1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM

I put another 100 rds through the EB EE yesterday bringing the round count to 1,722. When I shoot handguns, I wear soft contacts (-3.0/L,-3.5/R) and shooting glasses. I finally had to start wearing reading glasses at 55 and now at 57, have only had to increase magnification by .25 on the readers.

The front sight isn't as "sharp" as it once was but, head shots at 7 and 15 yards are still easy enough. Shooting 1" orange dots at 7 yards and purposely shooting for a group, yields an average group size of 2.5-3 inches. The groups at 15 yards are sometimes as good and generally 4" on the large size.

I am a high power rifle competitive shooter with 30+ years of experience. For that game, when shooting across the course (2, 3 & 600 yards) I wear a pair of Knobloch(sp) shooting glasses. The frames, as most of you know, hold a single lens that is fully adjustable. This allows the shooter to be able to look through a prescription lens that is always at "optical center" thus giving you the best sight picture possible.

For long range shooting or mid range, where scopes are allowed, I generally wear my contacts with shooting glasses or glasses with prescription lenses.
The scopes, in my opinion, turn the matches into true shooting contests and not a seeing contest. For that reason, I have recently built a scoped AR match rifle for across the course and mid range matches. I still can't shoot offhand scores that I am happy with but, I can "see"!

I know some bullseye, pistol competitors who wear Knoblochs as well. They seem to have very good results with them. The frames allow for easy replacement of lenses for prescription changes or for magnification ghanges for different conditions.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:39 AM

A few week's back I was at an outdoor range with my youngest son. He had a 22LR rifle with a fixed view scope on it. I never seen a scope that wasn't adjustable but he had one. I tried using it with and without my glasses. But the field of view was blurry in both configurations. So I told him there's something wrong with his scope. He looked at me and said "Dad" it's your eyes because the scope is perfectly clear for me. :-( He was right, my vision isn't as good as it once was. Reality can sometimes be a Bitch!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM

"Ah I see said the blind man" I have been shooting the 1911 for well over 40 years. I have noticed lately that my groups have been going to the left. I blamed the ammo, trigger , or anything else. It's hard to admit that your eyes are at fault. I will turn 66 next week. I guess that I should feel fortunate that I am able to still shoot at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM

As just about everybody knows life in California, as a shooter, isn't easy. But we do have one resource, that's kinda cool and relates to this thread. Dr. Norman Wong is an Optometrist and Bullseye shooter from San Francisco.

Here's a link to articles he's written on shooting that may be of interest.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
20/10 means that you can see at 20 feet what "normal" people can see at 10 feet. This is significantly better than normal.

20/20 means that you can see at 20 feet what "normal" people can see at 20 feet, that is to say, your vision is normal.

20/25 means that you can see at 20 feet what "normal" people can see at 25 feet. This is slightly below normal, but will seem much worse to someone who is used to 20/10.
Many thanks. I appreciate the explanation.

Craig
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 PM

In my case glasses do help old tired eyes, mine anyway.

If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there’d be a shortage of sand.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Relax guys, I'm only 24 and can't shoot worth a hoot out past 7 yards and my eyesight is great.

I'd take the accuracy and experience you've gained over a lifetime over the eagle vision I can get on the front sight 3 feet in front of my face almost any day
Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 AM

54 years old here. Extremely nearsighted since childhood. Living with the irony of now being more able to afford the guns and ammo that I wished for a couple decades ago while losing proficiency/enjoyment due to vision changes and increasing rheumatoid arthritis.

The range sessions are shorter but I'm still havin' fun.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 PM

This why they make "scatterguns!"

Sincerely,

PastorDW
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Shot my new EE yesterday for the first time. Left of bull like the OP. Will try again tomorrow. I think it has to do with getting use to the 3 dots again.
Been shooting Heine ledge straight 8s on my VBOB. No problems.
Age 52 and blind as a bat.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 AM

I just took up pistol shooting 5 months ago after 40 years of competitive shotgun shooting. I put on my lightest colored shooting glasses and off to the indoor range. I could see target fine but not the sights.
I called my optometrist shooting glass supplier and ordered a set of clear lens. I told him my problem and he said how is your vision and I told him I just had cataracts removed last year at 68 and had 20/20 vision. He said do you use readers and I said yes and he said that is your problem. He said he had many pistol shooters who have had the same problem. He sent me 4 lens from + 25 on up and said try the one that you can see the sights and the target with without any problem and assured me I would fine one. I did and it was the +25 in the right eye with the left plano and it works.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
hate to admit that so far I am the oldest one here. 68. And yes, getting old sucks. I can't shoot today as good as I could years back, but I have noticed from my own personal experiences recently.
Powder charge does make a difference on POI.
Indoor ranges generally don't have the best lighting, and sometimes, changing lanes to relocate your position in relationship to the lighting effects different POI's.
I will relieve your dismay over being the oldest - the year you were born I had served in the Army Air Force as navigator on B24s and had been admitted as a cadet to West Point - hope this makes you feel better - I'm coming up on my 86th anniversary of my arrival to this planet.

