DRS" barrel as an outside defensive weapon within its practical range, but it's just awkward to use inside the way this house is configured. I really don't want a pistol-mounted light either because of the tendency of using it as a primary light and thus pointing it at people who might not be bad guys just to determine their status. Besides, I don't want to let the bad guys get that clear a location on me by following back the light.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 PM

1911 loaded w/ one in the tube in the nightstand. both shotguns in the safe nearby loaded and ready to party
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I really don't want a pistol-mounted light either because of the tendency of using it as a primary light and thus pointing it at people who might not be bad guys just to determine their status. Besides, I don't want to let the bad guys get that clear a location on me by following back the light.
I subscribe to your school of thought on weapon mounted lights. People tend to shoot at the threat. I have the broken fingers from sims instructing to prove it.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Llama .380 unracked on night stand.

Last edited by Mike_Dee; 06-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM

mossberg and a wilson le

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 06-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Springfield .40sw Champion bobtail

"Those who live by the sword...
Are generally shot by those who do not..."
Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt7d101 View Post
I subscribe to your school of thought on weapon mounted lights. People tend to shoot at the threat. I have the broken fingers from sims instructing to prove it.
I don't disagree, but they do have their place. For instance as a K9 handler I simply don't have enough hands to hold a leash, flashlight, and firearm at the same time. Ideally the handler is supposed to be "less lethal only" when the dog is deployed, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes your cover guy simply can't be close enough to provide lethal cover.
Where the brave may live forever!

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 06-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
I don't disagree, but they do have their place. For instance as a K9 handler I simply don't have enough hands to hold a leash, flashlight, and firearm at the same time. Ideally the handler is supposed to be "less lethal only" when the dog is deployed, but that isn't always the case. Sometimes your cover guy simply can't be close enough to provide lethal cover.
We used k-9 extensively......there was always at least one unit available on each shift. Whenever k-9 arrived either myself or a senior Officer armed with a shotgun would ALWAYS be with them while conducting a search or track. It's an Officer Safety issue..k-9's job is to control and handle the dog, anything else jeopardizes the dog and the Officer.

I don't do weapons mounted lights...I've got both a Gladius Blackhawk set to strobe and a Surefire next to the Sig.45.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
We used k-9 extensively......there was always at least one unit available on each shift. Whenever k-9 arrived either myself or a senior Officer armed with a shotgun would ALWAYS be with them while conducting a search or track. It's an Officer Safety issue..k-9's job is to control and handle the dog, anything else jeopardizes the dog and the Officer.
You're preaching to the choir. In a perfect world, that's how it works. I always try to deploy with a cover officer as well. However, as I said there are times when a cover officer can't be there. Some spaces in a house, attic, etc. where I deploy my dog from, there simply is not room enough for two humans and a dog to be in the same space. I've had this happen on SWAT callouts more than once. Similarly, in the woods it can get very tight as well. In addition to the tight space situations that arise, your cover officer is not always from your department. When you work with people from outside agencies they may be great (even better than some of your own coworkers), or they may be less than great. I've been on multiple tracks where I turned around to find my cover officer 25 yards behind me. It is their job to keep up. In those situations you very quickly become your own lethal cover.

And then of course there are those screwed up times when you have 6 guys covering the entire county, and several in-progress calls at once. Your closest cover is more than 1/2 an hour away Code-3 (if anyone can even come at all). Then your option becomes going in solo or with a dog. I'll typically take my dog as a cover officer over no cover officer.

Last edited by BoulderTroll; 06-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 AM

Loaded mag next to pistols and rifles, in the locker, with the key in the lock. I have audio alarms that would give me a few seconds warning to get prepped.
COTEP #281
Consistent dreamer of a larger firearms budget.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
You're preaching to the choir. In a perfect world, that's how it works. I always try to deploy with a cover officer as well. However, as I said there are times when a cover officer can't be there. Some spaces in a house, attic, etc. where I deploy my dog from, there simply is not room enough for two humans and a dog to be in the same space. I've had this happen on SWAT callouts more than once. Similarly, in the woods it can get very tight as well. In addition to the tight space situations that arise, your cover officer is not always from your department. When you work with people from outside agencies they may be great (even better than some of your own coworkers), or they may be less than great. I've been on multiple tracks where I turned around to find my cover officer 25 yards behind me. It is their job to keep up. In those situations you very quickly become your own lethal cover.

And then of course there are those screwed up times when you have 6 guys covering the entire county, and several in-progress calls at once. Your closest cover is more than 1/2 an hour away Code-3 (if anyone can even come at all). Then your option becomes going in solo or with a dog. I'll typically take my dog as a cover officer over no cover officer.
BT....I'll tell you the same thing I said to my squad after every roll call. "Do what you have to do, but BE CAREFUL out there. if you're not around to take care of your family, than who will ?" Job#1 is to go home at the end of your shift."

My Dept. was approx. 400 sworn with a population of over 200K..as you can well imagine, we had calls holding almost all the time, sometimes as many as 40. Dispatch would notify the zone Sgt. what was holding according to priority. My response,as well as the other Sgt's was "QSL, first available" Officer safety ALWAYS comes first and communication on who's doing what is essential. Everybody neeed to be on the same page before deploying.

I hope everyone on this forum reads www.uspcak9.com/pdf/valor.pdf before making command decisions about police actions and what they're response may or may not be. ....Stay safe BT.

Weapons lights are like Tracers...they work both ways.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 139 View Post
BT....I'll tell you the same thing I said to my squad after every roll call. "Do what you have to do, but BE CAREFUL out there. if you're not around to take care of your family, than who will ?" Job#1 is to go home at the end of your shift."

My Dept. was approx. 400 sworn with a population of over 200K..as you can well imagine, we had calls holding almost all the time, sometimes as many as 40. Dispatch would notify the zone Sgt. what was holding according to priority. My response,as well as the other Sgt's was "QSL, first available" Officer safety ALWAYS comes first and communication on who's doing what is essential. Everybody neeed to be on the same page before deploying.

I hope everyone on this forum reads www.uspcak9.com/pdf/valor.pdf before making command decisions about police actions and what they're response may or may not be. ....Stay safe BT.

Weapons lights are like Tracers...they work both ways.
Thanks Mike, always a good reminder! You stay safe as well.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I've become so accustomed to seeing supressors on long guns that it's almost "ho-hum". It''s almost rare anymore to see someone's tricked out Remington 700 or M4 without a supressor.

But supressors on pistols are just plain bad a$$. I'd take a pistol with a supressor over 10 tricked out M4's with supressors and short barrels.
I hear ya man. I'm addicted to suppressed pistols...hey...at least I admit it.

Sold that MK23 at far left and bought a TRP(threaded barrel getting fitted as I type)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM

One of these - that are my regular carry guns - comfortable and familiar with them - have it upside down on floor beside be - easily available in the blink of an eye - and on bedside stand is my Surefire 200 lumen light so I could blind and intruder and see just who needed shooting.

I don't use night sights - feel they violate rule #4 about being sure of you target - plus - I tried night sights on my Glocks and decided they not practical for me - couldn't identify target and, unless I closed my left eye - got four spots to choose to center.

YMMV
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
chambered, ready to go or magazine nearby?
In the drawer, on the bedside or in a gunvault or nearby safe?
Gunvault, Ed Brown loaded w/spare mags and tac light at bedside.

If the BG gets by the house alarm, they wont get by my German Shepherd with out him sounding the alarm. Should be able to fight my way to the big safe with more firepower.

Oh ya in case wifee reads this...............it is "her" German Shepherd.

Last edited by Tenringx2; 06-11-2012 at 06:34 PM.