1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM

Is is truely possible to get IDPA Master with small guns?

Does anyone know someone with classification as IDPA Master with small guns for SSP Divison?

example: Glock 26, Ruger LC9, Sig p224 with IWB holsters...
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon567 View Post
Does anyone know someone with classification as IDPA Master with small guns for SSP Divison?

Hasn't Glock's Chris Edwards done that with a G26?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 AM

Those competing with realistic sized carry guns such as the Glock 26 are likely doing so merely to get as much trigger time with their actual carry gun as possible, while enjoying the competition. Few would likely choose a pistol any smaller than the Glock 17 (most opt for a 34/35 sized pistol) for actual competition. (ALthough I suspect Sevigny could still be in the running even using a Glock 29 with full house 10mm loads.)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Average Moderator

I feel sure there are any number of guys that can do it, but most of the ones that have the ability are interested in being as competitive as possible. Consequently, I don't think there are too many that have done it.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM

I am sure anyone can do it given enough rounds and shooter already know the fundamentals. the question is, why would you? those pistols have short grips that ends in the middle of a palm and some can be very uncomfortable. sacrificing shootability with concealability.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 PM

I made Master in SSP with a Steyr M9A1. It has a 4" barrel, more comparable to a G19 than a G26. I haven't tried a classifier with my Kahr PM40, tho I have shot the PM in matches. The reloads are tough when the bottom of the grip is buried inside your palm. The shooting part wouldn't be a problem. I'd expect to make EX easily with the PM.

Last edited by Ben B.; 06-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Small guns

I would think using a 4" gun for SSP would be entirely possible to shoot Master class scores. Since there is roughly a 9.4 second difference to make Master in SSP vs. ESP. The SSP division would be more likely to make Master than other smei auto gun divisions of IDPA using a shorter sight radius and lighter gun. I'm thinking the G19 and the M&P-9 with their 4" barrels would work fine. As long as the guns can still shoot 2.5" groups at 20 yds, it should be entirely possible in the hands of a good Master Class shooter.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B. View Post
I made Master in SSP with a Steyr M9A1.
Me too. Only I was using an older Steyr M9 and not an A1.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Burke View Post
I feel sure there are any number of guys that can do it, but most of the ones that have the ability are interested in being as competitive as possible. Consequently, I don't think there are too many that have done it.
+1...this strikes me as a whining point for people who don't shoot well enough to win. Oh its not fair, the rules aren't realistic, I'm just training for a street fight outside the quickie mart....nothing against the op, anything is possible if you practice enough. Especially in ssp
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon567 View Post

Totally. anything is possible with enough practice.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 PM

The top masters can shoot the classifier and make master with so much room to spare that it seems like they could easily do it with a smaller version of the gun they normally shoot. Vogel or Sevigny should have no problem doing it with a Glock 26.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM

The classifier doesn't change. There have been many people who just keep practicing the classifier till they get the score they want.
NRA Life Member
Old 06-18-2012, 03:57 PM
1911 Aficionado

I can shoot an Expert score with my full-size 1911, but can't shoot a Sharpshooter score with my Detonics (proved it again, Saturday). Someone who can shoot the classifier in 62 seconds with the gun they prefer, could probably shoot it in 95 seconds with just about anything.