1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
Mag options for my DW CCO




I'm new to this forum and am also new to the 1911. I have owned my DW CCO for a total of three days now. I have been shopping around for some extra magazines. I'm a little confused on what will work with my pistol. Wilson seems to make the 7 round magazines but they don't state if they are compatible with the DW. Wolff and Checkmate also make 7 round magazines but I'm not sure if they're compatible either. I know DW makes them but would also like to see what else is available. Maybe they all are compatible and I'm just clueless. Any input would be greatly appreciated
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 AM
JoeOU1 JoeOU1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,644
Any officer sized mags will work. I prefer Wilson and Tripp Cobras.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOU1 View Post
Any officer sized mags will work. I prefer Wilson and Tripp Cobras.
That's great, thank you for the info
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
I see that a lot of the mags have welded floor plates and some have removable floor plates. Is one better then the other or is it just a matter of preference? I imagine the welded floor plates fit more flush in the mag well compared to the removable ones.
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 PM
scubie02 scubie02 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: occupied territory
Posts: 3,123
removable ones allow them to be cleaned or to have the guts swapped down the road.
__________________
"Karma? Karma's just justice without the satisfaction, and I don't believe in justice."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
Good info, so welded floor plate mags are not upgradeable. That's good to know. Thanks
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
tocohillsguy tocohillsguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlon2fingers View Post
I see that a lot of the mags have welded floor plates and some have removable floor plates. Is one better then the other or is it just a matter of preference? I imagine the welded floor plates fit more flush in the mag well compared to the removable ones.
You have much to learn grasshopper. As a general rule those with removable baseplates have extended tubes and are not flush to the bottom of the grip, but this isn't always the case. The Kimpro Tac Mag is flush and has a removal baseplate. Also, keep in mind that with flush compact mags the original intent was to put 6 rounds in the tube. Checkmate and Chip McCormick figured out how to create a folding follower which allows you to cram another round in there, but some believe you do so by downsizing the spring and then compressing it too much thereby reducing the spring life and reliably. Others thing it works just fine. Regardless of how you come out on that debate, there is no debating that cramming another round into the flush tube makes it harder to seat the magazine with a closed slide. It in not uncommon for folks to mix and match. They will use a flush mag for carry (6 or 7 rounds), but will use a non-flush (typically with a slam pad/large baseplate, and either 7 or 8 rounds) for their backup.

Also, most of the gun manufacturers (including Dan Wesson) use others to make their magazines. The Dan Wesson magazines are private labeled Checkmate magazines. I believe the Kimpro Tac magazines are also manufactured by Checkmate.

As for the Wilson magazine, a search of this forum will reveal that some have had to modify the basepad to allow the magazine to seat properly. I have no personal experience in this regard, but it made me leary.

Also, be careful with Chip McCormick (CMC) mags. They are supposed to be excellent magazines, but his follower is known to damage aluminum frames. He has developed a modified follower that is supposed to be aluminium frame safe, but I have no personal experience with it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocohillsguy View Post
You have much to learn grasshopper. As a general rule those with removable baseplates have extended tubes and are not flush to the bottom of the grip, but this isn't always the case. The Kimpro Tac Mag is flush and has a removal baseplate. Also, keep in mind that with flush compact mags the original intent was to put 6 rounds in the tube. Checkmate and Chip McCormick figured out how to create a folding follower which allows you to cram another round in there, but some believe you do so by downsizing the spring and then compressing it too much thereby reducing the spring life and reliably. Others thing it works just fine. Regardless of how you come out on that debate, there is no debating that cramming another round into the flush tube makes it harder to seat the magazine with a closed slide. It in not uncommon for folks to mix and match. They will use a flush mag for carry (6 or 7 rounds), but will use a non-flush (typically with a slam pad/large baseplate, and either 7 or 8 rounds) for their backup.

Also, most of the gun manufacturers (including Dan Wesson) use others to make their magazines. The Dan Wesson magazines are private labeled Checkmate magazines. I believe the Kimpro Tac magazines are also manufactured by Checkmate.

As for the Wilson magazine, a search of this forum will reveal that some have had to modify the basepad to allow the magazine to seat properly. I have no personal experience in this regard, but it made me leary.

