1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 06-10-2012, 11:05 AM

1911 Bobtail E series.

Well, another chapter in the on going Saga of the S&W 1911 Bobtail. Friday morning I polished the bolt face, the inside of the extractor, the feed ramp, chamber, and throat to glass smooth.

This morning I walked out to the side yard (I live out in the country) with 25 pre-loaded magazines. Staged my targets at 10 yards and had at it. 200 rounds later my gun was dirty but functioned flawlessly. I got beaned twice by empty casings and realized those casing are not flying straight back into my face but are ejecting almost straight up, coming down twice on my head.

I'm shooting personal reloads. I load X-treme's 200 grain plated flat point bullet over 5.5 grains of W231. This load shot were the white tritium dot was put. Meaning cover the X ring with the front sight and a hole appears in the X ring (if I do my part). Which is a little low for me. I may try a lower front sight so I can shoot my normal 6 o'clock hold.

I believe this puts round count at 450. I felt really good about the pistol and how it ran. It was a great confidence builder. Still a ways to go before I completely trust this one for carry, but I'm getting there. I'd like to get the ejection down a little better. I've read about guys filing the ejector a little to get it to eject more to the side. Any direction on how to do that? Also I've added a link for X-treme bullets for anyone who wants to order from them. I have no relationship with the company other than being a satisfied customer.

http://xtremebullets.com/plated.htm And a picture of my pistol.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Glad to hear it is working. I had problems getting hit with brass. Sent it to S&W and they fixed that. After two trips back, however, they still hadn't fixed the failure to fully chamber problem. A well know local gunsmith (Terry Tussey) polished the bolt face and inside extractor. (He also said the extractor was "too tight" so he loosened it as well whatever that means.) That seems to have solved the problem. For the first time I was able to fire 100 rounds without any failure to chamber! Next I'm going out and try 200.

I believe getting hit by the brass means an adjustment to extractor is necessary. Some people do it themselves but I'd just take it to a good 1911 gunsmith and let them do it. It should be relative inexpensive.

When it works this is a great gun! Very accurate, easy to carry concealed and a 1911!

John
Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 AM

My 1911 TA E series drops them on my head as well, perhaps S&W should email the guys at SIG and ask them how to setup an external extractor that throws them to the side.....