Back to subject of our vision going downhill - hard to believe my sight when I entered West Point was 20/10 - four years later I started in med school and required glasses. Was introduced to contact lenses at about age 50 - great things because they didn't fog vision when I was wearing a mask doing surgery.

Now at 86 - my second cataract was removed and I read the 20/30 line without corrective lenses - good for most things - but there is one hooker - I have a small dry macular degeneration in my right eye making a small spot fuzzy in the center of vision - only a problem except when I shoot my 1911s - the front sight is blurred in that small fuzzy spot - a little fuzzy while everythiing around it is clear and sharp - but I can still keep shots in the 8 ring at 25 yards. Less problem with my rifles since I mounted aperture rear sights.

After all this wandering, I'm just happy to still be here at an age I never expected to reach but feel that yellow stuff people refer to as gold in "golden ages" is not gold but is really rust.

Larger sights than originals -

Aperture rear sight on rifle -

Happy to be here anyway
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJK; 06-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Good thread and common issue among us in the over 60 group (and quite a few under 60s). My big challenge is getting a decent sight picture under low light conditions (e.g., the poorly lighted indoor range I frequent). I think the obvious lesson is that we have to make adjustments to accommodate our vision changes (vision correction, improved sights, etc), and we have to accept that our shooting may not be quite as precise as it once was (or maybe I remember mine being much better that it really was..). That doesn't change the fact that going to the range is still a fun experience after all these years, and we can still try to improve (or maintain) our pistol skills.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:38 PM

OJK,

I hope I make it to 86, let alone out shooting.

Glad to see you out doing fun stuff. Nice Winchester by the way.
1968, 69, 70
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
OJK,

I hope I make it to 86, let alone out shooting.

Glad to see you out doing fun stuff. Nice Winchester by the way.
Thanks for the kind words, Jim. Life has indeed been good to me so I have no legitimate complaints. I can boggle the minds of friends children (even grandchildren ) when I relate to them when I started at Denver University - fairly expensive school compared to other schools - tuition was $75.00 per quarter and assistantships (as lab assistants in chemistry & physics - or phys-ed property managers for intramural sports) - which paid half tuition were really very available due to low enrollment caused by guys gone to war. I got a year in before being called up on my enlistment as an Aviation Cadet.

My GI bill carried me through pre-med and the first half of med school - when scholarships that paid full tuition ($175.00 per quarter) were readily available for upper third of class students grade-wise and those scholarships got me through med school. Scholarships went begging because most fellow students were on GI Bill. I volunteered for another two years in the Air Force (Korean War) which, among other things, gave me the opportunity to pay off all my student debts.

Our generation was also unique - most generations of teens are ridiculed and looked down on - we were told in all sincerity - our country needed us so save it from Japanese and/or Germans. Those of us that survived were more than fortunate - military service had its rough spots but we got to mature early on as a result of our service.

Age has its drawbacks - I had to give up skiing years ago and sold my "personalized" BMW R100S motorcycle last month - knees are wearing out.

However, I love shooting and get out to the range every week - have a great wife who makes certain our schedule doesn't prevent that . As for the Winchester 95 rifle 30-06 - my wife gave me that for our 25th anniversary seven years ago (OK, so I did "help" her find it - husbands have an obligation to help their wives any way they can ).

I've been shooting a long time - here I was with my trophies in about 1933 with the rifle I got for my 6th birthday the year before.

So - I think I can go on shooting even with a little blurring of my front sight Colt Government Model 45s and the aperture sights are great for more clear visibility of front sight on my rifles - I have four lever guns plus an M1A - all with aperture rear sights - other guns too that now rest in the safe.

Life has been and still is good to me and I'm grateful.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJK; 06-11-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 AM

Very inspiring, thanks for posting...I would think that you have many good years ahead, though maybe at a slower pace. I'm just at 60 now, and God willing, I'm looking forward to better years ahead. I just need to be mindful that parts need a little more maintenance to keep in the long game!