Also, be careful with Chip McCormick (CMC) mags. They are supposed to be excellent magazines, but his follower is known to damage aluminum frames. He has developed a modified follower that is supposed to be aluminium frame safe, but I have no personal experience with it.
I was looking at the Checkmate magazines and there are so many different options for the same mag. Some are $20 and others are $30. What makes one better then the other. What's the difference between a flat follower and a check mate or a rounded follower? What makes one better than the other? Sorry for all of the questions, it's just a little confusing I appreciate your guy's feedback though. Thank you TocoHillsGuy
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654

Last edited by Gerlon2fingers; 06-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
tocohillsguy tocohillsguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlon2fingers View Post
I was looking at the Checkmate magazines and there are so many different options for the same mag. Some are $20 and others are $30. What makes one better then the other. What's the difference between a flat follower and a check mate or a rounded follower? What makes one better than the other? Sorry for all of the questions, it's just a little confusing I appreciate your guy's feedback though. Thank you TocoHillsGuy
It's confusing because you have so many choices that are designed to do essentially the same thing...feed a round into the chamber. Folks have given a lot of time and effort to figure out the best approach to accomplish that task. If you look at the top of the follower on your Dan Wesson/Checkmate magazine you'll notice there are patent numbers printed on it. Obviously Checkmate thought enough of its solution to patent the follower. In addition to the follower you have to consider the design of the feed lips and the strength of the springs and the magazine tube. Then there are issues with regard to the strength the baseplate and on and on it goes. Here are a few of the different follower approaches...



Bottom line. Some pistols seem to run on all of the magazines. Some pistols seem to run better with only some of the magazines. Additionally for some pistols some magazines will work better with ball ammo and some with hollow points. And then there are wadcutters. And to confuse you even more, the results are not always consistent across pistol models. For example, my Wesson CCO may run fine with a Wilson, and yours may not. I'm fortunate in that all of my 1911s seem to run well with every magazine I've tried. My advice is to stick with quality manufacturers, and stick with a follower that has a shirt in the front that keeps the follower from thrusting forward and gouging the aluminum frame.

Up to this point I think I've given you only generic information that few would debate. Now I will add some opinion that is certainly subject to debate. I think the principal advantage of the patented Checkmate follower is its ability to fold and allow one more round into a standard length tube. If you don't want or need an extra round in a standard length tube I'm not sure it's the best solution. You can use stronger and more robust springs and not stress them as much with an extended tube. Also the magazines seat easier with an extended tube. I think Tripp Cobras and Wilson ETM magazines are the best of the extended tube breed. I also like the Metalform Elite extended tube magazines. Having said that I'm using the stock flush tube 7 rounder in my CCO (because I want it to be flush, I want the extra round, and it seems to work), but not for the backup magazine. In that regard I've ironically ignored my own advice and converted a flush non-compact KimPro Tac 8 rounder into a compact mag. I'll see how it works out.

Last edited by tocohillsguy; 06-04-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Gerlon2fingers Gerlon2fingers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Age: 38
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocohillsguy View Post
It's confusing because you have so many choices that are designed to do essentially the same thing...feed a round into the chamber. Folks have given a lot of time and effort to figure out the best approach to accomplish that task. If you look at the top of the follower on your Dan Wesson/Checkmate magazine you'll notice there are patent numbers printed on it. Obviously Checkmate thought enough of its solution to patent the follower. In addition to the follower you have to consider the design of the feed lips and the strength of the springs and the magazine tube. Then there are issues with regard to the strength the baseplate and on and on it goes. Here are a few of the different follower approaches...



Bottom line. Some pistols seem to run on all of the magazines. Some pistols seem to run better with only some of the magazines. Additionally for some pistols some magazines will work better with ball ammo and some with hollow points. And then there are wadcutters. And to confuse you even more, the results are not always consistent across pistol models. For example, my Wesson CCO may run fine with a Wilson, and yours may not. I'm fortunate in that all of my 1911s seem to run well with every magazine I've tried. My advice is to stick with quality manufacturers, and stick with a follower that has a shirt in the front that keeps the follower from thrusting forward and gouging the aluminum frame.

Up to this point I think I've given you only generic information that few would debate. Now I will add some opinion that is certainly subject to debate. I think the principal advantage of the patented Checkmate follower is its ability to fold and allow one more round into a standard length tube. If you don't want or need an extra round in a standard length tube I'm not sure it's the best solution. You can use stronger and more robust springs and not stress them as much with an extended tube. Also the magazines seat easier with an extended tube. I think Tripp Cobras and Wilson ETM magazines are the best of the extended tube breed. I also like the Metalform Elite extended tube magazines. Having said that I'm using the stock flush tube 7 rounder in my CCO (because I want it to be flush, I want the extra round, and it seems to work), but not for the backup magazine. In that regard I've ironically ignored my own advice and converted a flush non-compact KimPro Tac 8 rounder into a compact mag. I'll see how it works out.
This helps immensely. You have really simplified the process for me purchasing some spare magazines and I really appreciate it.
__________________
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
COTEP #CBOB0654
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved